Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Welcome to comment on my Cute Pet - Cockatiel

This is my cute pet Taro - Lupino Cockatiel that is totally golden yellow, radiating confidence and potentially aggressive.

It probably has a low IQ, not able to sing and not able to fly. It climbs the cage and the wall really well like how cats do in the neighbourhood. And he is not afraid of cats at all when cats were staring him through window.

This is supposed to be unique only to Australia. He has great temper! Waking me up 6 am every morning because that is his breakfast time...

Last edited by roentarre; 12-16-2006 at 03:19 PM.
12-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful bird. Should give provide many years of company and lots of photo ops. Whats the age? The golden color sure attracts attention.
thanks
barondla
12-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Taro

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Beautiful bird. Should give provide many years of company and lots of photo ops. Whats the age? The golden color sure attracts attention.
thanks
barondla
He is only 2 year old. I have this bird out of the cage most of the time. He poohs all the time, glides instead of flies all the time, screaming for food all the time, destroying anything woody all the time in the house.

I traced down the origin of Taro to a breeder in NSW of Australia. Only breeding cockatiels of lupino specie. I really like a pair of them but Taro costs me about 400 AUS dollars in his infancy. Not to even mention the food of highest nutrition content, the set up of the environment for him and toys etc. Costing me heaps.

Though at one stage, I was going to set up a large large large cage like the large ones in the wildbird sanctuary. The plan is set in my backyard using a carpenter. I wished I did not need to have the cage for Taro at all but there are too many cats in the neighbourhood that only kill native birds for sharpening their claws but not to eat them. The council of my area did not approve my design for the cage - 5 metres high, 9 metres long, 6 metres wide. Then I let Taro flying around in the house...

I had a little canary bird for its company and it was nearly attacked to death that i had to seperate them from each other...

Cockatiel are getting less and less in Australia - mainly due to environmental factors - humans humans humans including me...

cheers

Last edited by roentarre; 12-17-2006 at 01:11 AM.
12-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those guys can be real characters and I have seen them be very close companions. He definitely has the attitude. I like the compo on #2 & #5 best. Keep your wooden lenses in a safe place with their pooh covers on.

12-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #5

Cute tiel. My favorite is the fourth one down, with the blue background. Very nice close-ups. In the US they are called Latino's and fairly plentiful.
12-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the pastel like colors that blend in nicely with the subject.
great shots!

cheers

randy
12-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice bird! I like the second and the last shots the best. I can't imagine having such a high maintenance pet though.

12-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I did not know US has this bird called latinos at all. My reading is quite limited but I did come across in some readings that cockatiel is in the parrot family and it is unique only to oz. So I wonder maybe there are subtle differences?
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am from the US and own a cockatiel also. They are native only to OZ, but they have been imported into the US and are captive bred for pets. They are very common and wonderful pet birds here. The only ones out in the wild are ones that have escaped!

Mine is not a lutino, it is a pied, and he is 14 years old now. Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful bird!
12-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Carol, thanks for the input. Now I know why now there is a great shortage of cockatiels for the pet shops here because you guys have the passion for this lovely bird too!

Just like the Grange Hermitage of Penfolds... I could not even find a bottle of this vintage Bin 95 since 2001!! US really put the price up a lot