Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Bennett Quote
I'm also pretty certain that if Darwin was right the discussion about personal choice will be a moot point in a few generations as natural selection should ensure that only the pro helmet faction will be passing on their genetic material. ;-)
Alas, I've read that intelligence is only 30% inheritable. (Smart parents still produce dumb kids and vice-versa.) So, contrary to DARWIN AWARD doctrine, dummies killing themselves off before reaching breeding age do NOT clean up the genepool and increase general IQ. Too bad -- were it otherwise, we'd all be focking geniuses by now, eh?

07-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Alas, I've read that intelligence is only 30% inheritable.
That may be, but it has been my casual observation over the years that stupidity is about 90% inheritable.
07-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #48

Alas, I've read that intelligence is only 30% inheritable. (Smart parents still produce dumb kids and vice-versa.)
That explains my smart kids I guess.
07-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Look at the helmet ad that states the worthless German helmet is DOT Certified !!

Syracuse Motorcycle Accident Attorney Says New York Helmet Law Saves Lives - Press Release - Digital Journal

Someone at the DOT is brain dead also.
I'd love to know how that passed DOT standards. DOT sets the bar pretty low (lower than GB, the EU and Canada as well as others) but still it's hard to believe a brain bucket like that could pass
EDIT: Looked a little closer at them - essentially this is the same helmet as all the other certified half helmets, just with the German design over the top from what i can tell - so not one of the novelty items, but i'm always amazed a half helmet even passes
Personally I would look to Snell standards or something EU certified (the GB certification for a Racing helmet is actually the most stringent)

Last edited by eddie1960; 07-11-2011 at 05:48 AM.
07-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #50
Banned

Original Poster
There is no friggen way the helmets like that have an energy-absorbing liner like even a bicycle helmet that is not legal to use with a motorcycle.

This is the helmet I use on my mountain bike in the winter time and I have several other helmets that I use in warm weather that are all top quality.

My helmet that I use on my Kawasaki ZX-11:

This is a photo of my grandson using my Troy Lee Designs downhill mountain bike helmet that is not legal for motorcycle use:

Last edited by jogiba; 07-11-2011 at 09:24 AM.
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That may be, but it has been my casual observation over the years that stupidity is about 90% inheritable.
No, it's only 30% inheritable, but 90% transmissible. Unfortunately, we don't quarantine the vectors.
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alas, I've read that intelligence is only 30% inheritable. (Smart parents still produce dumb kids and vice-versa.) So, contrary to DARWIN AWARD doctrine, dummies killing themselves off before reaching breeding age do NOT clean up the genepool and increase general IQ. Too bad -- were it otherwise, we'd all be focking geniuses by now, eh?

Ok, if the point of 'Darwin Awards' wasn't facetious, they'd be both entirely counterproductive and a lot less funny.

07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chris
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ok, if the point of 'Darwin Awards' wasn't facetious, they'd be both entirely counterproductive and a lot less funny.
Oh, we the sadistic blood-thirsty public are always amused by the spectacular ways foolish people manage to extinguish themselves. Other people, that is. Humor is based on other people's pain. At a distance. When it's too close, too personal, it's not so funny. And when I drove the ambulance to motorcycle wreck scenes, it wasn't funny at all.