Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Banned

Netflix price change coming Sep 1st

I have the $11.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) 1 out at-a-time but starting Sep 1st it will be :
Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 1 out at-a-time (no streaming)
for $9.99 a month
So the combo will be $17.98 a month or $5.99 more each month and I think I will just get the $7.99 streaming deal and just buy my Blu-Ray movies from Amazon like Inception for $18.99 w/free shipping that included both a Blu-Ray and DVD disk along with a free digital copy download that I have on my 64GB iPod Touch 4G with 960x640 Retina Display.

07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same plan.
Oh well, so much for that very good deal, now it is just a good deal. We stream a lot so it is still worth it and their selection is getting better,
07-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
My local supermarket has Redbox for $1 DVD and $1.50 for blu-ray so I have that option.
DVD Rental | New Movies on Blu-Ray™ and DVD at Redbox
07-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #4

I am cheap, ergo Netflix streaming plus one standard DVD at a time and no Comcast DVR. If your pricing is correct, it will be streaming only.

07-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We quit everything but cable internet last year for media. We go the films once in a while, but more often we just go to the library where it's all free. We might have to wait an extra month or two to see something we like, but they usually get whatever we need to see. Netflix has a few odd things I've thought about going that route for, but in the end I decided it's just money down the drain, like cable.

You should forget Netflix and check your local library, seriously. They have everything from TV shows to the latest films usually and if they don't they can usually get it from somewhere. It may only be a ten spot a month, but that's 12 ten spots a year and that's $120 a year.

$120 is a good used LENS.

Save up that Netflix cash for 2 years and you could buy it new.

Now, which would you rather have gotten? Access to a bunch of movies you'll likely forget watching a month after you've seen them? Or a new lens for your camera that will last you years, and years, and years...

07-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I opted for the $7.99 streaming only. I haven't used the mail service much anyway so its a buck or so less per month. The other local DVD/BluRay options are always available anyway. I do think they may loose a few customers and the 'streamers' only will make a drop in the gross for sure. It still is a great service here using FIOS.
07-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I can't see how they were making much money using their original business model.
Perhaps the investors are demanding greater profits.

So will mailed DVDs still be available? We still handle a great though decreasing number of these at USPS.

Chris
They raised the price of mailed DVD/blu-ray by $6 a month. The $7.99 streaming is the same so I will only keep that since I get it on my HDTV with Apple TV , PC, laptop, Mac and 64GB iPod Touch 4G using 802.11n. wi-fi.

07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So, is there still at 1 DVD at a time, 2 per month plan? That's what I have been doing for $5.99/month. If I have to pay much more than that, I will have to cancel. It's already over $3/movie when you include tax. That's about all I'm willing to spend.

I used to rent and watch at least one movie per weekend, but my movie viewing has declined a lot the past few years. I just don't have the time. Or rather, I would rather spend what free time I have in different ways.

I have a feeling once I catch up with BBC's Being Human series, I'm done with Netflix.
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
So, is there still at 1 DVD at a time, 2 per month plan? That's what I have been doing for $5.99/month. If I have to pay much more than that, I will have to cancel. It's already over $3/movie when you include tax. That's about all I'm willing to spend.

I used to rent and watch at least one movie per weekend, but my movie viewing has declined a lot the past few years. I just don't have the time. Or rather, I would rather spend what free time I have in different ways.

I have a feeling once I catch up with BBC's Being Human series, I'm done with Netflix.
New rates:
1 DVD out at-a-time
(limit 2 rentals a month) $4.99 a month
$5.99 a month with Blu-ray
07-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
New rates:
1 DVD out at-a-time
(limit 2 rentals a month) $4.99 a month
$5.99 a month with Blu-ray
Thank you for that. If that's true, that's exactly what I'm paying now.
07-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both streaming and DVD, but I find that the majority of things I want to see are only on DVD. I may have to cancel the DVD service, keep the streaming for $7.99, and just get one or two new movies a month at Redbox. I probably only do 5-6 DVDs a month through Netflix, so it will come out cheaper on Redbox vs. the additional $7.99.