Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Amazon Marketing Using Pentax Camera

I wonder if this is just another example of Amazon's extremely creepy marketing or just a coincidence. I got a piece in the mail today from Amazon/Chase for my amazon visa card and a new "Shop With Points" program they have. On the flyer it has four products - A Mad Men DVD, a silver colored watch, a toy transformer truck, and a Pentax K-r - other than the pentax none of those are the least bit relevant to my interests. I bought my k-x from adorama although I did purchase my DA 21 from amazon... If they wanted to target the product I spend the most money on from amazon they would have advertised diapers.

Does anyone else have this card received this flyer, if so did you get the exact same four products or did you get a different mix of products?

07-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be willing to bet that every card they sent out had 3 generic cheap items and one high-dollar item that was targeted to the person it was sent to. Companies like Amazon have very sophisticated market analysis tools these days and your purchase of a Pentax lens indicates a preference for Pentax cameras. If you'd ordered a Canon lens the offer would have been a Canon Rebel of some kind. And if you'd ordered a $3000 Pentax lens the offer would have been a K-5 rather than the less expensive K-r. That's how granular and specific they can get.

Mike
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
That's how granular and specific they can get.
Thats why I said creepy. I expect that stuff from them with email marketing but was kind of shocked with the direct snail mailer.