Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Banned

Feels like 136° in Nebraska !

Weather Underground

Last edited by jogiba; 07-19-2011 at 11:03 AM.
07-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gee, I'm about an hour and a half from Broken Bow and we're a cool 92 degrees ATTM with an expected high of 99F. With the 73 degree dewpoint (humid, humid, HUMID) it will feel like 109F. Makes mowing the lawn extra fun.
07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
95° dew point with 108° air temp = 172° heat index

07-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was a bit humid in Minnesota a couple of days ago, too.
QuoteQuote:
The dew point, which measures the amount of moisture in the air, tied an all-time Twin Cities record of 81 Sunday. The last time it got that high was July 30, 1999. The state dew point record of 86 was also tied at Madison, MN Sunday night. Meteorologist Ken Barlow did some checking and found the only other spot in the Western Hemisphere with a dew point in the 80's Sunday was the Amazon Jungle in South America.

07-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Gee, I'm about an hour and a half from Broken Bow and we're a cool 92 degrees ATTM with an expected high of 99F. With the 73 degree dewpoint (humid, humid, HUMID) it will feel like 109F. Makes mowing the lawn extra fun.
A lovely comfortable 59 degrees here in Gig Harbor, a mile from Puget Sound's waters Summertime conditions like that are why I am *NEVER* moving back there. I'll come visit the 'hood maybe, but ain't no way nohow we're going back into that...

On the other hand I do miss those nice clear crisp winter days!

Jim
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I wish I were somewhere near Puget Sound so I could miss them too.
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Here in NJ the forecast is showing three 100°+ days in a row for the first time that I could remember and with the humidity it will be much higher !

Here is a 130° heat index in Newton Iowa at 6:15 pm CDT !

Last edited by jogiba; 07-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.
07-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
A lovely comfortable 59 degrees here in Gig Harbor, a mile from Puget Sound's waters Summertime conditions like that are why I am *NEVER* moving back there. I'll come visit the 'hood maybe, but ain't no way nohow we're going back into that...

Jim
It's all relative, isn't it. 59F is a cold winter's day and has me longing for warmer days around 80F But then, it's mostly low humidity here.

Richard.
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm semi-used to 90 something and sweltering for a good part of the year actually though I really don't like it and I do stay in the AC as much as possible. But anything over 95 and even with the AC on and I tend to whine and then fade rapidly. I've only been in 100 plus degree heat once, for a week while in PA. It only got to 102 degrees actually but that heat plus high humidity it nearly did me in.

We didn't have AC in that place. I stayed out a lot, but I had to take care that the cats didn't get sick so I had to be home at times. I could escape to the Penn State library which was down the street, but I had no money to go elsewhere. I really wanted to take the cats and go, but it just wasn't possible. I stayed with them in the bathroom with the fans blasting and ice water in buckets in front of them. I slept in wet sheets in the bath. I was practically hyperventilating I was so hot even then.

I got extremely ill at one point. When it finally broke and it rained and the heat ended I nearly wept. I never want to know weather that hot ever again. Not ever. I'm liking the idea of WA state actually. That area sounds about perfect weather-wise to me.
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oof. More crazy extremes. You know it's weird when even the ridiculous heat down here doesn't seem so bad. At least not at the moment, but it looks like we're headed for triple digits again the next two days. It's strange to me to be living somewhere you're dependent on air conditioning, but it seems a lot more of the country has become just that. When I was a kid, only rich people had AC, really.
07-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Where the hell have you been lately, RML?

Well? We're waiting...........

07-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Where the hell have you been lately, RML?

Well? We're waiting...........

Oof, well, suffice it to say we've had major disruptions in our plans for life, dear one's career, and what to do with me, at least for a while. Kind of have been alternately running crazy, dropping from exhaustion, stress, (not very good for someone with my kind of health problems) and trying to salvage some of what I've been trying to cobble together all these years on my own career front.

The heat-wave sure hasn't helped, either.

Didn't leave a lot of room for thinking much about photography, but I think I've at least got a pretty secure fallback position here, where I don't lose everything... Again, ... as long as disability checks don't stop coming, (Great timing, Washington, just great.) and seem to have fended off total collapse at a dream deferred yet again. It's just what happens when you're in a vulnerable position, trying to shoestring something together, while you and near everyone around are getting squeezed from all sides. Almost, you know?

So, in short, I've been pretty occupied. Think I'm going to be settling in for a grind, though, only so much that can be done till I get some more information on what's possible.
07-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I actually had an easy night at work. I'm a refrigeration mechanic for a food company. I had no reefer breakdowns and only 2 truck AC write ups. I'll be happy if the rest of the week goes this smooth. I spent more time fixing trailer lights. Go figure.
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's fairly nice in my Sierra Nevada mountain hamlet right now, and the Central Valley smog hasn't boiled over lately. Unseasonably cool now -- the rest of USA get to broil. But last week was 100f and next week will be too. Ugh.

Many years ago in my wasted youth I spent a summer in upstate NY between Rochester (KODAK COUNTRY!) and Syracuse, north of Canandaigua Lake. I made the mistake of bicycling or a humid July day. Temp and humidity were both about 98, I don't know the THI but it was like exercising inside a boiling steam kettle. This reinforced my view that USA east of the Rocky Mtns is unfit for human habitation and should be condemned and torn down.
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It was a bit humid in Minnesota a couple of days ago, too.
Broke the state record today I believe!