Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
And I live in two of them, so it was easier to just say "Atlantic Canada". I'm a grad student, I spend about half my time at university, the other half working from home. I didn't want to put Halifax, Nova Scotia as my location, it's not my permanent home. Nobody's heard of the small community where I live, and not many have heard of Sackville, the nearest town that would appear on a map. Most people think I mean Sackville, NS, ~300 km away, near Halifax! So I can give my location as somewhere I don't really live, somewhere that everyone will confuse with someplace else, or somewhere that nobody's heard of. I identify myself as an Atlantic Canadian, not as a Nova Scotian or New Brunswicker. The rest of Canada likes to lump us all together, why fight it? Also, the community I live in is so small that it would be laughably easy to find me. Call me paranoid, but I don't like to be easily located. My photos probably give ample clues, but at least you'd have to work hard at it, not just google a place name.

However, I had no idea that anyone would mistake "Atlantic Canada" for a province - sorry, Arpe! I just wanted to locate myself in the region with which I identify, without being too specific. Oh, JCSullivan suggested including your county - okay, I'm in Westmorland County. Ever heard of it?

Julie

Julie, you can count me in as a Nobody too
I have been thourgh there I believe.....many years ago now.

I am now a Westcoaster, I live just south of Vancouver, BC....Actually within walking distance of the airport (takes me about an hour to walk there). Richmond is a nice little island...that sits just below sea level

11-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I wasn't referring to you specifically when I said Atlantic Canada so, sorry if you took offence to it - none was meant.
None taken, sorry if I sounded snarky. I just figure Atlantic Canada is exact enough - if someone is anywhere in the Atlantic provinces, unless they're in the furthest reaches of Labrador, they're in my area as far as I'm concerned.

Julie
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Julie, you can count me in as a Nobody too
I'd be a little surprised if you'd heard of the place I officially live in - anyone who's gone from NB to NS has passed through Sackville, but very few go down Wood Point Road and pass through our little burgh. Unless they're lost!

Richmond is a nice little island...that sits just below sea level
Hah! Living below sea level is a possibility around here, too, as you probably know. We made a point of buying a place up on a hill. We have a lovely view across to a large dyked area near Amherst, NS, sometimes referred to as The Elysian Fields. A bit of sea level rise, and it's going to be The Elysian Mudflats.

Julie
11-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd be a little surprised if you'd heard of the place I officially live in - anyone who's gone from NB to NS has passed through Sackville, but very few go down Wood Point Road and pass through our little burgh. Unless they're lost!
That could very well have been....When travelling with my mom and grandparents I would wake up in the back and we would be driving down some dirt road not quite sure where I am....all because my mom or grandpa saw something that looked interesting.

Hah! Living below sea level is a possibility around here, too, as you probably know. We made a point of buying a place up on a hill. We have a lovely view across to a large dyked area near Amherst, NS, sometimes referred to as The Elysian Fields. A bit of sea level rise, and it's going to be The Elysian Mudflats.

Julie
Ya seeing that we have been getting warnings about an earthquake that will drown Richmond for oh about 15 years now....I have been looking for places elsewhere...A little higher

11-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in Colorado Springs Colorado. If any other Pentax owners are around here send me a email.

Jim
11-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Think I probably would be able to claim the price...

... for living in the msot remote location

A country where no roads connects the cities, total population is 56.000 (entire country)
I live just outside the capital (population 15.000).

The actual Location is called Nuussuaq, located just outside Nuuk in Greenland.

Now, few Pentaxians live here, i think i am the only serious one (but we do have two camera shops, both carrying Pentax).

Anyone comming by here would actually just have to ask for Thomas (yeah that weird bald guy) when arriving in the airport to find me

I think it is a place where surprise visits are quite rare, anyone passing by are highly welcome though.
Lastly a photo of our local bus service in normal operating conditions:
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
You'd be amazed at the number of people who think that AR is the abbreviation for Arizona.
No kidding? I know I've heard many-a-pirate say that, and all along I didn't know they were talking about Arizona. Hmmm.

Anyway, I live in the northern border of Wisconsin-Michigan in a small town called Niagara. As I travel I am asked many times if I'm from Canada because I appearently have a Canadian accent. Whats up wit that ey?

So, before anyone asks, no it is not Niagara Falls, but yes we do have a falls...only smaller....ey.

11-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #23
Forum Member

I live in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
11-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Brooklyn,NY (New York)
11-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Gibsons BC for me, home of the Beachcombes (for the CBC buffs in the crowd) to but soon to be moving back to Vancouver (take a deep breath) to Pentaxians in the Vancouver area, Howdy!!
11-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I live just south of Vancouver, BC....Actually within walking distance of the airport (takes me about an hour to walk there).
Ok - I give; why the heck would you want to walk to the airport?

BTW - I live in Northeastern Ontario. (Clue: Canada's tallest free-standing smoke stack is within sight of my humble abode.)
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heiloo, the Netherlands
11-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
even I had thought that MO was for Montana. It isn't.
I thought it stood for Adam!

Like Arpe, I too would REALLY like to see people fill-in their locality information in full and that includes City, State and Country. If there's a privacy issue then perhaps the County instead of the City.
I just thought country is the least we can do, especially if talking about laws etc. Also it's just interesting to see who the people you are conversing with are from.

On the other hand New Zealand (this goes for Italy and other nations) might be small but dang, other New Zealanders might be looking for the same thing I am.
Any NZer (and lots of Aussies) will see what part of the country I am from from my avatar!

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Gainesville, VA
Vienna? Where tf is VA?

However, I had no idea that anyone would mistake "Atlantic Canada" for a province - sorry, Arpe!
No worries, at least I knew the country.

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
Lucky for me, I live in one of the easier states to recognize.

"GA"
Yeah right. Not easy for the rest of the world though!

I'm not worked up about this, I just think it's polite to let people know where your from, unless you have reason not to (such as being lazy ), and that one shouldn't assume that everyone in the whole world knows what the 2 letters in your location stand for. There is a word that covers that latter situation, but I would not dare use it on any forum.
11-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've been everywhere man

Being an Air force brat I have been around (Julie I went to high school in Aylesford
NS and then off Mount Allison NB a life time ago so I don’t recognize your town but have been in the area certainly Sackville eh )

Where I am from? Born in France, A few homes have been Petawawa Ont., St, Bruno and St. Hubert in Que. (during the FLQ crisis - starting to reveal my age eh !) Greenwood NS, summers in Summerside PEI, then off to Toronto, back to Greenwood and finally Edmonton for 'a few years' that has turned into 28 years! Now residing in a Suburb of the city Strathcona County, Got kids old enough now to start their own adventure soon (or so that is the dream haha).
11-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, here's the north-west corner of the lot/driveway. Guests are welcome 9AM-9PM MST; typically they bring the beer.