Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
There is a word that covers that latter situation, but I would not dare use it on any forum.
What the heck, go ahead and use it. I'm pretty sure that I have a good word I can use in response.

11-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #32
ramshot

I live in Washington, Illinois in the United States Of America.

If you are not sure where someone lives, why not just politely ask "Where is Savannah, GA?" And with all the different online map sites it is very easy to look up someones location.
11-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I live on the coast of Oregon, the state just north of California and south of Washington. From our deck we can see the beautiful Pacific about three football fields in length to the west and the Coastal Mountains about a mile to the east. It's all soooo blah!

11-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in a very dry Australia.(in midst of a very long horrendous drought)
On the East coast (Pacific) about 100 miles north of Sydney.
Newcastle had a bad reputation as an industrial city, but no longer (Steelworks etc closed down.) Still have huge coal mining and exporting.
Nice place to live. And with one of the finest wine growing regions in the world.
Thats us Aussie ( and Kiwi) Pentaxians hanging onto the bottom of the globe

11-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

I actually live in un-encorporated King County. About half way between Redmond (to the south) and Woodinville (to the NNE). The zip code is Woodinville WA (Washington state not DC) USA

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I live in Paris, France in Montmartre 18th district...My favorite part of Paris.

Ben
11-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Gods Country Australia a tad north of Bramela..Which must say that drought your way should just about be over from the rain your getting at present ey mate??..
Cheers

11-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #38
Veteran Member

hi,

another australian, Originally from adelaide but I live about 30km out of armidale, roughly 450 nw of sydney and 450km sw of brisbane, nice country town but cold (gets to around -10/-12C in winter, which is cold for Oz but doesn't have the killer summers and one of the few places is thankfully very rarely affected by drought.

To be more specific though, I live in a house called 'mihi', on a cattle property called 'mihi', which is on 'mihi' rd, in what is technically the locality of 'mihi' (population about 20) - but if you were to send mail to 'mihi' I wouldn't get it the owner of the property would (he lives in the newer house). But if you got a envelope and wrote phil postcode 2351, I would get it for that matter if you just put 2351 on it, I would probably get as the postoffice would say, I bet this is yours
11-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Any NZer (and lots of Aussies) will see what part of the country I am from from my avatar!
You're defeating your own argument - how in the H are the rest of the world supposed to know what a yellow jerey or the Hurricanes are.

As for many of the rest, I think you're missing the whole argument. The point I was trying to make, not very well it seems - Modify your Profile to give the rest of us an idea what part of the world you live in, with more than just Canada, US, Europe, Australia or China.

If you don't feel like, no sweat, no problem, no big deal.
11-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #40
Inactive Account

I'm from Lancaster/Lancaster county Pennsylvania, USA better known as PA. It is a medium size town in the south central part of the state better known for it's Amish culture and tourism. It is 35 miles east of Harrisburg (the state capitol) and 74 miles west of Philadelphia.
11-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
When travelling with my mom and grandparents I would wake up in the back and we would be driving down some dirt road not quite sure where I am....all because my mom or grandpa saw something that looked interesting.
Heh, that sounds like travelling with my dad. Or me, for that matter! We're not so far off the beaten path that our road is dirt, but it does turn to dirt maybe 5 km beyond our house.

Julie
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Ok, here's the north-west corner of the lot/driveway. Guests are welcome 9AM-9PM MST; typically they bring the beer.
13 S 0357397-3884316 -- Is that NAD 83? Maybe it's my conversion into DMS, or Google Maps' inaccuracy, but it puts the marker out in the street, and not near the NW corner of anything. Is yours the T-shaped one with the pale roof? It's the only one that might have its driveway on the north side...

Julie
11-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, Papou things have improved a bit here. Rain is still very intermittent. I believe things
are a lot worse up your way. "Beautiful one day, perfect the next" is what they say of Qld isn't it? Haven't been up there in many years, mores the pity.
11-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL-quick 'grab' with handheld GPS--not averaged over several 'readings' which would have been more accurate. And I didn't let it settle until it was well 'locked'. Didn't really expext anyone to 'look-me-up' so soon/quickly.

Pale roof?-never really thought about it,; had to go compare to others in the neighborhood----yep, it's pale! And 'T' shaped. Did you see the car too?

Next time you get that close, stop in; we'll have a few laughs.

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
13 S 0357397-3884316 -- Is that NAD 83? Maybe it's my conversion into DMS, or Google Maps' inaccuracy, but it puts the marker out in the street, and not near the NW corner of anything. Is yours the T-shaped one with the pale roof? It's the only one that might have its driveway on the north side...

Julie
11-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Didn't really expext anyone to 'look-me-up' so soon/quickly.
You're dealing with (a) a techno-nerd and (b) a procrastinating grad student. So of course I opened up MapInfo, punched in the coordinates in NAD83 UTM, switched to decimal degrees, converted to DMS by hand (well, calculator...), put it into Google Maps, and... voila! Switch to satellite view, and there you are, pale roof and all.

I just now realised that Google Maps accepts decimal degrees, so the conversion step was uneccessary.

Did you see the car too?
Not unless you were parked across the street!

Next time you get that close, stop in; we'll have a few laughs.
Be careful what you suggest, you never know, I might have a conference down that way someday. But of course, I will bring the beer...

Julie