Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where do you live

Start of EDIT

The reason for this thread is to encourage you to enter the: Country, State/Province, City/Town or Region in your profile.

It helps to make friends and aquintances.

End of EDIT

This subject came-up in another section of the forum but I thought it best to open a new thread on the subject rather than hijack a thread.

I am lucky that I know most of the abreviations of the US states but even I had thought that MO was for Montana. It isn't.

Like Arpe, I too would REALLY like to see people fill-in their locality information in full and that includes City, State and Country. If there's a privacy issue then perhaps the County instead of the City.

Often I would like to see if there are other Pentax users from my area but without this info the members search gives me 1 - yup that's me. Atlantic Canada is huge and incorporates 4 of Canada's 10 provinces. On the other hand New Zealand (this goes for Italy and other nations) might be small but dang, other New Zealanders might be looking for the same thing I am.

Like I said, people might have a privacy issue and that's OK. Oh, and BTW I don't know how to look-up Longitude and Latitude and have always wondered where X (can't remember the name right now) is from.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 01-28-2008 at 02:40 PM.
11-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MO is not Montana?

JK
11-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Gainesville, VA
11-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Complete listing of State Abbreviations

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
MO is not Montana?

JK
Nope - it's MT... MO is Missouri, AK is Alaska, and AR is Arkansas...

For some reason (no clue why), many Americans in the north or coastal areas think AK is Arkansas... and geographically that's quite a ways off...

Complete listing is here:
United States Postal Service - Abbreviations

I am near Fayetteville, AR...

Cheers,
Marc

11-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Nope - it's MT... MO is Missouri, AK is Alaska, and AR is Arkansas...

For some reason (no clue why), many Americans in the north or coastal areas think AK is Arkansas... and geographically that's quite a ways off...

Complete listing is here:
United States Postal Service - Abbreviations

I am near Fayetteville, AR...

Cheers,
Marc
And there you have it Buddha, you don't got to be a Cannuck to have that one wrong.
11-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Okay, why not. It should be easy to see now where I am from. I thought about adding my long and lat but not sure that would help
11-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #7

I'm from Lommel in Belgium (might be better known in I say Brussels, but that's just our Capital even tough I think some people believe Belgium is the Capital of Brussels).

11-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #8

I live in Oaxaca, Mexico.
11-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Atlantic Canada is huge and incorporates 4 of Canada's 10 provinces.
And I live in two of them, so it was easier to just say "Atlantic Canada". I'm a grad student, I spend about half my time at university, the other half working from home. I didn't want to put Halifax, Nova Scotia as my location, it's not my permanent home. Nobody's heard of the small community where I live, and not many have heard of Sackville, the nearest town that would appear on a map. Most people think I mean Sackville, NS, ~300 km away, near Halifax! So I can give my location as somewhere I don't really live, somewhere that everyone will confuse with someplace else, or somewhere that nobody's heard of. I identify myself as an Atlantic Canadian, not as a Nova Scotian or New Brunswicker. The rest of Canada likes to lump us all together, why fight it? Also, the community I live in is so small that it would be laughably easy to find me. Call me paranoid, but I don't like to be easily located. My photos probably give ample clues, but at least you'd have to work hard at it, not just google a place name.

However, I had no idea that anyone would mistake "Atlantic Canada" for a province - sorry, Arpe! I just wanted to locate myself in the region with which I identify, without being too specific. Oh, JCSullivan suggested including your county - okay, I'm in Westmorland County. Ever heard of it?

Julie

Last edited by foxglove; 11-21-2007 at 08:34 AM.
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
And I live in two of them, so it was easier to just say "Atlantic Canada". I'm a grad student, I spend about half my time at university, the other half working from home. I didn't want to put Halifax, Nova Scotia as my location, it's not my permanent home. Nobody's heard of the small community where I live, and not many have heard of Sackville, the nearest town that would appear on a map. Most people think I mean Sackville, NS, ~300 km away, near Halifax! So I can give my location as somewhere I don't really live, somewhere that everyone will confuse with someplace else, or somewhere that nobody's heard of. I identify myself as an Atlantic Canadian, not as a Nova Scotian or New Brunswicker. The rest of Canada likes to lump us all together, why fight it? Also, the community I live in is so small that it would be laughably easy to find me. Call me paranoid, but I don't like to be easily located. My photos probably give ample clues, but at least you'd have to work hard at it, not just google a place name.

However, I had no idea that anyone would mistake "Atlantic Canada" for a province - sorry, Arpe! I just wanted to locate myself in the region with which I identify, without being too specific.

Julie
Hi Julie!

Hmm, guess you can now call me "Nobody" - do I capitalize the "N"???

Reason: my cousins used to own the Ft. Beausejour Motel, so I am quite familiar with the area... Not sure if they still do... probably bought out by a chain or something... I need an update from my mom on that one!

I am the same way - trying to find me is not a simple task...

Cheers,
Marc
11-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm, guess you can now call me "Nobody" - do I capitalize the "N"???
Hah! I might've known somebody would turn out to be nobody!

I see that I did, in a fit of honesty, reveal my actual location in a thread some time ago, so I assume you're referring to that, and not Sackville. So congratulations, you are one of the few. Of course, to anyone local coming to deliver something or do a repair, I'm "Out the Wood Point road in May Cole's old house," even though we've lived here for ten years!

Julie
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #12

I live in one of the suburbs of Detroit Michigan.
I don't normally write out my city name because most 'city' text fields are not long enough to accept the full name anyway. (Saint Clair Shores)

-John (I think my location is set right) Tobias
11-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I live in Norman, Oklahoma where the population grows by 80,000 every Sat. during football season. What a trafic mess.
11-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like I said, for privacy reason people might not want to include the City - I am not interested in knowing exactly where you live but it sure would be nice to know other people on the forum are from my area or, perhaps people might be planning a trip to this area and want to get together.

I guess I'm not like the rest, I don't put every one in one basket and so to me you (Julie) have a distinct identity. Look, I wasn't referring to you specifically when I said Atlantic Canada so, sorry if you took offence to it - none was meant.

When I asked for people's location I meant for people to update their profile not specifically this thread. If you don't want to, no problem, no sweat. Threads will die as they get old but the individual's profile will always be current and up-to-date.
11-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Ed in GA

Cheers,
Marc
You'd be amazed at the number of people who think that AR is the abbreviation for Arizona.

Lucky for me, I live in one of the easier states to recognize.

"GA"