Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go here:
Molex connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And scroll down half the page. Molex connectors are usually white.

07-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Go here:
Ah, so, they're a brand name applying to several different connectors.. When that was mentioned I was thinking it was a standardized thing, optimistically, like Romex or something. NM.

(But, I gather, in those, yellow's live like I thought ? As a computer scientist I make a hack of an electrician, you see. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-23-2011 at 10:28 PM.
07-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Thanks, Ripit. I should have a decent multimeter. I should also have a stitch of clothing newer than my primary camera, but we do what we can. *wink.*

It does seem nearly impossible for me to actually fit enough devices to this machine to manage to overtax the power supply, but I appreciate the details. My thanks. At least if you'll tell me what a molex plug is. Yellow, I presume, goes to something always-live,ie secondary stuff?
Sounds like maybe you know a little less than I thought you did but I'm serious about it being an option to test it. If you live near a harbor freight tool, they occasionally put multi meters on sale as cheap a 3$. Any cheapo multi meter will do the job if you can find one locally that cheap. in fact they are on sale online for 3$ right now
Digital Multimeter - Save on this 7 Function Digital Multimeter
If there is a harbor freight tool store near you, they honor online prices in store but print the page with the price for the price match (they run them on sale in store that cheap but not always at the same time as online).

As far as what is a molex, they are a type of plug (usually white plastic though may of mine are blue or green and glow under uv light, lol). You will see a large bundle of wires that goes to a big white molex plug on the motherboard. You will see 1 or more (most have 2 or 3) groups of wires that have 1 red and one yellow wire on the outsides, and 2 black wires in the middle. There will probably be a white plastic connector on the end (molex connector), and 1 or more similar white molex connectors inline in the middle of the wires. it may also have a much smaller white connector (thats a floppy drive connector). Use the 4 wire connectors.
Set your multi meter to measure voltage. With the computer running, put the red connector from the multi meter to the hole in the connector that lines up with the red wire. Put the black multimeter leed to the black connector next to it. It is safe to do this with the computer running. Make note of the voltage. At the end of the conector, there are holes where you can just stick the pin from the multimeter leed in. You will probably have to hold it in place though. Repeat on the other side with the red multi meter leed going to the molex conector hole that lines up with the yellow wire, and the black to the black one next to it.
This may or may not sound scary, but when you see what I'm talking about, its not, its very easy. Its also low voltage so you are not going to get shocked.

Yellow should be 12v and red should be 5v. Se how far out they go. One thing to note. With the computer idle (not processing anything), it uses a lot less power and will have less issue. test idle, then test with the computer processing something, playing video, processing image files etc, whatever makes the computer work. When its working hard is when you may have an issue. you could run prime 95 if you like (free program, google it). It will make the computer cpu work at full capacity. I wouldn't use prime95 to start with though. If it is borderline it could push it over the edge (so could any kind of intensive processing) and make your power supply go bang. Check it idle, then check it with some video running, then maybe with some photo files being processed, then prime 95. Prime 95 only makes the computer do what it is supposed to do, process equations, but it makes it do it to its maximum capability meaning maximum heat and maximum electricity usage. Its often used by computer builders to test new built systems. If it can not run prime 95 without errors, then there is a defective par (or in the case of the power supply, and overloaded part).
07-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Go here:
Ok that was a lot simpler than my long explanation. Why didn't I think of that (homer simpson moment).

07-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing worth doing with an old computer would be chasing dust bunnies out with compressed air (canned, usually) and a vacuum cleaner. Cooling depends on air flow and direct contact of that air with the surfaces in need of cooling, dust hampers both. A cooler running computer is a more reliable, longer-lived and less power consuming one.
07-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #36

its usually better to replace the internals than keep old tech alive. But you kind of have to wait for deals

eg. cpu + motherboard $100
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2 GHz $59.99 Mico Center B&M
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2 GHz $59.99 Mico Center B&M - ***************
4gb memory is like $40

That's $140 for a modern system that will beat any p4 setups even with video cards.

I haven't looking in to adobo benchmarks, but I kind of doubt a videocard makes a different. People often misunderstand where a videocard helps. Eg., videocards don't do crap about decoding heavy compressed videos, although marketing will tell you different. Yes, a videocard can decode now, but cpu+memory does it better. Codecs matter more.

update I was right, videocard has not significant impact with photoshop. discussed I would definitely skip it and use an onboard video.

Last edited by bob13bob; 07-24-2011 at 02:03 AM.
07-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bob13bob Quote
its usually better to replace the internals than keep old tech alive. But you kind of have to wait for deals
I totally agree. Its more cost effective (same price or cheaper total) and you can do even better than that with a motherboard cpu combo from newegg or frys if there is one near you. Micro center also has some decent combo's from time to time. You can get a budget motherboard and cpu for closer to 50-60$ though (since original poster wants to go cheap). The last budget combo I got was a biostar motherboard and amd sempron x2 2300 (a year ago at newegg, you can get better for the same price now). It was 50$ motherboard, 35$ cpu - 35$ combo discount = 50$ total. A newer motherboard is going to have better graphics power than an old cheap agp video card anyway.

Just one problem though. That looks like a small form factor pc and may not fit a standard micro atx board. I guess there is no telling for sure till he actually gets the computer.

One more note to the OP, that was an abnormally low price for ddr memory. Seller had no feedback and now the listing is gone. People might have snatched it all up, but I think its more likely some issue and the listing was removed by ebay (the listing isn't ended, it is completely gone as in removed). 2 GB of ddr is going to cost more like 50$ (maybe a little cheaper if you find a deal but deals on ddr are rare). 4 GB of ddr3 is more like 30$ and having 4 GB of memory over the 1GB you have now will make a difference with photo processing.