Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ongoing "News of the World" saga in the UK:

This saga tells the story of the depths of depravity that the media will go to to "give the people what they want" and thus sell the most "news" papers.

Here is an amusing clip showing Piers Morgans interaction with a UK member of Parliament on this scandal:

Morgan to MP: 'Show Some Balls' - The Daily Beast

07-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rupert Murdoch skirts the issue with same lame excuse used by so many ardent nazies at nuremburg trials after WW2.
Statement was along line of [I donno,not my buisness], Same by nazies got them hung.
The man fosters climate with the kind of behaviour displayed by employees running rampant over humanity.
"This wicked man's" minions has caused pain no different than ossama bin laden
and media alludes to his holdings as if to say "this suckah's too big to go down".Reality is,ignorance is NO excuse.
We watch poor Rupert and sympathize with him,shame the scondrels that soiled his good name.

Meanwhile,back in the states.
After a few seconds we snap back to reality and face the important things in life...
where the heck is that Anthony chick?
How could "Jersey Shore" beshirmch good name of that state?
Poor J-low,how could that jerk dump that bubble butt beauty?
oh yeah,almost forgot.
Lawmakers prepare to ammend our constitution on behest of teaparty.
07-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

He's got more than a cream pie in the face coming to him. The tabloid buying public are furious with him. Ironically the same public who lapped up his so-called newspaper.
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Related NYT op-ed: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/opinion/19nocera.html

07-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People should stop being worried about the details of this 'scandal' and start worrying (if you haven't been for twenty years) just how much of where you get your 'information' has been owned by this one guy, for how long, and what you think you know.

Yes, especially 'fox News' viewers.

What I've been saying all this time about how much of what currently vexes us has *everything* to do with boring-sounding things that Reagan did to the FCC and related federal laws about media consolidation: this is only one example.

Starting to see a picture, here?

(If you understand what folks like me were saying about Thatcher at the time, you may also understand the high-level police corruption involved in the UK. as well as why certain 'Import' EPs were so damn hard to get. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-20-2011 at 01:38 PM.
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Accountability applies to the press just as much as to governments. The media has enormous power and they are not immune to the abuse of that power any more than government agencies. This thing just gets uglier every day. This should answer anyone's question about the importance of a free press and having multiple outlets for news.
07-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The issue with News is that it is unique in the power it holds. It is disturbingly vertically integrated, with outright control or at least joint-venture status in nearly every level of Media from Production to Distribution. In Film, Television, Cable, Internet, Books, News Paper, Magazines and the list goes on.

List of assets owned by News Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This enables editorial influence on levels you just can't make transparent. A good example is the one that appears on Wiki under the Media ownership in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia link. News owns the National Rugby League brand/competition. They also publish the biggest selling tabloid format news paper (The Daily Telegraph) in the largest city (Sydney). What do you think the 'Tele' raves on about for the last 20 pages? NRL of course... and you can probably figure out who yells and howls the loudest when there is potential threats to NRLs market share

The problem is not that News is very successful, or very profitable. More power to them. Whats an issue though, is the level of control and power in this media and entertainment (and when do you hear about one without the other mentioned??) rich society. You are talking about a corporation that can literally produce content, beam it around the world, transmit it into near to a couple hundred million homes, run it at the local Cinema, advertise it in their banners such as Wall St Journal, Washington Post or Daily Telegraph etc, push it on their Internet Sites - All Internally to the Corporation without need for outside influence/co-operation... So if that corporation want to push an agenda or topic I reckon they could influence things just a little bit... don't you ? All we can do is hope that they all live up to their Ethical Mantra's... maybe this will cause a rebirth of "Honest" Journalism... but I doubt it...

Anyway.. thats my ramble...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-20-2011 at 11:14 PM.
07-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
rebirth of "Honest" Journalism
Perhaps as RML mentions Adrian,that people listening,watching...make an honest effort
in digesting intake.Do some channel surfing,get opposing points of view.
Let competition feed on itself and make all better.
You and I spoke of Walter Cronkite,Adrian. At that same point in time we had
Chet Huntley & David Brinkley,Howard K. Smith here. Competition fed on itself
and made all better.

As you mention rugby coverage down under.Before Fox news was a ever
gleem in Ol' Ruperts eye. I witnessed a gentelman baseballer named Curt Flood
here in my hometown all but drawn and quartered in our national press here.
Fox had nothing to do with it.
07-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
People should stop being worried about the details of this 'scandal' and start worrying (if you haven't been for twenty years) just how much of where you get your 'information' has been owned by this one guy, for how long, and what you think you know.

Yes, especially 'fox News' viewers.

What I've been saying all this time about how much of what currently vexes us has *everything* to do with boring-sounding things that Reagan did to the FCC and related federal laws about media consolidation: this is only one example.

Starting to see a picture, here?

(If you understand what folks like me were saying about Thatcher at the time, you may also understand the high-level police corruption involved in the UK. as well as why certain 'Import' EPs were so damn hard to get. )
This is precisely the issue. Murdoch wanted to take majority control of satellite broadcasting company BskyB. Many politicians came out and said it was unacceptable for one guy to have so many of our newspapers AND a major broadcasting station. This - and the way successive governments from the right and the left have sucked up to Murdoch - is the furore has been so strong over the phone hacking thing.
07-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's great to see Rupe and his ill begotten spawn finally get some grief over their abhorrent behavior which stretches back decades. The only hope is that the Murdoch's and their cronies become 'persona non grata' and have their right to hold media assets crippled if not totally eradicated. This is the man behind the obnoxious Fox 'News' (I use the word only at a stretch), who poisons the minds of americans with right wing BS, the man who owns 70%..(yes folks 70%) of all media in Australia. The man who wants more and more and more power and influence. Don't be fooled by the wan pale weak old man act he put on for the House of Commons hearings last night. He is a cunning bastard and master manipulator.

His organisation basically decide who will be PM or President in the UK, US and Aust, and who knows where else his media pipeline of CRAP hold sway.
This bloke was born in the same home town as me. There are not many things about Melbourne I'm ashamed about. This one tops the list.
07-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
It's great to see Rupe and his ill begotten spawn finally get some grief over their abhorrent behavior which stretches back decades. The only hope is that the Murdoch's and their cronies become 'persona non grata' and have their right to hold media assets crippled if not totally eradicated. This is the man behind the obnoxious Fox 'News' (I use the word only at a stretch), who poisons the minds of americans with right wing BS, the man who owns 70%..(yes folks 70%) of all media in Australia. The man who wants more and more and more power and influence. Don't be fooled by the wan pale weak old man act he put on for the House of Commons hearings last night. He is a cunning bastard and master manipulator.

His organisation basically decide who will be PM or President in the UK, US and Aust, and who knows where else his media pipeline of CRAP hold sway.
This bloke was born in the same home town as me. There are not many things about Melbourne I'm ashamed about. This one tops the list.
I have zero sympathy for Rupert and his organization but there is another factor that needs to be acknowledged as you whip him:

We live in a free society and non of us would wish it otherwise.

He is only a very rich man, together with all other TABLOID producers, because of the millions all over the world that buy this type of product and they buy this product because of what it is and knowing full well what it is as they buy it!

Look at all the different levels and types of this merchandise on display at every supermarket check-out in the world!

Why is there such an enormous mass market all over the world for this type of product? This is another subject all by itself!

People read this type of junk eagerly and willingly and then immediately blame the "paparazzi" or reporter for having obtained the information for them!

By all means punish Rupert and his organization for the methods that they used to obtain the information that the public craves but the public should also be thinking about their own role in this problem (as the willing purchaser of the product) - and not one of them will do so.

Rupert is the supplier of the drug and millions of the public are the user. His crime is obtaining the junk illegally!
07-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I have zero sympathy for Rupert and his organization but there is another factor that needs to be acknowledged as you whip him:

He is only a very rich man, together with all other TABLOID producers, because of the millions all over the world that buy this type of product and they buy this product because of what it is and knowing full well what it is as they buy it!

Look at all the different levels and types of this merchandise on display at every supermarket check-out in the world!

Why is there such an enormous mass market all over the world for this type of product? This is another subject all by itself!

People read this type of junk eagerly and willingly and then immediately blame the "paparazzi" or reporter for having obtained the information for them!

By all means punish Rupert and his organization for the methods that they used to obtain the information that the public craves but the public should also be thinking about their own role in this problem (as the willing purchaser of the product) - and not one of them will do so.

Rupert is the supplier of the drug and millions of the public are the user. His crime is obtaining the junk illegally!

I believe there is a major difference between being able to make vast amounts of money (profit) and being able to wield vast amount of power in shaping countries political landscape. The rich will always be more powerful than us working folks however there must be some limits so that we actually do live in a free and democratic society. I find it hard to believe that reporters broke the law in several papers over a period of time without some one higher up knowing and even more find it hard to believe that those higher ups take no responsibilty. At least in a Parliamentary system the Minister often resigns when some one in his department has made major fouls even though he may not have had anything to do with it, it is part of having power that you also take the fall. But Murdoch knew nothing about anything in watching his performance
07-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote

Steve, The point is, that the concentration of media ownership cuts into the choices that consumers of media have on offer, The Murdoch game plan has always been the elimination of the opposition, whether that be the print unions that he busted in the 70's, the various nefarious underhand deals he brokered to snuff the life out of opposition newspapers, until he could buy them and turn them to his own purposes, or this latest shameful saga. He may well be the purveyor of the drug, but he is also the producer and the ultimate beneficiary of the mayhem the his particular 'drug trade' causes. You are correct, one does not need to consume any of his offerings (I refuse to, for one) but there are countless millions of uninformed people across the globe who know nothing of the web of power and influence this man sits at the center of. Its about time some light got shone down into his dark den.

Don't let anyone tell you that Rupe and Jimbo didn't know what was going on with the phone hacking. Don't let anyone believe Rupe didn't call every one of his editors around the world every week to give them their instructions.

Wayne
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
While I'm pleased to see the tabloid media taking some well deserved hits for their general tastelessness and promotion of public ignorance, I can't bring myself to rage about someone listening to poorly protected voice mails.

It probably went this far only because some brilliant headline writer included the word "hacked" - which is an insult to the true hackers of the world. Imagine the public response if the headline had been "Pippa's voicemails heard!" In fact it happened to bonny Prince Charles years ago IIRC.

Fortunately the over-blowing of this eavesdropping expose' is turning over more important rocks; the rapid firings and closing of the press were likely mostly due to more juicy morsels under these other slimy rocks.

Last edited by newarts; 07-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Steve, The point is, that the concentration of media ownership cuts into the choices that consumers of media have on offer, The Murdoch game plan has always been the elimination of the opposition, whether that be the print unions that he busted in the 70's, the various nefarious underhand deals he brokered to snuff the life out of opposition newspapers, until he could buy them and turn them to his own purposes, or this latest shameful saga. He may well be the purveyor of the drug, but he is also the producer and the ultimate beneficiary of the mayhem the his particular 'drug trade' causes. You are correct, one does not need to consume any of his offerings (I refuse to, for one) but there are countless millions of uninformed people across the globe who know nothing of the web of power and influence this man sits at the center of. Its about time some light got shone down into his dark den.

Don't let anyone tell you that Rupe and Jimbo didn't know what was going on with the phone hacking. Don't let anyone believe Rupe didn't call every one of his editors around the world every week to give them their instructions.

Wayne
Wayne, I'm well aware of your point and the importance of what is happening here to the publication industry. The story is far from over yet and will almost certainly have world wide implications.

My only point in this thread is that the whole of this evil story results from the motivation to produce dirt to entertain a population only too eager to buy it.