Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look at the bright side: you're not in Iraq or Afghanistan humping a 70 pound backpack with a heat index just shy of being solar.

07-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
But I wonder how they consider the South habitable *without* relying on all this AC. I miss New England.
Before AC, the Brits considered DC a "tropical post" and diplos there got hazard pay. You want a reason for the expansion of USA federal govt? Blame AC. You want to get rid of corporate and govt bloat AND the madness of Phoenix and Vegas and LA and Dallas and Nashville and Miami? Turn off the AC. Yes, AC is responsible for the downfall of civilization. Without AC, we would have to live in tolerable places and be nice to each other, or at least TALK to each other as we sit on our porches sipping lemonade. AC lets us hide in homes & cars & offices and not face external reality. DAMN AC!!

[/me turns up the fan a little higher]
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Before AC, the Brits considered DC a "tropical post" and diplos there got hazard pay. You want a reason for the expansion of USA federal govt? Blame AC. You want to get rid of corporate and govt bloat AND the madness of Phoenix and Vegas and LA and Dallas and Nashville and Miami? Turn off the AC. Yes, AC is responsible for the downfall of civilization. Without AC, we would have to live in tolerable places and be nice to each other, or at least TALK to each other as we sit on our porches sipping lemonade. AC lets us hide in homes & cars & offices and not face external reality. DAMN AC!!

[/me turns up the fan a little higher]
Great rant!
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice and mild here on the “wet coast”. No need for any A/C and you can sleep at night!!
Note the temperatures are in Celsius, so 20C is 68F.

Phil.

Attached Images

07-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
Northeast Heat: Rewriting the Record Books

Newark, NJ: New all-time record high of 108 degrees. Breaks old all-time record of 105 degrees set on August 9, 2001.

New York, NY: Central Park topped out at 104 degrees. Second hottest temperature on record. Hottest temperature since 1977.

Dulles International Airport, VA (IAD): New all-time record high of 105 degrees. This breaks the old all-time record high of 104 set back in 1988 and 1983.

Baltimore, MD: Daily record high of 106 degrees. All-time record high is 107 degrees set on July 10, 1936.

Trenton, NJ: Daily record high of 106 degrees.

Philadelphia, PA: Daily record high of 103 degrees.

Atlantic City, NJ: Daily record high of 105 degrees. Old record high for July 22 was 98 degrees set in 1998. Second hottest day on record. Max heat index of 121 degrees. Hottest temperature recorded since 1969.

Boston, MA: Tied for 2nd highest temperature on record at 103 degrees. Hottest day in exactly 85 years!

Washington, DC: No daily record high set. However, peak heat index of 121 degrees.

Hartford, CT: New all-time record high of 103 degrees.
07-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Well, it was hot again today, 99 in Glens Falls officially. Pretty hot for the Adirondacks! The humidity was down quite a bit so it didn't feel quite as nasty as Thursday. Also, there was a pretty stiff breeze. My afternoon was spent on the water in Lake Luzerne. I would paddle across the lake, get out and swim to get wet and let the wind drift me back. It has noticeably cooled down since the sun went down. Last night it was still in the 90's at 10:00, right now it's 78. I think the lower humidity is letting the air cool down.

Is it just here or does the weather seem to be one extreme or the other? Until a couple of weeks ago, it was cool, damp, and cloudy. We only had a handful of days in the past couple of months without rain. Then hot and dry. At least I don't have to mow the lawn every few days.
07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nope.. its just typical weather cycles. There is cycles within cycles within cycles.

And as posted in the other thread.. you guys aren't suffering a Heat Wave.. its just a couple of hot days in a row..

THIS is a heatwave (and note the years.. )

QuoteQuote:
Marble Bar heatwave, 1923-24

The world record for the longest sequence of days above 100°Fahrenheit (or 37.8° on the Celsius scale) is held by Marble Bar in the inland Pilbara district of Western Australia. The temperature, measured under standard exposure conditions, reached or exceeded the century mark every day from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924, a total of 160 days.

"Day by day maximum temperatures at Marble Bar over the period 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924. At the peak of the heatwave - between late December and late February - many days approached or exceeded 45°C".
The highest temperature recorded during the record spell was 47.5°C on 18 January 1924. There have been higher temperatures at Marble Bar, with the highest recorded being 49.2°C, on 11 January 1905 and again on 3 January 1922. But temperatures in other Western Australian towns have been higher: in a remarkable late-season heat-wave in February 1998, Mardie recorded a maximum of 50.5°C (on the 19th) - the highest temperature in Western Australia, and the second highest ever recorded in Australia using standard instrumentation (Oodnadatta, in South Australia, recorded 50.7°C on 2 January 1960). Several other recordings above 49°C were reported in the northwest on the days preceding Mardie’s record, and at Nyang, the average maximum over the entire summer exceeded 43°C. As in 1923-24, very dry conditions accompanied the extreme heat.

07-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

i have to agree about a lot about the AC thing, it certainly seems to have taken a lot of life out of the streets and neighborhoods, at least where it' s not necessary.

Though I suppose I'm more made for maritime climes, ...though despite probably being among the few who wouldn't complain about the lack of Sun, it seems it's already pretty crowded, there. hence expensive to live.

(An, actually, Adrian, it's been pretty darn hot for quite a long while, the past several days have been just sort of the peak that's been crossing a huge part of the country, it's definitely pretty remarkable for here, if not compared to deserts. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-22-2011 at 07:21 PM.
07-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Newark, NJ: New all-time record high of 108 degrees. Breaks old all-time record of 105 degrees set on August 9, 2001.

New York, NY: Central Park topped out at 104 degrees. Second hottest temperature on record. Hottest temperature since 1977.

Dulles International Airport, VA (IAD): New all-time record high of 105 degrees. This breaks the old all-time record high of 104 set back in 1988 and 1983.

Baltimore, MD: Daily record high of 106 degrees. All-time record high is 107 degrees set on July 10, 1936.

Trenton, NJ: Daily record high of 106 degrees.

Philadelphia, PA: Daily record high of 103 degrees.

Atlantic City, NJ: Daily record high of 105 degrees. Old record high for July 22 was 98 degrees set in 1998. Second hottest day on record. Max heat index of 121 degrees. Hottest temperature recorded since 1969.

Boston, MA: Tied for 2nd highest temperature on record at 103 degrees. Hottest day in exactly 85 years!

Washington, DC: No daily record high set. However, peak heat index of 121 degrees.

Hartford, CT: New all-time record high of 103 degrees.
I'd wager Baltimore was really a new record because they now take the temps at BWI which is out of the city, while the historical records used to be from the customs house downtown. They said the heat index was 129 here between Baltimore and Philly and I am real thankful for the AC in the bedroom.
07-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Nope.. its just typical weather cycles. There is cycles within cycles within cycles.

And as posted in the other thread.. you guys aren't suffering a Heat Wave.. its just a couple of hot days in a row..
When was the last time you had an 80-84° dew point like we have here along with temps over 105° were millions live ?

Last edited by jogiba; 07-23-2011 at 05:51 AM.
07-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

When was the last time you had an 80-84° dew point like we have here along with temps over 105° were millions live ?
Hangon... you've now added a rider that apparently means its important based on population size ?

Guess we only need to start worrying about the climate when it gets bad in New Delhi then ? Their *average* is 93° with an *average* Dew Point of 75° ... Home to 23,300,000 people
Not big enough ? How about Guangzhou, China (you may know it as Canton) 34,300,000 are there. *Average* is 89° with an *average* Dew Point of 77° ...

Those are all Averages.. not the Maximums

And as for the dew points - Lots of places around Australia... however, we don't tend to use Humidex's or Dewpoints nearly as much in Australia, so getting statistical data on specific dew points is a royal PITA since records on that are very patchy... without subscription access that is....

All I can say is.. I'm glad I don't call Singapore home!
07-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

What makes it uncomfortable for us around here is that these conditions are very rare. A hot summer day is mid 80's and a normal summer "heat wave" would be a few days in the 90's. Temps in the high 90's and over 100 are as common as snowstorms in New Delhi. Our records for the past 2 days are the hottest EVER, not just the record for that day. I guess we can't complain too much, folks in the mid west have been dealing with this for a month.
07-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
And as for the dew points - Lots of places around Australia... however, we don't tend to use Humidex's or Dewpoints nearly as much in Australia, so getting statistical data on specific dew points is a royal PITA since records on that are very patchy... without subscription access that is....
Let me help YOU out with YOUR weather, it is 36°F with with a dew point of 34°.

07-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Let me help YOU out with YOUR weather, it is 36°F with with a dew point of 34°.
Right now ? Yeah.. Of course - Its the middle of Winter... I was referring to an ongoing average etc outside of a specific city .. dont have decent 30-40 year averages across the country...
07-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #30
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Right now ? Yeah.. Of course - Its the middle of Winter... I was referring to an ongoing average etc outside of a specific city .. dont have decent 30-40 year averages across the country...
Excuse me but didn't you post :
"however, we don't tend to use Humidex's or Dewpoints nearly as much in Australia, so getting statistical data on specific dew points is a royal PITA since records on that are very patchy... without subscription access that is"

What does winter have anything to do with not having dew point info available ?