Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Someone should go to a gun show and shoot a bunch of gun lovers but that will never happen.
Whats that got to do with anything ? Thats like saying all Dunkin Donuts need to be shut down because only fat people eat there....

Wow.. talk about missing the point...

He also used explosives if the link to the Parliament bombings are to be accepted and reports of another device found at the Island... Does that mean that we should take out farmers and their Fertilizer Stockpiles too ?

The implements used here to conduct these heinous crimes is highly irrelevant to the issue... as shown by the use of explosives...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-23-2011 at 05:31 AM.
07-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was at Gardemoen airport utside Oslo when it happened waiting for my transfer flight to Schiphol (Amsterdam) when small group of youth's came walking by gently waiving a small Norwegian flag and singing. They looked serious but I thought nothing of it. Only when I arrived in the Netherlands I learned about what happened and I understood. My thoughts are with the Norwegian people in this very difficult time.
07-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"On the Facebook page attributed to him, Mr Breivik describes himself as a Christian and a conservative. It listed his interests as hunting, body building and freemasonry. His profile also listed him as single. The page has since been taken down.

Police chief Svinung Sponheim said that internet posting by Breivik suggested he has "some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views".

Police officials have also said that the suspect appeared to have posted on websites with Christian fundamentalist tendencies.

Mr Breivik had served in the Norwegian military doing national service and had no criminal record according to reports."

Daily Telegraph
07-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Whats that got to do with anything ? Thats like saying all Dunkin Donuts need to be shut down because only fat people eat there....

Wow.. talk about missing the point...

He also used explosives if the link to the Parliament bombings are to be accepted and reports of another device found at the Island... Does that mean that we should take out farmers and their Fertilizer Stockpiles too ?

The implements used here to conduct these heinous crimes is highly irrelevant to the issue... as shown by the use of explosives...
So out of the 91 killed how many were killed with the explosives and how many with guns ?

Last edited by jogiba; 07-23-2011 at 06:52 AM.
07-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So out of the 91 killed how many were killed with the explosives and how many with guns ?
Like I said - missing the point entirely.

I'm more worried about how this guy got to this point in society, why he chose to do what he did, and what could possibly be done to avert it in the future. How he managed to setup multiple explosive devices without detection, let alone construct them. Couldn't care less if he'd done the whole thing with a Tire Iron.

Thats the point... not some straw man argument against guns.... which has very little to do with a mad man who decides to make HIS point....
07-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Like I said - missing the point entirely.

I'm more worried about how this guy got to this point in society, why he chose to do what he did, and what could possibly be done to avert it in the future. Couldn't care less if he'd done the whole thing with a Tire Iron.

Thats the point... not some straw man argument against guns....

07-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Jogiba... nice video... But I'm sorry Whats the point sorry in relation to anything I've posted ? You think gun control is important clearly - I'm not arguing with you.

What I'm saying is what has the original statement you made got to do with anything that happened today ? Did guns make the guy plant a bomb next to parliament buildings ? Did guns make the guy an, as reported, 'fundamentalist christian' ? Did guns make him finally snap and decided to carry out his 'plan' ? Did guns fail to detect him at any further earlier opportunity ? Did they assist in the assembly of the explosive devices ? Did they help transport it downtown ? Did they go out to the Island camp for him ? Did the guns help him make undetectable in any of these 'suspicious' activities ?

How would - as you suggested -
Someone should go to a gun show and shoot a bunch of gun lovers but that will never happen.
- help *anyone* in this situation ?? What do you imagine it would have 'prevented' ??

I'm not telling you what position you should have on Gun Control - All I've been doing is saying that to start arguing about Gun Control as a 'solution' to *any* of this.. is just political grand standing at best or a major misunderstanding of the cause of the issue at worst...

I haven't even started on how ironic it is that you think youd be 'justified' in killing a bunch of people that haven't done anything wrong at all to anyone - just rather that you 'suspect' them of being 'potential threats' or something... That sort of attitude tends to sound a little 'fundamentalist' real quick if you ask me....

So please - no more straw man arguments about guns and gun control.... its ignoring the core of the real tragedy and issues here...

Last edited by adr1an; 07-23-2011 at 07:22 AM.
07-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Jogiba has shown repeatedly lately (Casey Anthony, etc) that he has little care for the rule of law and prefers an eye for an eye / vigilante justice approach. :/
07-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter

I am saddened by this whole affair.
I won't offer conjecture. I will follow the reports from Norway.

PS. jogiba? I agree, our own gun control "laws" don't belong in this thread.
Start a new one for that.
07-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The only point here, especially without even knowing Norway's policy on this, is that it's another lesson in the fact that past a certain ill-defined point, 'more firepower' is only really useful for mass slaughter of unarmed people.

If people want to make this about American firearms regulations, it's once again the question of 'how much is enough?'

Certainly, this doesn't have to be about 'All or nothing.' How about 'enough?'

It seems to be mostly guys with sympathies like this shooter's who even *want* all that 'capacity.' It's not like you're going to carry five hundred rounds of machine pistol ammo around to 'defend' yourself. Why make it easier, never mind 'one-stop shopping?'
07-23-2011, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, that would certainly solve the world's problems. Let's go kill some innocent people to show how mad we are that there are people out there killing innocent people.

jogiba, if you truly feel that that should be done, I urge you to seek help.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.
07-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Lotsa right-wing pundits claiming that this lunatic's actions prove that "political correctness has really gone mad" and that it's justified for that reason. So infuriating.
07-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Lotsa right-wing pundits claiming that this lunatic's actions prove that "political correctness has really gone mad" and that it's justified for that reason. So infuriating.
Actually, this guy *did* it because he thought 'multiculturalism,' (ie 'PC' and non-Christians being around) meant he had to massacre the Labor party's children.
07-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #29

Having access to firearms just doesn't do any good in my opinion. What's the point of it? Poor innocent lives just get lost to lunatics like him all over the world.
07-23-2011, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Inactive Account

What Coldeye said. We have a Major Nedal in jail at Ft Hood (still drawing Major's pay). Lots and lots of gun control on a military base. Ship happens. Insane people happen. If it wasn't a gun, it will be a fertilizer bomb, if not that a car into a crowd, an airplane into a building, a knife and so on. God bless Norway.