Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Now it's time for the media to profit on her death. It's on my TV all day.
Many celebs are worth much more dead than alive. Makes me wonder why more of them haven't been murdered yet. Or maybe they have been. Cf M.Jackson.

No, I don't think Amy was murdered. I don't watch TV so I don't know about the coverage, or the conspiracy theories -- hmmm, maybe gargle for AMY WINEHOUSE CONSPIRACY THEORY and see what crawls out. Probably more material there than on the TWO Murdoch whistleblowers who ended up dead recently.

But I digress. Look for the print+video tabloids to ratchet-up into overdrive on this. And watch for releases of outtakes. Any sound she ever made will be sold. Bet on it.

07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Addictions don't just "magically" happen. Sorry, she's not a victim, and I will not treat her like one. In this day and age, there is nobody in any first world country that doesn't know what this shit will do to them.
07-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is a sad story when any 27 year old passes. I feel bad for her fans, family, and friends. However, I disagree with those here calling her talented. I think her music was awful.
07-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
... hmmm, maybe gargle for AMY WINEHOUSE CONSPIRACY THEORY and see what crawls out...
"Why did the Illuminati kill Amy Winehouse?" on answers.yahoo.com.

I can see not being too upset at yet another celebrity addiction, in this case a spectacular trainwreck of an addiction. But the music world needs a lot more talent like hers, and a lot less from the Disney, Idol or X Factor production line.

07-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Addictions don't just "magically" happen. Sorry, she's not a victim, and I will not treat her like one. In this day and age, there is nobody in any first world country that doesn't know what this shit will do to them.
There's a big history of addiction in my family. I have two half siblings who are struggling with booze and pills now. Neither one of them ever thought they would end up addicted, but both of them are. In my family you have to be very careful about using any chemicals. The genetics that way are just really, really bad. We've all tried to help, many times, but both of them are just totally caught up in it, and in my family this trait it goes back generations. We've lost many a relative to it.

I don't hardly drink or do social drugs. Not worth the risk, IMHO, but I do however have to take major pain pills once in a while for some serious pain. I have to just to function and you know it does scare me that I have to given my family history.

My siblings both of them are addicted to more than one thing, but I look at them and their pill addictions and I end up really being careful about how many of those pain pills I pop. I just don't want to end up like that. Given they are a necessity? I do realize that if I am not careful and very conservative that it could go that way though.

People get addicted for all sorts of reasons. Some people succumb to peer pressure and decide to use chemicals socially or experimentally and it leads to addiction. Others end up getting addicted to drugs that were prescribed for legitimate pain. No one wants to be a slave to the chemicals in their lives. No one ever likes to think they will die from using them but sometimes the addiction just becomes bigger than the person.

Addiction is a constant battle and if you don't have the heart to fight it every single day, for yourself, you simply won't win. Amy Winehouse had a choice, yes, but it's not that cut and dried. Not everyone has a strong survival instinct and a lot of artistic or famous people in particular seem to really lack one. For whatever reason they just basically commit suicide via drugs, alcohol, whatever.

It's all the more sad because they do have all the reason in the world to live, and yet, they don't. I don't know maybe it's the pressure of living your life in a fishbowl?
07-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #21
K-9
Veteran Member

Just because they are addicted or using drugs, doesn't mean they deserve to die. I don't condone drugs in any way, but it should not be a reason to dismiss caring about a life. Now, if a convicted murderer, rapist, or child abuser suddenly drops dead, I'm not so sympathetic.
07-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You simply have no idea................

07-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
It is a sad story when any 27 year old passes. I feel bad for her fans, family, and friends. However, I disagree with those here calling her talented. I think her music was awful.
It's definitely sad. Her music didn't appeal to me either.

With this attitude, I assume you:
- have never had an addiction of any sort yourself, however 'minor' (do you drink coffee, smoke cigarrettes?)
- have never known anyone else to suffer from any sort of addiction
- have never read up on how addictions can effect other people
:ugh:
07-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Sure, it's sad she's gone. I won't talk about her music because it's not my cup of tea but one thing that bothered me was her hit song rehab. It was borderline promoting an alcoholic/drug lifestyle. Making fun of your addiction is fine if it helps you beat it but to me it always sounded like she was using it for shock value.

Still undecided on what to think about all this.
07-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Poor talented-troubled gal ... looking the apparently endless history of similar cases one has to wonder whether the price of artistic talent is (mental) suffering (,"self-medication" and even more trouble[, which - obviously - needs even more "medicine" ... ]).
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #26
JHD
Veteran Member

It's another reminder - sooner or later we all share the same destiny. And the sobering fact is nobody ones when their number is up. Without warning it could happen anywhere at any time.
07-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Well, life must be just peachy for you then ? Living in your world of moms apple pie and white painted picket fences.
You've obviously lived a charmed life where people magically "get their shit together" and overcome addictions.

Wherever you live, it ain't the real world.
Dude , He's from New Jersy
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Dude , He's from New Jersy
I went there once.
07-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It's sad she was not able to overcome the addiction, as she was really talented (on her good days). I remember watching the Grammy's when the U.S. delayed her visa and she had to instead do her Grammy performance via a satellite feed. What I found most memorable was how she was one of the few artist who actually wrote her own songs, especially at the Grammies where she was up against the likes of Christina Aguilera, Fergie, and Nelly Furtado.

Too bad the songs were a self-fulfilling prophecy.
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I assume you:
- have never had an addiction of any sort yourself, however 'minor' (do you drink coffee, smoke cigarrettes?)
- have never known anyone else to suffer from any sort of addiction
- have never read up on how addictions can effect other people
I actually have a pretty fair physical addiction to caffeine. But once I realized that the ailments I had were a result of withdraw from it, I avoided it. As for the rest, why would I since I've never even tried them? As I said, there isn't anybody that doesn't know what it will do to you. Now, on a side note, MagKelly did raise a point that is a bit different from this. Prescription meds, when actually given by a doctor and not just taken on your own. First, I'm not sure I'm down with a lot of them given how destructive they can be. Sometimes I suppose they are a risk is worth taking, and doctors should be properly monitoring their patients. But I do recognize a lot of doctors don't, and I think it's damn near the ultimate betrayal of the trust one puts in their doctor. A lot of those patients aren't aware of a predisposition to being addicted to such things like MagKelly, and do end up as victims.

I did go through a period with my sister when she was younger, so I do know some of the pain it can cause. But she made the choice to clean up her act, and followed through with it. But she was a dumbass just the same for even getting mixed up with any of it.