Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tonight's Presidential Speech

In a word: Brilliant.
I don't know where the dust is going to settle with Congress and the debt ceiling issue; but I'm pretty sure I know how the next Presidential election will go. I can't say I agree with all of his politics, but he's dead on with this issue.

07-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

I agree. It's just a shame tho how some people will do anything to get him out of office. Political bs. Btw, under George B they raised the debt ceiling 6 or 7 times with no problems.
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Shocking news: Boehner plan blows

UNBELIEVABLE: S&P Favors Reid Plan, Boehner Plan May Result In Losing AAA Status

QuoteQuote:
Sources familiar with S&P's thinking indicate that the Boehner plan -- which attempts to raise the debt ceiling and make cuts in two separate steps -- probably wouldn't be enough to avert a downgrade from AAA.

On the other hand, the Reid plan, which does it all once, would be looked on more favorably by the ratings agency.
Statement: Robert Greenstein, President, on House Speaker Boehner?s New Budget Proposal — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

QuoteQuote:
House Speaker John Boehner’s new budget proposal would require deep cuts in the years immediately ahead in Social Security and Medicare benefits for current retirees, the repeal of health reform’s coverage expansions, or wholesale evisceration of basic assistance programs for vulnerable Americans.

The plan is, thus, tantamount to a form of “class warfare.” If enacted, it could well produce the greatest increase in poverty and hardship produced by any law in modern U.S. history.
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

07-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, this is pretty sad/hilarious: Openbook - Connect and share whether you want to or not
07-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry, he needs to get back on track

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/opinion/25krugman.html?_r=1&hp

QuoteQuote:
But, you may say, raising taxes would reduce incentives to work and create wealth. Well, so would means-testing: As conservative economists love to point out in other contexts — for example, when criticizing programs like food stamps — benefits that fall as your income rises in effect raise your marginal tax rate. It doesn’t matter whether the government raises your taxes by $1,000 when your income rises or cuts your benefits by the same amount; either way, it reduces the fraction of your additional earnings that you get to keep.

So what’s the difference between means-testing Medicare and raising taxes? Well, the truly rich would prefer means-testing, since they would end up sacrificing no more than the merely well-off. But everyone else should prefer a tax-based solution.

So why is the president embracing these bad policy ideas? In a forthcoming article in The New York Review of Books, the veteran journalist Elizabeth Drew suggests that members of the White House political team saw the 2010 election as a referendum on government spending and that they believe that cutting spending is the way to win next year.

If so, I would respectfully suggest that they are out of their minds. Remember death panels? The G.O.P.’s most potent political weapon last year — the weapon that caused a large swing in the votes of older Americans — was the claim that Mr. Obama was cutting Medicare. Why give Republicans a chance to do it all over again?

Of course, it’s possible that the reason the president is offering to undermine Medicare is that he genuinely believes that this would be a good idea. And that possibility, I have to say, is what really scares me.
Transcript:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/25/transcript-obamas-speech-to-nation-on-debt-talks/
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In a word: Brilliant.
I don't know where the dust is going to settle with Congress and the debt ceiling issue; but I'm pretty sure I know how the next Presidential election will go. I can't say I agree with all of his politics, but he's dead on with this issue.
Well he deffinately sounded better than Boehner but he still spews candy coated crap. Could he be anymore vague about what expenses would be cut?
Will he stop spending tax money to film studies of West African willie washing habits? If we are at war will he do it the old fashioned way and try to win something "To the victor go the spoils"? Will he continue to pump money into little desert shithole countries so they will be our friends for a day?Will he stop supporting able bodied wastes of air and water who live on social programs from cradle to grave?
Nah somehow I think I'm just gonna get screwwed out of all the money that was taken from me with a promise of it's return one day under the auspices of Social Security and Medicare.
I can't believe he had the balls to say how these programs meant so much to him personally snice he was turning 50 "I'm going to join AARP"in his Saturday bullshit session.

And when are the people of this country going to realize that living on credit is a loosing game both on a personal and national level?
Yeah this debt limit increase has to happen at least as a short term fix but debt reduction through increased revenue and decreased frivolous spending (no that doesn't mean cut defense ) is the only real answer.

Last edited by seacapt; 07-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Will he stop spending tax money to film studies of West African willie washing habits? If we are at war will he do it the old fashioned way and try to win something "To the victor go the spoils"? Will he continue to pump money into little desert shithole countries so they will be our friends for a day?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/153114-hel...-spending.html
07-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes and that is in a large part due to the policies of his predocessor but history can't be changed and I for one am far more concerned about what will happen tommorrow than what did happen yesterday.
07-26-2011, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Cut the military to the bone.............. problem solved.
07-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well he deffinately sounded better than Boehner but he still spews candy coated crap. Could he be anymore vague about what expenses would be cut?
Will he stop spending tax money to film studies of West African willie washing habits? If we are at war will he do it the old fashioned way and try to win something "To the victor go the spoils"? Will he continue to pump money into little desert shithole countries so they will be our friends for a day?Will he stop supporting able bodied wastes of air and water who live on social programs from cradle to grave?
Ken, it is a 15 minute address. Do you really expect him to get to the level of detail of addressing the tiny, tired and silly claim about the willie-washing expense which we discussed and debunked at length here? These just sound like the same old comments that would worry that he used too much water if he put you out while you were on fire.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-26-2011 at 05:19 AM.
07-26-2011, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

It's amazing how retarded the Republican middle class base is to fall for the "we need to not tax the rich because they are job makers".

The bottom line is they hate that a black man is in the white house and that has made them blind to what is really going on.

QuoteQuote:
Billionaire Warren Buffett said that rich people should pay more in taxes and that Bush-era tax cuts for top earners should be allowed to expire at the end of December.

“The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we’ll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you,” Buffett, chief executive officer of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., said in the interview. “But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-21/warren-buffett-tells-abc-rich-peopl...-in-taxes.html

Last edited by jogiba; 07-26-2011 at 05:28 AM.
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Nah somehow I think I'm just gonna get screwwed out of all the money that was taken from me with a promise of it's return one day under the auspices of Social Security and Medicare.
I can't believe he had the balls to say how these programs meant so much to him personally snice he was turning 50 "I'm going to join AARP"in his Saturday bullshit session.

And when are the people of this country going to realize that living on credit is a loosing game both on a personal and national level?
Yeah this debt limit increase has to happen at least as a short term fix but debt reduction through increased revenue and decreased frivolous spending (no that doesn't mean cut defense ) is the only real answer.
To the victor goes the spoil is now against international law which would make any President who basically loots a country as a war criminal and which country would you get the spoils from? Iraq or Afganistan the US got other countires help (about 150 dead Canadians so far) and how many other countries would have even agreed with the US let alone helped if the message was not of overthrowing a dictator (or fundamentalist) and creating a democracy but instead overthrowing and grabbing all the resources?

Why is defence not to be touched? In Canada when Paul Martin balanced his budget and created the 12 or so straight years of surplus cut defence and the current Conservative govt is plainning on cutting it next year as well (and I work for that department) If one does not cut defence by say 5% then other departments such as environment would need to be cut by 95% to make up for it, that does not sound too balanced.
07-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just for fun

A summation of Alice in tea partyland..............

Opinion: The GOP's 'alternate universe' - Matt Stoller - POLITICO.com

The financial crisis and now the debt ceiling have revealed deep stress fractures in our politics. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) is running for president on the premise that not paying government debts won’t mean default. She’s doing pretty well. It seems that loudly denouncing the idea that 1+1 = 2 is an appealing message in Republican politics.

Though the majority of the really toxic subprime loans were made by banks and mortgage companies, and one big private firm, American International Group, sold the biggest bundle of credit default swaps, the financial industry was not a cause of the crisis, Republicans say. Nope, it was all Fannie and Freddie.

f you listened only to conservatives, you would think that the health care law was some sort of fascist takeover — though the leading GOP presidential candidate implemented a nearly identical system in Massachusetts. Many features of the plan were hatched by the conservative Heritage Foundation in the early 1990s, and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) put forward a plan approved by the House Republicans to turn Medicare into a system similar to Obamacare.

Somehow, for Republicans, the private sector can do no wrong. When it does wrong, it’s not the private sector that did it.

Back in 2004, a Bush administration official laid out what is now clearly the Republican Party’s guiding philosophy. The official spoke to a journalist as though he were from a foreign land — since he hailed from “what we call the reality-based community.”

“When we act,” the official said, “we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors … and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

It’s unclear whether the Republicans want to, or even can, leave this alternate universe that they have constructed. Unfortunately, it’s also unclear whether our society can survive it.
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well since you wnat to play just for fun

or how about this one
Closed Thread