Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you very much for all the kind words.
Here are a few other photos from that same shoot.

Attached Images

07-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the lion shot best. Sure it is in the zoo, but the intense stalking look and the graceful posture looks cool. I also like the colors and detail. You are obviously a a talented guy. I imagine if it was something cute my baby was doing I'd be all gaga, and I expect your friends will always treasure those photos, but other people's babies ...meh.
07-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your win, SlickYamaha, nice going! I open up the thread and as I am reading your commentary and seeing the picture of the lion - I thought, you won with this?! Reading further, I discover the winning image is below the lion - scroll down and whoah!! It's a gutwrenching reaction for me... It's sentimental, humourous, and whimsical, it's all of this and more - this image hooks you on so many emotional levels and I am sure the judges probably had the same sort of reaction, coming across your entry after viewing countless number of technically perfect but emotionless images of mundane subjects.

Congratulations,
08-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See, and my impression was that the lion had much more impact. Just his look and feel, coming right at the viewer. I almost didn't even enter the baby... Lol

08-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lion himself is striking a great pose, but that's not enough. The composition leaves a lot to be desired. Tightening it up into a portrait orientation, with the entire right side of the shot gone, would strengthen it greatly. The tree splits the space to the right, drawing attention over there, yet there's nothing to see there. If your subject is the lion, compose on the lion in a manner that draws viewers to key aspects of the subject and don't leave them to just wander across them on their own in a vast field of extraneous space. Like little children, the eyes of viewers will wander all over the place and are easily distracted without guidance. Careful attention to composition, orientation, cropping, and the minimization of extraneous distracting elements are how you figuratively take them by the hand and lead them where you want them to go. You see a powerful and impressive lion in the photo because that is what you took a picture of (and why you took it). You can't always count on viewers to see what you saw, and certainly not to see it HOW you saw it. You left too much barren territory in the photo and both the lion and the eyes of the viewer get lost in it. The lion has no choice but to stay; the viewer's eyes quickly get bored and move on.

When taking photos for ourselves, we need only notice what we are taking a picture of. This is why anybody can take a snapshot. When creating photos for others to see, we have to be aware of what we are not taking a picture of and be sure to not let those elements intrude into the photo when possible if they contribute nothing to it or could detract from it. In the lion photo, the right side of the photo falls into that category. I hate to mention it, as it is strictly a matter of personal taste, but the same goes for the border and the garish green overprocessing. They look like they would be more at home airbrushed onto the side of a conversion van or hanging alongside a painting of Elvis on black velvet.

What you did with the baby shoot is so tastefully restrained and extraordinarily well done that it makes it hard to think the same person could possibly be responsible for both. (With the sole exception being the technology-for-the-sake-of-technology coloring of the letters on the shirt in the last shot; then you're back into black velvet Elvis land).

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another version of the lion I did. Cropped some of the outsides, blurred the background a bit, and pulled way back on the saturation... What do you think of this? too much crop?
Attached Images

08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It's important to know who your judges are.

08-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Here is another version of the lion I did. Cropped some of the outsides, blurred the background a bit, and pulled way back on the saturation... What do you think of this? too much crop?
I would say that is a fine job.
08-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next year you're going to have to up the stakes to win. Baby poking a lion's belly button.
08-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Next year you're going to have to up the stakes to win. Baby poking a lion's belly button.
That will be some trick; I don't think felines have belly buttons. Navels, yes. Belly buttons, no.