Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

question about time lapse imagery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

my name is yanis ertmanis. i am a visual artist who likes to explore the possibilities of technology and the visual experience.

i want to do time lapse of clouds over a busy street corner over three days and in the space of five minutes.
what kind of timer exists that could handle this kind of time frame.
and how the heck is it done.
also . . .
as weird as it sounds, i would also like to record audio of exactly the same time frame
i am aware that the audio would become a single note . . . but pieced together i'm curious to find what those notes sound like all joined together.

07-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of camera are you using? Do you want to babysit it?

3 full 24 hour days, 5 minute intervals, is 864 shots. You can buy remotes that are capable of this such as..

Timer Remote Shutter For Pentax K100D K10D K200D K20D | eBay

I doubt that (with Pentax) you'll be able to capture stills with sound so you would need a second recording device to capture the sound with each frame.

07-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't say what kind of camera you'll use. The K-7 and K-5 have a built-in interval timer but it can only do 99 shots. To use an external timer like the one Jeff linked to, the camera needs a jack for a remote release. For Pentax DSLRs, that rules out the K2000, K-m, K-x and K-r. Those cameras would need some kind of infrared release.

If you want shots to include night time, you'll want to use one of the program modes, like P or Av. Otherwise the noon shots will be all white and the night shots will be all black. That means at least a KA mount lens.
07-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How will you display the video? At what size?

If this were my project, here is what I might do: I would use my old Sony DSC-V1 compact camera, which has a jack input for remote control, and which can record a 5-second .MPG audio file with each shot (in VOICE mode). Its Zeiss zoom is fairly wide, FOV-equivalent to 34mm on a full-frame 135 cam. Its 5mpx images are 2592x1944 pixels, enough for a 36x27in / 90x67.5cm video screen (at the web standard of 72 dpi). I would use an intervalometer as mentioned above. That would be all the basic hardware I need.

07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
question about time lapse

wow that was quick. Thanks for responding.

i don't have a camera i would prefer to rig, rent or buy something from scratch than try to make somithing work with what i have.(a low grade digital camera)
the video camera idea sounds good although i hear that the resolution using still cameras is far superior.
i will be projecting the image as an installation.
my thoughts about audio is that if i capture a fraction of a second will i get on/off click interference.
this is uncharted territory so i have to assume experimentation.
i'm guessing that the sounds will be simillar to recordings of the planets sounds.
ie; jupiter(
)
i will check out to see how idiot proof these gadgets are in the meantime healthy imaginative suggestions are much appreciated.

thanks guys.
07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The equipment you will need, and the resolution at which you shoot, will depend on how you will display the video installation. That is the OUTPUT of your project.

In my software engineering days, I used a design method called OUTPUT-PROCESS-INPUT. Decide what output you want. Find what inputs are available. Then decide how to process the inputs to produce the output. Specifying the output comes first. If your display device (video projector or screen or whatever, the OUTPUT) is limited to 2000x1200 pixels or whatever, then a high-resolution camera (the INPUT) is not really a benefit. If you shoot 4000x3000 pixel images with a dSLR and join them into an animation, you still must shrink each image to fit on the display. So think about the OUTPUT before you spend money on the INPUT!

On sound: The camera I suggested above records 5-second sound clips with each shot. Those clips can be easily edited and merged with a free audio editor like AUDACITY, to remove any clicks and equalize levels.
07-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks once again.
over the weeek i will decipher what it is i need.
projection will most likely be rented, as yet i'm not sure.
youve already given me food for thought.
thanks so much.
best regards.
yanis

08-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I just did a time lapse the day before yesterday on my K5 and I set it to 200 images. It turned out just fine. I didn't see a limit.
08-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks bobell69 i'm curious to see what you did.