Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is better, PC or Mac (Microsoft or Apple)?
Mac (Apple) 2354.76%
PC (Microsoft) 1945.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN the last 10 years, my wife and I bought 4 MACS and 5 PCs. Not one of the PCs is still working, all 4 of the MACs are. So you tell me, which were overpriced, and which were a waste of money?
I'll tell you that you bought cheap, "junk" PC's. Good ones (more $$) last.

08-11-2011, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

I like choosing what I can have, rather than being told what I can have. Therefore, I MAC.

In the last 5 years I have had 3 PC Laptops - all are dead.
In the last 5 years I have had 2 PC Desktops - both are dead.
In the last 5 years I have bought ca. 15 PC Desktops for my business - half have died and had to be replaced.

I love the ease of use of OSX - though W7 has now copied many of the benefits and brought them to PC users.

I love not being worried about viruses !

I love the way MACs handle graphics (as does most of the world when it comes to Architecture / Graphic Design etc. etc.).

I love the way my MAC crashes once every couple of months (even though I usually have upwards of 200 websites and at least 8 -10 programs constantly open) whereas with my PC it happened at least 2-5 times a week.

I will admit that after having used PCs since the days of Amstrad and twin 51/4" floppies I am now totally sold on Macs after switching 2 years ago. It's just far far less of a headache for your average computer user (not your high end gamer or tech-freak).
08-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It always boggles my mind how people are capable of killing their PC's. I've had my laptop for over 4 years now. Without a single issue.

People who are incapable of using PC's should indeed use Mac's instead. MacOS is absolutely without any freedom, and that protects the users from theirselves.

That's why I always compare PC's to cars and Mac's to any kind of public transportation. The latter is safe, easy, uncomplicated, no skills are needed, but you just don't have the freedom to go anywhere you want. Some people like it, I don't.
08-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It always boggles my mind how people are capable of killing their PC's. I've had my laptop for over 4 years now. Without a single issue.

People who are incapable of using PC's should indeed use Mac's instead. MacOS is absolutely without any freedom, and that protects the users from theirselves.

That's why I always compare PC's to cars and Mac's to any kind of public transportation. The latter is safe, easy, uncomplicated, no skills are needed, but you just don't have the freedom to go anywhere you want. Some people like it, I don't.
It may boggle your mind but the internet is full of reports of PCs that die inexplicable deaths - it's the reason companies selling backup devices are doing so well.

08-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Those Thinkpads were built like tanks, ( I'd rather drive a BMW, it's not that the tank doesn't get you there, but it's clunky... the seats aren't comfortable.. they hurt..)I have to admit. My work bought me one in 2003 to run CAM, after about a million hours trying to get it to work, I was on the phone to tech support, for the umpteenth million time, when he suddenly says... you're not using an" IBM are you?". I say, yes... he says, oh, this software doesn't work with IBM machines, I say, "why not" He says "nobody knows, they just don't". My boss lays out 20 grand on an CAM milling machine and over 3 on this Thinkpad, and we had a CAM machine without a computer to run it. PC's talk compatibility and choice, but a lot of times with PCs you spend a lot of money and all that makes you do is spend more money. What I got for my free Thinkpad was two months of my spare time wasted trying to make it function up to spec. My boss basically said he'd buy it but I had to get it running. Never again, next time someone asks me to set up any PC for them, time and a half plus bonuses, if you're going to make my life miserable.. you're going to pay me really well. Get a MAC, I'll set it up for you for free, over the phone, please don't call collect. I gave the Thinkpad away to another employee who did word processing and stuff like that. That worked to the computer's "strength." Sometimes the most you get out of a Thinkpad is a "thankyou" when you give it to someone else. That Thinkpad, made me a good Christian... it felt really good to give it away.

Last edited by normhead; 08-12-2011 at 06:23 AM.
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
It may boggle your mind but the internet is full of reports of PCs that die inexplicable deaths - it's the reason companies selling backup devices are doing so well.
Mac & PC drives die at about the same frequency.

According to PC Magazine's 2010 Reliability and Service Survey, Mac laptop owners reported major problem(s) in 15.3% of their computers, Asus was 2nd at 17.1%. Given that Asus manufactures entry-level laptops as well as premium laptops, it's pretty fair to say that a premium Asus laptop is at least as reliable as a Mac laptop.

One of the challenges in comparing Mac and PC - and really, even that's a misnomer as now more than ever a Mac is a PC - is that PC's run the gamut from $399 Walmart specials to $3000+ boutique systems. Many people who have burned thru a string of cheap PC's and had problems due to poor quality components finally say "screw it, I'm buying a $1500 Mac" and voila, they have a less troublesome experience. What seldom gets mentioned is that the same $1500 would have bought an equally hassle-free PC.
08-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those Thinkpads were built like tanks, ( I'd rather drive a BMW, it's not that the tank doesn't get you there, but it's clunky... the seats aren't comfortable.. they hurt..)I have to admit. My work bought me one in 2003 to run CAM, after about a million hours trying to get it to work, I was on the phone to tech support, for the umpteenth million time, when he suddenly says... you're not using an" IBM are you?". I say, yes... he says, oh, this software doesn't work with IBM machines, I say, "why not" He says "nobody knows, they just don't". My boss lays out 20 grand on an CAM milling machine and over 3 on this Thinkpad, and we had a CAM machine without a computer to run it. PC's talk compatibility and choice, but a lot of times with PCs you spend a lot of money and all that makes you do is spend more money. What I got for my free Thinkpad was two months of my spare time wasted trying to make it function up to spec. My boss basically said he'd buy it but I had to get it running. Never again, next time someone asks me to set up any PC for them, time and a half plus bonuses, if you're going to make my life miserable.. you're going to pay me really well. Get a MAC, I'll set it up for you for free, over the phone, please don't call collect. I gave the Thinkpad away to another employee who did word processing and stuff like that. That worked to the computer's "strength." Sometimes the most you get out of a Thinkpad is a "thankyou" when you give it to someone else. That Thinkpad, made me a good Christian... it felt really good to give it away.
Yeah, older Thinkpads were especially clunky. These days, unfortunately, to get that kind of durability and strength in a notebook you have to buy specialized "tough" notebooks.

A long time ago, IBM did some funky things with their BIOS that could inhibit a few programs. However the fact that tech support couldn't, um, support you is really a condemnation of them, the fact that they could not get their software to run on the most popular business-class notebook is inexcusable.

You plug the PC in and run; what's there to "set up", other than (sometimes) needing to remove the bloatware?

My brother's boss recently won a Mac Air (the rich get richer...). Right now he's using it as a paperweight, despite my brother's and my efforts to get him to use it. He says OS X is confusing. *sigh*

08-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
. . . now more than ever a Mac is a PC
Of course, some would say that given the degree Windows has stolen Apple's format the more accurate way to put it is that a PC is a Mac.
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Mac & PC drives die at about the same frequency.

According to PC Magazine's 2010 Reliability and Service Survey, Mac laptop owners reported major problem(s) in 15.3% of their computers, Asus was 2nd at 17.1%. Given that Asus manufactures entry-level laptops as well as premium laptops, it's pretty fair to say that a premium Asus laptop is at least as reliable as a Mac laptop.
I didn't say anything about Macs - I was repudiating Clavius' 'surprise' re. PCs and their death. i.e. because his have never had a problem then he can't understand other people's breaking down *rolling eyes smilie*

One of the challenges in comparing Mac and PC - and really, even that's a misnomer as now more than ever a Mac is a PC - is that PC's run the gamut from $399 Walmart specials to $3000+ boutique systems. Many people who have burned thru a string of cheap PC's and had problems due to poor quality components finally say "screw it, I'm buying a $1500 Mac" and voila, they have a less troublesome experience. What seldom gets mentioned is that the same $1500 would have bought an equally hassle-free PC.
All my laptops & home desktops were damn expensive ($1,500 - 2,000) at the time but they died all the same. All the office cheapies died at around the same rate as the more expensive personal gear (actually a lower rate now I think of it). For me personally price has had nothing to do with it but maybe the stress put on the components by running multiple programs / hundreds of websites does (heat) ? Who knows, I don't care now - Macs make me happy.
08-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Of course, some would say that given the degree Windows has stolen Apple's format the more accurate way to put it is that a PC is a Mac.
Pfft. Both stole from Amiga and Xerox and Unix. Apple also "stole" PC hardware. A PC is a PC whether it runs Windows, Linux, etc.... so Apple is definitely much more PC than PC is Mac.

Apple has "stolen" plenty from the Wintel platform. I consider it cross-pollination.

Seriously, though, I think PC enthusiasts should look to Apple for the latest in product design and segmentation. It may not always work (as it should) but at least Apple adds zest to an often stagnant PC industry.
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I didn't say anything about Macs - I was repudiating Clavius' 'surprise' re. PCs and their death. i.e. because his have never had a problem then he can't understand other people's breaking down *rolling eyes smilie*
OK.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish:
All my laptops & home desktops were damn expensive ($1,500 - 2,000) at the time but they died all the same. All the office cheapies died at around the same rate as the more expensive personal gear (actually a lower rate now I think of it). For me personally price has had nothing to do with it but maybe the stress put on the components by running multiple programs / hundreds of websites does (heat) ? Who knows, I don't care now - Macs make me happy.
My experience has been the inverse of yours - over the last 5 years, of the 15 PC's I have built/refurbed for the use of my household, family, etc, one has failed - a PC I was overclocking by 50%, the PSU blew and took the motherboard with it. Everything else has worked well.

The 2 Macs over the same span have died. My surviving "Mac" is a Hackintoshed Dell laptop that's 3.5 yrs old. /shrug

* When I say "die", I mean that there wasn't an easy repair available, like replacing a PSU or RAM

** Sometimes "stuff" gets upgraded due to a desire for increased performance or simple ennui.
08-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #72
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems there is no sign of the OP since post #25.
Any final remarks for this merry-go-round thread?
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Seems there is no sign of the OP since post #25.
Any final remarks for this merry-go-round thread?
You might as well shut it down . . . As the voting indicates, Mac is clearly the best computer in the universe.
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I suggested a shut-down a few pages back. Yeah, it's time.
08-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was for the most part a tame discussion.
Closed Thread