Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is better, PC or Mac (Microsoft or Apple)?
Mac (Apple) 2354.76%
PC (Microsoft) 1945.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
PC or Mac?

Just wondering, what do people prefer/ think is better, PC or Mac? (or if you like Microsoft or Apple?)

07-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've had both. Mac is much better for photography processing.
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I voted Mac because I do think it's better. I've never owned one though because I'm cheap. Besides, Windows does just fine for me.

Larry
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I tend to think that the general question 'which is better' is automatically going to polarize people.

I do tend to think they're better but also realize that they cost more.

Perhaps the poll should be reworded to be more specific i.e. how is it better or not better (photos, word processing, etc)

Just some thoughts.

07-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

PC vs Mac discussions usually degenerate into holy wars. Tell ya what: I'll compare PC to Hitler and Mac to Stalin. This invokes Godwin's Rule, and we must shut down this thread. Whew.
07-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
JHD
Veteran Member

I've owned both for several years, but have settled on the PC as my only machine for numerous reasons.
07-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I've owned both for several years, but have settled on the PC as my only machine for numerous reasons.
I've owned both for several years, but have settled on the Mac as my only machine for numerous reasons.

But I still respect those who own & use PCs. Each to their own just as I also accept people who use cameras other than Pentax (Actually, I'm one of them so I have to accept myself as well.)

07-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is oddly titled - because a Mac and a PC are essentially the same piece of hardware since Apple switched to Intel years back.

The question should be which OS do you 'prefer' - neither is 'better' than the other - and the way that it appears "Hardware" centric even though they run the same hardware.... right down to the CPU's these days...

And via BootCamp + Fusion, or VMWare/VirtPC - you can run either OS on either platform. Assuming your PC hardware is made in the past 3-4 years.. So thats Windows on Mac or Mac on Windows.

I use a MacOSX VMWare image for doing the Mac things I have to do as well as testing stuff and doing integration work...
I also use a Linux VMWare Image
and the hardware 'natively' runs Windoze.

So with the one PC - I have everything, MacOSX, Windows and Linux ...

And better for 'what' ? Desktop Publishing, Imaging, Playing the Latest Games, Infrastructure Systems, Servers (and of what).... ?
07-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

I like the plug and go capability with MAC. Hate finding and loading drivers and setting up printers and all that with a PC.

There's also the whole virus thing. Can't tell you how many people I know who've had their PC's wiped out by viruses. Never heard of anyone I know with a MAC who have ever gotten anything like that.

Basically, the hassle free things I just mentioned are reason for me enough. Never mind the fact I think the MAC operating system is better and I despise Windows.
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Owned both prefer PC, they both can do the same thing depends on the user. I didn't vote because i don't consider one better than the other.
07-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. They're both better, depending on who you ask and what they want to do. No vote for me, you didn't allow both choices!

Jim (lessee, we have 7 PCs around the house, a Mac, and a flock of Ixxx thingies)
07-31-2011, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #12

I'm a PC man, I prefer better bang for my buck amongst other things, have had Mac before however it wasn't for me. I won't be voting either, Macs are too much of a rip off and Windows is the devil, pick your poison!
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
Banned

I build my own PCs but also have a Mac. I also use Linux sometimes just to see how the latest versions are but I have yet to see it replacing Windows 7 or OS X anytime soon.
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

Original Poster
I should of phrased my question like this, "What do people enjoy using more; PC or Mac, and for what reasons?" I didn't want to start a "holy war" ! I just wanted to get a feel of what tasks are best suited to Mac and PC's, this doesn't mean that you have to tell how your choice is superior to the opposing choice in every single way!!! Personally I think Mac's are suited to photo and video editing and PC's are better for gaming and hardware customization.
Bertie
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I like the plug and go capability with MAC. Hate finding and loading drivers and setting up printers and all that with a PC.
This is hardly an issue any more. Most drivers are installed automatically from the internet when you connect a printer or other device. But I will say that any time you need to support thousands of devices there's bound to be a hiccup or two along the way. The simplicity of the Mac comes partly from needing to support way fewer 3rd party devices = less choice for the consumer.

There's also the whole virus thing. Can't tell you how many people I know who've had their PC's wiped out by viruses. Never heard of anyone I know with a MAC who have ever gotten anything like that.
As a computer tech, most of the viruses I see infecting Windows machines got there not because of a vulnerability in the OS, but a vulnerability in the user. Most viruses are installed because the user is tricked into thinking they're installing something legitimate. The user is essentially giving the virus permission to install itself. We'll see this on Macs too.

Basically, the hassle free things I just mentioned are reason for me enough. Never mind the fact I think the MAC operating system is better and I despise Windows.
I personally never found Mac OS to be intuitive. But that's me personally. Just like I prefer to drive stick instead of an automatic. Just like I chose Pentax over Canon.

I also don't like being confined to the "Apple way". I like choice. I like flexibility.
Closed Thread