Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TV Series

The wife have over the last several years starting watching TV series on DVD - it started about 4 years ago when my wife bought me the complete Sopranos' series for Christmas (nether of us had even seen one eposide before - we lost many a weekend in Jan and Feb ). It's a great way to watch them no commercials, watch at any time. And when it's -20 C outside it's something to do hahah.

I searched and could not find a related thread - so I will start this one.

Series we are currently watching (PVR the second best way to watch TV)
========================================================

Breaking Bad (like this one)
True Blood (seems to getting weaker this season)
Sons of Anarchy (like this one)
Mad Men (like this one)
Dexter (like this one)
Game of Thrones (first season seems ok)
Spartacus (lead actor gets cancer not sure it will continue)
Boardwalk Empire (like this one)

Series we have bought and watched
============================
Sopranos’ (most excellent albiet week final)
Six Feet Under (loved it best final episode ever – they wrap it all up)
Deadwood (great but cancelled after 3 seasons)
Carnival (see Deadwood liked it but series was cancelled)
24 – Hated this one, watched maybe 3 episodes waste of money IMHO
Rescue Me (liked this – not sure what happened to it missed the ending)
Dead Like me (see Deadwood - was ok but cancelled)

So looking for some winter recommendations – anybody ?

Last edited by daacon; 08-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Dave

My wife and I really loved End Game on Showcase. It is supposedly set and film in Vancouver but they had some outside scenes and it was not raining so that might not be true. Being a typical Canadian series the first year was only about 6 or 8 episodes and first aired this spring. But I may not be the best judge of TV as Masterpiece Mystery is still IMHO the best there is on TV (even better than hockey)
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battlestar Galactica (the new one) - don't laugh. One of the best series of the past decade.

Being Human (BBC version) - this one's still going. Great quirky character driven show.
08-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Dave

My wife and I really loved End Game on Showcase. It is supposedly set and film in Vancouver but they had some outside scenes and it was not raining so that might not be true. Being a typical Canadian series the first year was only about 6 or 8 episodes and first aired this spring. But I may not be the best judge of TV as Masterpiece Mystery is still IMHO the best there is on TV (even better than hockey)
I have no other options but to report you to both Don Cherry and Dudley Do-Right - I'll give the End Game a look thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Battlestar Galactica (the new one) - don't laugh. One of the best series of the past decade.

Being Human (BBC version) - this one's still going. Great quirky character driven show.
I wouldl like BC not so much the wife - I did watch a few episodes and it looked resonable (I am a Sci-Fi fan) - Never heard of Being Human - love most British Humor (Monty Python yep Benny Hill not so much) will check that out.

08-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

I wouldl like BC not so much the wife - I did watch a few episodes and it looked resonable (I am a Sci-Fi fan) - Never heard of Being Human - love most British Humor (Monty Python yep Benny Hill not so much) will check that out.
Interesting thing about Battlestar, there are some very good female characters on that show, including the first decent portrayal of a female president in a TV series. There were lots of female fans. If your wife was willing to give it a try, she may fall in love with it. I'm a woman and I think it's the best thing ever.

Hope you like Being Human. Nice thing about the Brit series, they don't mess around. Short seasons and they get to the point!
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check these out on Netflix. We just started watching Mad Men and it's pretty good. Can't watch Battlestar, even though i want to, because it's too loud and my wife is terrified of the baby waking up. We actually like Burn Notice. Mostly because I'm a sucker for Bruce Campbell. It's good light entertainment.
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Burn Notice is great fun!

08-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
We watch Dexter also. It is a very dark series but very good. Another that I have is Northern Exposure.

My all-time favrite is M*A*S*H. We have two copies of the full series and watch an episode almost daily.
08-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've either watched or am interested in all the shows you listed OP. Here are a couple that I'll add:

Weeds (4 seasons i think, with final currently airing).
The Walking Dead (1st season just finished, slated for a 2nd)
Fallen Skies (just saw the season premiere at 80mins long, still deciding...)

Aside from series, I find myself watching a lot of documentary/reality TV. Favorites include (all through Netflix):

Bizarre Foods (gross food, but really good on culture)
Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations (food and culture)
Dhani Tackles the Globe (travels the globe playing different sports, learns about their culture)
Dirty Jobs (fun show, good host)
Man vs. Wild (Bear Grylls is THE man, except for the pee drinking part. Can't believe PETA doesn't target him.)
Obsessed (lot's of mental people out there, OCD)
Intervention (same as above, but covers addiction)
Hoarders (makes me feel better about "collecting" camera gear)
Gangland (real life Son's of Anarchy )
Lockdown (makes me never want to be in prison because "I'm too pretty")
Top Gear (funny, even if you're not a car nut, later seasons are much better)

Last edited by einstrigger; 08-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.
08-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use to watch re-runs of M*A*S*H as well one of the best 1/2 hour series on TV of all time no question. I still watch re-runs of the original Law and Order though

I have seen Northern Exposure , it's good.

Also forgot about the United States of Tara - like that one as well.

Another series I forgot to mention we have just started based on a friends recommendation is Nip & Tuck - we have just started season 3 - first two seasons where very good - season 3 so far seems a little weak , but we have just started it - overall we like it (good charaters , has humour , dark stuff, sex meets all the requirements )

Forgot about the Walking Dead yes we have that to PVR in the fall as well
Weeds I like the earlier seasons - this season so far I rate it like 2 kernels of popcorn out of 5 haha.
Fallen Skies - know nothing about that - will look into.

We also watch or have watched most of the A&E documentries as well.

Last edited by daacon; 08-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.
08-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry, it's actually "Falling Skies". Couldn't remember till I looked it up. Basically alien invasion and how people survive in the aftermath. Hmm...similar to Walking Dead where people are surviving a zombie aftermath
08-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I liked Dexter before it completely jumped the shark and they killed off his wife, a main character in the books. I haven't been able to watch the trainwreck it's become since. I watch Doctor Who, Torchwood avidly. True Blood, The Mentalist, Law and Order CI, I also really like and never miss. (I'm a huge Goren and Eames fan, but couldn't care less about the other L&O shows now really.) I don't watch too much by way of the new shows actually except for the odd paranormal thing. But few of the reality shows thrill me. I don't watch ghostbusters live shows very often. I prefer shows like A Haunting to that kind of thing, Paranormal State excepted. That one I grew to rather like despite it's format.

A lot of my shows are old shows actually. I tend to collect really obscure stuff sometimes. My latest is "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne" a series I badly wanted to see when it was on because it starred Michael Praed from Robin of Sherwood, a series I absolutely adored. (Though he's not my favorite Robin, Jason Connery is, I like Praed too.) I missed it because I didn't have a TV at the time. I finally found it and I'm enjoying it immensely and really wishing it had lasted for more than one season. Ditto a quirky little show called Key West which I had heard of and really, really liked once I sat down to watch it.

This past year I have re-visted several shows from my childhood including Wonder Woman, The Fantastic Journey (Thank you, YouTube! I'd been badly wanting to see that again for decades, ditto Hallmark's Beauty and the Beast which I also found on there last month, remembered very fondly, and never thought I'd ever see again.) The Man From Atlantis, and my all time favorite Saturday kids shows Jem and the Holograms and Isis.

I tend to like the spooky shows things like Tales From the Crypt, Tales From The Darkside, Freddy's Nightmares, Poltergeist The Legacy, Werewolf, She Wolf of London, and Dracula the Series are favorite shows that I revisit from time to time. I also like fantasy adventure shows like Highlander, MacGyver, Legend, Jeremiah, Queen of Swords, Smallville, The Amazing Spiderman, The Hulk. I'm also a sucker for tear jerker old style family shows like Little House, the Waltons, TBAA/Promised Land.

I like original Battlestar Galactica very much but absolutely despise the new one. (Starbuck a GIRL with the hots for Apollo? Are those people NUTS? I don't care how well it's made or how many more good female role models there are. The character assassinations and gender flips of some of my favorite characters from the old series turned me right off watching that lame excuse for a remake of a TV series.) I was raised on Trek. Like them all except Enterprise, Scott Bakula of the wonderful Quantum Leap notwithstanding the episodes I've seen of Enterprise just didn't measure up well to previous Trek, IMHO, and I quickly gave up on it. I'm an avid V (like both versions) and SG1 fan, but I'm not as crazy about the SG1 spin offs and the later SG1 episodes sans Richard Dean Anderson just don't do it for me. The show is only half SG1 when he's not in an episode and I feel the same way when Micheal Shanks is missing in action.

Anything period, I watch a lot of Mysteries and Masterpiece stuff. I'm a huge fan of Poldark, I Claudius and Cadfael, in particular. I also like an old comedy-medieval series called Covington Cross a lot.

Like I said, I have some pretty obscure tastes in TV shows and I don't watch much in terms of recent stuff. I have maybe 5 new shows all year that I still keep up on. I don't often add to that anymore. I prefer the stuff I have on DVD and movies mostly....

Last edited by magkelly; 08-02-2011 at 03:38 PM.
08-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't watch TV. My attention span is too short.
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like original Battlestar Galactica very much but absolutely despise the new one. (Starbuck a GIRL with the hots for Apollo? Are those people NUTS? I don't care how well it's made or how many more good female role models there are. The character assassinations and gender flips of some of my favorite characters from the old series turned me right off watching that lame excuse for a remake of a TV series.)
I'm sorry but you have it backwards. I have nostalgic fond memories of the original, but the new show is better in every single respect. It is widely considered one of the best shows ever. You can't say that about the rather cheesy original. The only thing about the original that stands the test of time is the theme.

I can't believe I failed to mention The Walking Dead. Terrific show, though the season finale wasn't the greatest. The second season trailer has me very excited for its return.

And I enjoy Dexter, too, though I feel they need to end it this season. It's gone on too long.
08-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The Wonder Years is only on bootleg copies, so that one is out.

Firefly is interesting if you like science-fictiony space-westerns. They really screwed it during its brief run - episode 2 was shown as the pilot for starters, and it hopped around the schedule...the subsequent movie Serenity is more of the same and ties up some ends.

The Larry Sanders Show was interesting, more so for Jeffrey Tambor and Rip Torn...

Columbo is good.
Sports Night is good.
Frasier is good.
MASH is good, after season 3.

I have NYPD Blue season 1, The Simpsons season 1 and Futurama, all unopened...