Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Keep'em comming ..Columnbo ahh yes one more thing haha - if we are talking about old series then a couple of my favorites were / are

Current : Hockey Night In Canada (but defintley lost some respect for CBC when they lost the theme song to TSN .. unfreakingbelievable .....)
Most Sports (CFL,MLB,NFL,NBA) more so in the playoff run though .......

NightStalker
Kojack
Twilight Zone
Get Smart
6 Million dollar man (I know .....)
Walt Disney
Charlies Angles (great plots and character development in that one ..ohh Farah was never my favorite)

I am sure there are others - but a few off the top of my head

08-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One that wasn't 'mainstream' - Da Vinci's Inquest was a relatively unknown one (here in Australia anyway) from Canada I quite enjoyed back in the late 90's early 2000's... Was refreshing to watch a program with similar Coronial System to Australia....
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'm sorry but you have it backwards. I have nostalgic fond memories of the original, but the new show is better in every single respect. It is widely considered one of the best shows ever. You can't say that about the rather cheesy original. The only thing about the original that stands the test of time is the theme.
I totally disagree. Oh yeah I can say that. I don't care how many people lauded it. I've watched a few episodes of the new one, and didn't like it at all. I literally couldn't continue to watch it. I still watch old BG all the time. It's one of the few shows I actually have official DVD's for. I still love it just like I love the 3 old Star Wars films over the new prequels.

Every time I watch I see new stuff I missed when I was watching it as a kid. It is a bit hokey but then so again is old series Trek and I still love that too. To each his or her own I guess, but I just can't see a shred of old BG left in the newly re-imagined version. Old BG may be hokey but it had heart, something I think the new series entirely lacks. I'm kind of glad that the original creator is going back to the original story and characters for the new movie he is planning. I really hope he can pull it off soon.

I'm not quite sure how they are going to do it now that half the older cast is gone. I guess they'll make Apollo the new Adama type character and so forth, but I am looking forward a lot to seeing the older series cast back as much as possible. (I'm really hoping Dirk Benedict will come back as the real Starbuck, cigar in hand, sass, sarcasm and male gender fully intact.) Supposedly they're going to ignore a lot of Galactica 1980 which makes me very happy actually as I didn't like too much of that.

BTW, there is a lot more to that old soundtrack than just the main theme that stands the test of time. You might want to check out the full multiple CD version they finally released. I always liked the original LP music, but having it all finally is really nice. It was a lot better soundtrack than a lot of people ever realized. I was thrilled to have it all finally.
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
Forum Member

We also own DVDs of the Sopranos - good to watch late at night when and only when the kids are tucked up in bed. Also own a few series of the The West Wing.

Anthony Bourdain is also a favourite as is Bear Grills - if only to see how many stupid things he can do in the one show!

08-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Columnbo
I'm gonna break it out now. I like the one where he is asked if he is going to get a new jacket. He'd thought about it, but "there's still a lot of life in this fella", and also where he talks about his wife's car, but "that's nothin' special - just for transportation".

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-02-2011 at 07:25 PM.
08-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Another great show I have always wanted to watch is The Wire. Still haven't managed to see it yet, but maybe one day....
08-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
One that wasn't 'mainstream' - Da Vinci's Inquest was a relatively unknown one (here in Australia anyway) from Canada I quite enjoyed back in the late 90's early 2000's... Was refreshing to watch a program with similar Coronial System to Australia....
That was a really great series. Nicolas Campbell is a terrific actor. The follow up series Da Vinci's City Hall is not nearly as good. During the writer's strike in the States a couple of years ago one of the Spokane stations played the old shows and must of been popular enough as they showed it even after the end of the strike. Campbell also starred in a movie The Englishman's Boy set part in Hollywood and part in the Cypress Hills, about an hour from where I live. I had met the author of the book about a decade before the movie came out.

We used to get some of your shows and rather liked watching them, Halifax and I think it was River Rats and one other show I do not remember and now there is Sea Patrol (might be wrong on the name). Do not know why we do not get more as the best Australian or British drama must be better than the worse American one,

For the person who likes period shows Murdoch (the 19th Century Toronto detective not the man in the news) is an enjoyable but not great series. The original shows, I think 3 one and half hour episodes called Murder 19C were much better and much darker.

Going back in time and two totally different types of shows but both great were the British The Sandbaggers and the Prisoner. The latter definitely from the Sgt Peppers era

08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I own DVDs of the following TV series:

Abbott and Costello (TV show)
Fawlty Towers
Flight of The Conchords
No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
Maniac Mansion
The Steven Banks Show

Chris
Who's on first?

Phil.
08-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Another real good show, if you haven't seen it already: HBO's "Rome". I believe it was two seasons.
08-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes we saw Rome it was pretty good - I think we watched a few eposides of the Wire - it got great reviews did not like it though.

Oz was another HBO series we saw - it was ok - I find a lot of these sereies start out pretty good then fall off at the end (someone made that point about Dexter - I would agree with that and Weeds is in the same boat so to speak).

Other series like Deadwood (which we loved ) just get cancelled.

For reality shows hard to beat Deadliest Catch love that show. Enjoy Pawn Stars as well on ocassion.

Interesting a few like Da Vinci's Inquest . There are not many Canadian shows that are ...well very good haha. We enjoyed Trailer Park Boys silly fun.
08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Yes we saw Rome it was pretty good - I think we watched a few eposides of the Wire - it got great reviews did not like it though.

Oz was another HBO series we saw - it was ok - I find a lot of these sereies start out pretty good then fall off at the end (someone made that point about Dexter - I would agree with that and Weeds is in the same boat so to speak).

Other series like Deadwood (which we loved ) just get cancelled.

For reality shows hard to beat Deadliest Catch love that show. Enjoy Pawn Stars as well on ocassion.

Interesting a few like Da Vinci's Inquest . There are not many Canadian shows that are ...well very good haha. We enjoyed Trailer Park Boys silly fun.
Cold Squad was better than Cold Case. Other Canadian series that have been good are The Eleventh Hour (the one about a documentary news team) and the first two seasons of Street Legal.

When my wife was at school in Europe there were a couple of New Yorkers who raved about Corner Gas.

For bad Canadian shows there is a big list though including Due South, the Littest Hobo and just about all the dramas that pretent to be set in the US as they were shot up here to save money when our dollar was low and they also saved a little money by not hiring script writers.
08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Cold Squad was better than Cold Case. Other Canadian series that have been good are The Eleventh Hour (the one about a documentary news team) and the first two seasons of Street Legal.

When my wife was at school in Europe there were a couple of New Yorkers who raved about Corner Gas.

For bad Canadian shows there is a big list though including Due South, the Littest Hobo and just about all the dramas that pretent to be set in the US as they were shot up here to save money when our dollar was low and they also saved a little money by not hiring script writers.
I forgot about Street Legal yeah I watched a bit of that it was good (as mentioned int he Early years). Not a fan of Corner Gas .... Degrassi had a big following just not my cup of tea so to speak , certain episodes of the 5th Estate were good, Sometimes the Kids in the Hall was funny, I am sure there were a few more.
08-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #28

+1 for Dexter
+1 for breaking bad

Not mentioned so far but that I enjoyed:

The Wire
Entourage
08-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Son of the Beach is funny in a juvenile anal/genital/sexual Baywatch kind of way. I'd recommend watching when the wife and kids are gone. One character's name is Anita Massingill. Episode names include Silence of the Clams, Two Thongs Don't Make Right, Cocktopussy, and Queefer Madness. In one episode they travel to the country of Begonia or Humidor (I forget) and the star, Notch Johnson, blows down a jail door with a lighted bean fart.

You've been warned...
08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Son of the Beach is funny in a juvenile anal/genital/sexual Baywatch kind of way. I'd recommend watching when the wife and kids are gone. One character's name is Anita Massingill. Episode names include Silence of the Clams, Two Thongs Don't Make Right, Cocktopussy, and Queefer Madness. In one episode they travel to the country of Begonia or Humidor (I forget) and the star, Notch Johnson, blows down a jail door with a lighted bean fart.

You've been warned...
Haven't seen that show in years. I was a fan of his show Night stand with Dick Dietrich.