Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
As Jeff notes, these are heavily Republican districts... but still, it shows enough Republicans are more aligned with what Walker is doing to keep the senators in.

Next week, I think we'll see if the Republicans can recall the Democrats?

And when do we see if Wisconsin can recall Walker?
Yes, what was attempted here is pretty extraordinary. To win, Dems needed to convince Republicans to turn out one of their own.

There have only been two successful recalls of governors in the history of the U.S., so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

17-16. This is now the Republican majority. Assuming the Democrats hold their offices next week, this razor thin margin just might make those who hold elected office more willing to compromise. I believe this is what most voters in Wisconsin wanted in the first place. This is what I wanted. Instead we got shock and awe winner take all take no prisoners style of governing.

If the one vote majority holds, then the Republicans will really have to wine and dine Dale Schultz. The lone Republican who voted against Walkers overreach. His words, not mine.

I don't want to see either party while holding a majority start acting like a pack of ravenous dogs smelling blood. Being moderate is not a sin.

All I want is a willingness by them to listen to everybody. Hopefully this will be a start.

Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 08-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
One important thing to look for in elections is voter turnout. It looks like the voter turnout yesterday was extremely high, 60%+, a range normally reserved for presidential and gubernatorial elections.

It would be a "fizzle" if no one cared enough to show up at the polls and you had a 15-25% turnout which is more typical for a special election. This was an outright rebuke of the democratic opposition and an affirmation of the voting public's support of the Tea Party agenda.

Voter turnout high in recall elections
The Republicans barely keep power, but, as a result of the turn down Tea Party Blvd, they now have two less seats their majority is 20% of what it was. I don't think that is a rousing affirmation of support for the Tea Party agenda--and this from Republican districts.

And I wonder what the vote would have been if the election had not been delayed by the Republicans running fake Dem. candidates.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-10-2011 at 11:09 AM.
08-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The Republicans barely keep power, but, as a result of the turn down Tea Party Blvd, they now have two less seats their majority is 20% of what it was. I don't think that is a rousing affirmation of support for the Tea Party agenda--and this from Republican districts.

And I wonder what the vote would have been if the election had not been delayed by the Republicans running fake Dem. candidates.
In the context of polls and stories saying that the Tea Party and republicans will be blamed for the debt ceiling debacle, that the american people overwhelmingly support tax increases, that Walker's policies were unpopular, that the Tea Party and republicans are too radical for voters, that the Tea Party are a bunch of suicide bombers, etc. etc. etc.

A 53:47 split with a 60% turnout is a big thumbs up for the policy choices of the past 8 months. I don't know how you can look at the republicans prevailing over the intense media and advertising pressure without questioning the veracity of the polls and stories we have been seeing lately about public sentiment towards conservative policies.

08-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

In the context of polls and stories saying that the Tea Party and republicans will be blamed for the debt ceiling debacle, that the american people overwhelmingly support tax increases, that Walker's policies were unpopular, that the Tea Party and republicans are too radical for voters, that the Tea Party are a bunch of suicide bombers, etc. etc. etc.

A 53:47 split with a 60% turnout is a big thumbs up for the policy choices of the past 8 months. I don't know how you can look at the republicans prevailing over the intense media and advertising pressure without questioning the veracity of the polls and stories we have been seeing lately about public sentiment towards conservative policies.
The Republicans that prevailed were already in and in Republican districts. The change was in favor of the Democrats. That is how I can say it is not a big affirmation of Tea Party politics. A recall is a long shot. I'm surprised they did as well as they did.
08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think more is being made of voting persuasions than what's actually there. I know a lot of people and we've discussed politics at length. In just about all cases, their votes are cast based on popularity, friend of a friend, my team verses your team, she's a woman, he's black, ect... Nobody really seems to know the issues being presented and they're not interested in a fact finding mission. I mean both parties too. This type of voting based on fluff is why the non stop attack ads are so effective.

In a perfect world, voters would cast their ballot being informed rather than "he's my neighbor's uncle, so he must be a good guy" vote. This is mostly the way it's always been and probably will always be....on the state and local level anyway. Democracy is not perfect, but's the best we've got.

Larry
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I would think that in this particular election, Wisconsinians (Wisconsinites?) understood what was at stake... or do you mean even in this situation, people would dissociate what has happened vs. who they vote for? That boggles the mind.

08-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I would think that in this particular election, Wisconsinians (Wisconsinites?) understood what was at stake... or do you mean even in this situation, people would dissociate what has happened vs. who they vote for? That boggles the mind.
Many understood, many did not and many didn't care. I live in a small western district where Kapanke was voted out. Even so, his sister lives in my small town, so it's a vote for Dan Kapanke because they know her. People here didn't care about his politics. Many wouldn't sign his recall petition even though they didn't like his stance. They didn't sign for fear of running into him at the local K Mart and he'd know. We're a funny bunch in in the farmland part of the state. We're afraid to put our signature on paper when we don't like whats going on because we don't want to offend.

Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 08-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.
08-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Many understood, many did not and many didn't care. I live in a small western district where Kapanke was voted out. Even so, his sister lives in my small town, so it's a vote for Dan Kapanke because they know her. People here didn't care about his politics. Many wouldn't sign his recall petition even though they didn't like his stance. They didn't sign for fear of running into him at the local K Mart and he'd know. We're a funny bunch in in the farmland part of the state. We're afraid to put our signature on paper when we don't like whats going on because we don't want to offend.

Larry
That is very typical of state legislatures. It is why I was surprised anyone was booted out on a recall.
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
Inactive Account

That is very typical of state legislatures. It is why I was surprised anyone was booted out on a recall.
Its typical for state legislatures, dog catchers, and city councilman that the person with the largest extended family wins. But these were very atypical elections.
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Its typical for state legislatures, dog catchers, and city councilman that the person with the largest extended family wins. But these were very atypical elections.
Atypical or not, for the most part this vote remains typical. We had the protesters protesting. They forced recalls though petitions. This energized a base who's sole purpose was to retake the legislature. This in turn fired up the Republican war machine to counteract the attack. They too forced recalls. Both groups will vote the way they're supposed to vote.

Election day. The two warring factions cast their respective votes like good soldiers. Then, the rest of the commoners vote as they always do. "Ah, I know his sister and he seems like a nice guy, and, I see him over at the K Mart sometimes." Votes cast.

Larry
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

True to some extent. What has atypical is that two of the Republican incumbents were actually turned out.
08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Democrats hadn’t bothered to run a candidate against Cowles in more than a decade, and many assumed his seat to be among the safest of the nine facing recalls

BTW: there are significant miscounts increasing the Dems total vote (not enough to swing nor does it make it nail biting close BUT interesting never the less..

QuoteQuote:
If the numbers are altered to reflect the changes I noted above, Cowles’ win in Outagamie County was 6,844 votes to 5,215, or 56 percent to 44. That’s much more closely aligned with results from the other three district counties — 56-43 in Brown, 60-40 in Oconto and Shawano — than the 69 percent advantage that’s currently being reported.

Even if my hunch is correct, the results won’t change the fact that Cowles easily won the seat he’s held for a quarter century, but it is a reminder that election results are unofficial until they are certified.

GOOD THING we have voter ID now.......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

True to some extent. What has atypical is that two of the Republican incumbents were actually turned out.
Sometimes it's just the devil you know is better than the one you don't..........

just being an incumbent and not haven killed anyone, or robbed a bank.. (citizens are OK to rob though)..is worth 10-20 percentage points..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
08-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Democracy is not perfect, but's the best we've got.
It does not necessarily follow that the "best we've got" is also good enough.

By and large this was a vote by the small, impotent, uninformed and frightened voting for what they perceive as being in their narrow short term self interests without any clear idea of what those self interests are. But you can bet that folks like the Koch brothers and politicians on both sides know exactly and accurately where their interests are.

At the end of the day, even at it's best, an election is by and large a mindless headcount.

Don't read too much into it. The political dynamics will probably be completely different in another six months.

Last edited by wildman; 08-11-2011 at 04:29 AM.