Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I am a great advocate of publicly funded, single payer health care as one of the" skids to be greased" ie helping people to progress. I think such strategies are as important as farm to market roads or sidewalks and city water.
That is, if you believe in social progress. Conservatives tend to doubt it is possible... and so we get Nixon and Reagan behaving like FDR made sense, simpy because progress from a few decades ago has now become natural, God given status quo And why the Tea party is so radical, anti-conservative in a sense.

We didn't have no welfare state, no health care back in the Golden age. Heck, conservatives even doubted government had any business with roads.

08-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here's an example of the attitudes we are dealing with in my home town. This is a quote from a letter to the Editor of the Ames (IA) Tribune:
QuoteQuote:
Doug G. wrote on Aug 5, 2011 1:40 PM:
" Onve (sic) again, for those of you who feel it's a "right" to sponge off the rest of us, if you want to use Birth Control that's your right, but don't ask me to help pay for it. Please be accountable to yourselves for once "
and a snippet of my response:
QuoteQuote:
The cost of unwanted babies to society is the issue and the strategy proposed to mitigate it is a good one. It prevents abortion and the myriad costs resulting from unwanted children.

I imagine the total cost for supplying contraception would be low - much lower than what we are spending on jails etc.
I think much of liberal policy has roots in the overall good of the community and needs to be at least partly explained in economic terms.

Last edited by newarts; 08-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I imagine the total cost for supplying contraception would be low - much lower than what we are spending on jails etc.
You could provide a woman with a lifetime supply of BC pills or an IUD for a fraction of the cost medicaid pays for labor and delivery.
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But... but... that would encourage them to have sex!

08-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
You could provide a woman with a lifetime supply of BC pills or an IUD for a fraction of the cost medicaid pays for labor and delivery.
I think a better plan might be to provide us all with little built-in valves that we turn on only when we actually want a baby!
Closed Thread