Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe that what she actually sued them for was not the fall, but for publishing the security tape of the incident. Funny thing is it was such low quality that no one could have known who it was if she hadn't come forward.

08-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I agree - I own a cell phone - it's biggest asset is the various Emails I have configured on it this to me is invaluable. My wife has one - for her it is a incomming pager (rarely answers it) and for outgoing calls.

99% of my texts are in response to my offspring texting me, the other 1% is me texting them. Very infrequent.

Don't make many calls on it either (not much of a talker on the phone - more of a hello - what do you want / need kinda guy )

Both my kids are addicted without a doubt - thousands of texts a month, phone calls and emails , they both use to sleep with it not sure on the boy as he has moved out recenlty however my daughter still puts it byher head when she takes a nap on the couch).

I think we have the new beginnings of an A&E Intervention Series
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
(not much of a talker on the phone - more of a hello - what do you want / need kinda guy )
That's me exactly. My phone plan is unlimited data, and pay by the minute (.25) phone calls. Last month I paid .50 for phone usage.
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What a bunch of Luddites!

I expected you people would be more with it! I never suspected that a thread of avoiding the future would tie Pentaxians together. But wait! We are all clinging to the past by using Pentax & its 60 year old lenses!

Coincidence? I think not!

(sent with my smartphone that I use to obsessively prowl these fora)

08-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote

I expected you people would be more with it! I never suspected that a thread of avoiding the future would tie Pentaxians together. But wait! We are all clinging to the past by using Pentax & its 60 year old lenses!

Hey there - steady on!

I'm no Luddite - my oldest lens is only 45 years !
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #21

It seems to be more of an American phenomenon, as far as I can tell. You don't see this sort of obsessive behavior, certainly not to the degree here, at least in Europe. Note that you have a signal there EVERYWHERE, and WiFi is plentiful. But when people go to a public place, people socialize with the company that brung them.

I have a pay-as-you-go plan, make maybe 2 texts a day, and rarely make more than two brief calls a day. 99% to my SO. Thankfully, neither is she an addict.
08-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

me too - although I love my cellphone too!
+1 for being guilty of pentax forum addiction (just ask my wife), but I'm not addicted to my cell phone. In fact, now that I am retired, I rarely turn it on. I don't text, twitter, FB, or any of that other stuff.

08-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
It seems to be more of an American phenomenon, as far as I can tell. You don't see this sort of obsessive behavior, certainly not to the degree here, at least in Europe. Note that you have a signal there EVERYWHERE, and WiFi is plentiful. But when people go to a public place, people socialize with the company that brung them.
I witnessed obsessive phoning-texting in Italy in 2001. Maybe y'all got over it already?
08-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm trying real hard to find some practical use for this thing. I was the laughing stock at work with my 9 yr old Motorola Star Tac. A couple of weeks ago I got a Droid X2. My daughter needed a new phone and they were a buy one get one free deal. I've been playing with it some, mostly trying to figure it out. I'll probably use it more once we finally get cell service at home. For now, I can only use it on wi-fi unless I go outside and stand on the roof. The APA finally gave a permit for a cell tower and northern Saratoga county and Warren county will finally have service. It took 9 years.
08-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Easy there Big Fella - I embrace the smart phone - I just tend not to Text while walking or driving - or much at all really - I would email if it is not urgent or If I really need to get a hold of someone I will call rather than text. And as mentioned the Email for me is indespensible.
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I started this thread out of a sense of humor about the subject but on searching I was surprised just how much there is out there (cyberspace) on this "addiction":

See here for example:

QuoteQuote:
It may not come as a big surprise to everyone, but teenagers currently make up the majority of the world's cell phone users. And while their continued growth may not be surprising, some of the statistics might shock you. While roughly 71% of North American teens own a cell phone, about 96% of 16-17 year old students in Japan also own their own cell phones.

These numbers help back up what many marketers have believed for a long time: today's youth are among the largest consumers of new technology. Most teenagers would think nothing of lining up for hours in order to purchase the next big gaming console, media player or cell phone. Unlike their parents, price isn't always the biggest obstacle. Most teens are willing to fork out extra money to ensure that their phone has full keyboard functionality for text messaging, a built-in camera, gaming options, media playback, and Internet access.

With so much technology crammed into one single phone, teens have become less reliant on other devices. Because of this reliance, most teens feel the need to have their phones with them at all times. They believe that they is no reason that they should ever have to miss a call or a text message. This dependency has been directly linked to the number of automotive accidents that are related to cell phone use. Over 20% of all fatal car crashes involving American drivers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the direct result of cell phone use.

Can we simply place the blame on inexperience, or is there more to this problem then meets the eye? When someone becomes dependent on any one thing, it is often referred to as an addiction.

Can someone really be addicted to a cell phone, in the same way they may be addicted to alcohol or drugs? If you ask some parents, they believe their teenaged offspring could very well be addicted to their phones. Some have noticed changes in the child's behavior. They've seen their child become paranoid whenever they would miss a call or text message. They've watched their sons and daughters show signs of depression and apprehensiveness when they are unable to locate their phone. Many teenagers encounter additional problems at their school, at their work, or at home because of their cell phone usage. Not everybody is ready to refer to this problem as a "disease", just yet. However, the number of clinics who are willing to treating this problem as they would alcoholism or drug addiction has increased.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3136619
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Do CPA's have CPA?
08-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Do CPA's have CPA?
With the stress they must be under these day due to the economy, I would think CPA would be more frequent than usual among CPAs; whether the suffer from Cell Phone Addiction, or not.
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The droid has replaced the pda and several other gadgets. It is a sort of tri-coder for some of us science types. Once in a while it even makes a phone call.
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The droid has replaced the pda and several other gadgets. It is a sort of tri-coder for some of us science types. Once in a while it even makes a phone call.
Mister Chekov, I think you've earned your pay for the week