Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #76
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I am sometimes on the sales floor at work, and it is not unusual for a person to start asking me for help or information and then when their phone beeps, to summarily cut me off and read whatever text message has arrived, often replying as well.
I just walk away and find someone else to help out.
I do exactly the same thing. If there's no one else to help, I just find something to do at the other end of the shop. I've even asked a few people to leave when their conversation interfered with other customers.
Part of the problem is that some people don't seem to understand the technology involved in cell phones. They think they work they same way as two cans and a string, so you have to talk really loud.

02-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I've noticed is an increased level of rudeness because of people being addicted to their phones. I am sometimes on the sales floor at work, and it is not unusual for a person to start asking me for help or information and then when their phone beeps, to summarily cut me off and read whatever text message has arrived, often replying as well.
Drives me nuts too. I've had my moments with my old blackberry when i worked for Future Shop (corporate culture demanded immediate response to the bloody thing more than one i was answering an email at 3 am from some idiot in BC.

The worst has to be when people are out at dinner with friends and family and have the bloody thing in the table and can't seem to ignore it.

for me it's right up there with people who want to watch TV at a party. (there's a reason mines in the basement and if you insist on going down and watching the game then it's probably the last time you'll be invited over )
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #78
Banned

NASCAR driver tweets from car, gains 100,000 followers

QuoteQuote:
When the Daytona 500 ran into a protracted delay following an explosion and fire on the track Monday night, NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski did what any social media addict would: grabbed his phone and began posting status updates to Twitter.

Then he gained more than 100,000 followers in less than two hours.

Keselowski's fellow driver Juan Pablo Montoya crashed into a safety vehicle mid-race. The collision and jet fuel — the safety vehicle reportedly holds 200 gallons of jet kerosene — sparked a huge ball of fire, although both vehicles' drivers appeared to avoid serious injury.

The race was halted. From his spot in the racecar traffic jam, Keselowski sent this tweet to his (at the time) less than 85,000 followers.
Fiery Daytona collision spills jet fuel

More than an hour later, the race resumed. Keselowski's follower count topped 185,000.

Keselowski's initial tweet set off a hysteria in the sports Twittersphere, and triggered a set of funny exchanges between him and his fans. Keselowski then passed the continued delay with a steady stream of tweets updating and reacting to the accident and to-be-continued race.

Eventually, the Daytona 500 got underway again, and Keselowski passed the message on to his swollen follower count by retweeting NASCAR's senior vice president Steve O'Donnell's message: "Alright. Run jet quickly over area-drivers strapped in. Will run some caution laps and make sure we are good. Thanks for patience!"

Earlier, Keselowski had retweeted fan Jessica Lynn Burkett, who spoke for pretty much everyone when she posted: "So we have a Monday night #NascarPrimetime #daytona500 race, jet dryer blow up and @keselowski tweeting from his car.... #AWESOMENESS!!!"

Keselowski then got into a wreck of his own after the race resumed. No word whether it was a case of tweeting-while-driving, but he did post another message to his account minutes after his crash.
NASCAR driver tweets from car, gains 100,000 followers - CNN.com

NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski uploaded this photo of an explosion on the race track to Twitter.
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #79
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing I've noticed is an increased level of rudeness because of people being addicted to their phones. I am sometimes on the sales floor at work, and it is not unusual for a person to start asking me for help or information and then when their phone beeps, to summarily cut me off and read whatever text message has arrived, often replying as well.
Someone needs to buy us a cold brew Wheatfield......one of those rare times when we are in total agreement!

Regards!

02-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #80

Photos: Albums
I am an x-ray tech at a local hospital, and there have been many times people have tried to get off of my x-ray table because their cell phone rang. If you are at the emergency room in the middle of the night with abdomen pains, an x-ray is a little more important than a phone call. I have been known to tell patients that they have to place their cell phones on the counter because the x-rays will mess it up. They reluctantly place it there.
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I've looked into getting myself a 2 year cell phone addiction, but at 70 bucks on up for talk, text and data per month, I decided my 10 dollar a month dumb talk only phone from my sister's family plan is as addicted as I want to be.
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I don't have any problem putting my cell away, but the new tablet? That's another story, laugh. I've had the thing less than a week and I just can't stay off it! I've been most configuring it and reading books on it to be fair but I'm absolutely loving the thing so much that I am carrying it around and even taking it to the bathroom. I have yet to check email or to text anyone on it and I doubt that I will. It's my book reader and a decent media player but I still like surfing and chatting on the big computer better. Reading a book on a 8" screen is one thing. Web surfing on one is another. I don't get how people manage it on 4" phone screens, I really don't, let alone while driving? No way...

03-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I don't have any problem putting my cell away, but the new tablet? That's another story, laugh. I've had the thing less than a week and I just can't stay off it! I've been most configuring it and reading books on it to be fair but I'm absolutely loving the thing so much that I am carrying it around and even taking it to the bathroom. I have yet to check email or to text anyone on it and I doubt that I will. It's my book reader and a decent media player but I still like surfing and chatting on the big computer better. Reading a book on a 8" screen is one thing. Web surfing on one is another. I don't get how people manage it on 4" phone screens, I really don't, let alone while driving? No way...
My sister-in-law loves her tablet too. My brother has a movies-on-demand fixed-price deal with his ISP that's cheaper than cable TV. My SiL takes her iPad to bed to watch movies.

Richard.
03-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Me too, but mostly it's all about reading in bed. I used to have a pile of library books by my bed to plow through every week and to lug back and forth to and from the library? No more. Now I have maybe one physical book and a whole library of e-books on the tablet. All I have to do is remember to put it back on the charger while I sleep, grin. I showed my new toy to my local librarian whose known me for years. She kind of grimaced like the world had come to an end. If heavy duty reader that I am going to e-books she says it's the beginning of the end of the local library.

I didn't have the heart to tell her I have more e-books than the local branch library probably has physical ones and that I've actually been reading them on the computer for a long while now. Seemed kind of cruel to go there, laugh. But it was bound to happen. With all the budget cuts they just can't keep up with me anyhow. I'm mostly bored with what's on the shelves and even the inter-library loan thing isn't really keeping me busy enough anymore. I've practically given up watching TV and that. Books are my main entertainment anymore, shrug.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-04-2012 at 12:18 AM.
03-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had cell phones since 1992, but I'm not addicted. 20 years ago I traveled a lot for my business and my car was wired with external antenna, plug-in cradle with speakers and a discreet (and discrete) mic. My business changed and I no longer needed to be on the road. I still had a cell phone and upgraded to digital when the technology changed, but I stopped carrying it around and got to the point where I might not turn it on for a month.

Then my wife asked about getting a "smart phone" and I did some research. I changed our domain host and email provider and signed up with Office 365 (small business and professional). That saved $220 per year. I changed my $29 per month plan to a $19 per month plan that came with a free Samsung Omnia 7 Windows phone and which gives me a $70 per month phone and data (100MB) cap. Similar thing for my wife. So far the 100MB has been enough because I just use it for email and haven't done any browsing. If I feel the need, I might change the plan to increase the data allowance. I know someone, a client, who managed to go over their 5GB per month limit :-)

I now carry my phone with me whenever I leave the house. If I have to go on a trip for a few days, I don't have to worry about writing down appointments, etc. before I go. They are on the phone. It was extremely useful on my recent trip to England. I had three days to get a passport and be on the plane. No time to get myself organised. My usage in England wasn't on the plan and cost $70, but "big deal". It was worth it for the convenience.

It's very useful in the office. I run 4 PCs through a KVM switch. The phone lets me know I have mail if I'm not looking at the PC that i use for mail,

I like it, but I'm not addicted.

Richard.