Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cell Phone Addiction?

For a brief respite from Politics:

I have to say that this article (Link below) really caught my attention because it is something that I conciously notice every day.

The drug-like addiction of the cell phone.

People shopping with the cell phone active, walking with the cell phone plugged into their ear and sharing their conversation with whoever wishes to listen. In restaurants and even if and when it is illegal, using it whilst driving their car.

If they are not talking into it then they are "diddling" with it.

What is driving this addiction?

Do you recognize it as an addiction?

Yes, I am being light-hearted about the question but I am also genuinely interested

One-Third Of Americans Like Their Cell Phones More Than Sex | YourTango

08-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I see this all the time: in Manhattan people are suddenly walking slower, much slower, due to texting whilst walking. And making sudden stops. I see parents unable to pull themselves away from whatever business/personal call they are on to attend to the bawling kid in the stroller. And it used to be, when you saw someone talking to themselves you knew you were in the presence of someone disturbed...

Myself, I'm not addicted to cell phones. But pentax forums? guilty.
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Myself, I'm not addicted to cell phones. But pentax forums? guilty.
me too - although I love my cellphone too!
08-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I own / opperate a mobile service business so a cell phone is a nessescary evil to me.I can't honestly say I wouldn't have one if I didn't run a business but lets put it this way , I wouldn't worry about using too many minutes.
Texting is causing people to loose personal communication skills and takes them away from responibillities.
Yes I believe there is pyschological addiction issue but I sure don't have it.

08-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a great topic. One that hits home for me as I am one of those people is is always diddling with it (Droid Pro). I RARELY make a phone call on it.

Since this isn't political I'm moving to General Talk where it will hopefully get even more attention.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm

Guilty......
08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Don't have one, not getting one. I pop my flash at drivers on the phone. Don't like listening to one-sided conversations. Don't like interpreting online orders made by people who type with their thumbs.

08-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Don't have one, not getting one. I pop my flash at drivers on the phone. Don't like listening to one-sided conversations. Don't like interpreting online orders made by people who type with their thumbs.
I would be inclined to turn on my offroad lights on you along with the high beams. Actually, I am being sarcastic, but that is a dangerous stunt, especially with hot shoe flashes. sarcasm
08-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am immune, for two reasons.

1) Cells don't work where I live. If my old analog cell received a call, I had to climb to the top of my hill to return it. My new digital is totally unreceptive here. At my other home in a steep-canyon mining town, cell service is variable every few feet.

2) There's nobody much I want to talk to. If I need to send a message, I email them, whether at a home or on the road somewhere in the Americas. But mostly anybody would only call me with bad news, so feh.

Yeah, I have a TracFone, got it a year ago with 240 minutes. I'm down to about 180 minutes now, about 1/3 of those used trying to connect to eBay while waiting for oil changes. Never did get through... Those folks with wireless earpieces, constantly connected? Those earpieces are modern slave chokers -- they show that the wearer is pwnd. Pity...
08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a basic cell phone that I have yet to text on even though it has the capacity. I use it to make a call about once a week maybe. It's for emergencies, being on the road, mainly. I'm not a person who chats on the phone much actually. I like email, boards like this, very occasionally I will use an instant messenger to talk to my friends out on the west coast or my BFF here, if I am online anyway, but I don't do it every day.

My brothers came over 1000 miles to see my folks recently and they spent most of their time on the phoned texting or calling people. By the end of the day we all wanted to kill them, but they couldn't seemingly put the darned things down. My BMF, same deal, you can't have dinner with the guy anymore and have his full attention even for an hour.

I think cell phones have their uses but I won't be owned by one, and I'm at the point where is someone I know is doing too much of it while I am trying to socialize with them I just excuse myself, say goodbye, and leave. I'll ask them politely to stop first, but if they don't I go. I've got far better things to do than sit around and watch people text or talk to other people who aren't even in the room.

I think it's highly rude to be talking to someone and texting non-stop. I turn my phone off while I am with a friend, period. Ditto in libraries, movies, anywhere where a ringing phone would be an annoyance to other people. I don't drive and use my phone. Or try to walk and use my phone. Too many people get into accidents that way, and I don't mean to be one of them.
08-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I once walked into a wall texting into a phone. Major embarrassment.

On the plus side, once I answered a call whilst doing a long climb on my bicycle. I kept on climbing whilst talking, and the conversation distracted me enough that by the time the call finished, I have finished the climb - at a fairly good pace and I wasn't even tired.
08-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I once walked into a wall texting into a phone. Major embarrassment.

On the plus side, once I answered a call whilst doing a long climb on my bicycle. I kept on climbing whilst talking, and the conversation distracted me enough that by the time the call finished, I have finished the climb - at a fairly good pace and I wasn't even tired.
Yes, I remember (vaguely) a recent incident where a girl walked into a mall pool whilst texting and then sued the mall!
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
People no longer smoke, yet still need something to do with their hands.

Chris
Yes Chris - but texting?

16 hrs of almost non stop communicating with everybody - 7 days a week?

Isn't it nice to be out enjoying the walk without this addiction or urge that you must communicate - at least sometimes?

How much money a year are you giving to the Phone Company - and then the annual upgrade of your cell?

PS: You're correct, in my opinion, to compare it with the need to smoke!
08-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Yes, I remember (vaguely) a recent incident where a girl walked into a mall pool whilst texting and then sued the mall!
OBVIOUSLY, it was the mall's fault! Clearly a dangerous location to put a pool, in front of unsuspecting citizens doing IMPORTANT business.

Like, gag me with a spoon!
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
OBVIOUSLY, it was the mall's fault! Clearly a dangerous location to put a pool, in front of unsuspecting citizens doing IMPORTANT business.

Like, gag me with a spoon!
Here is the link, for your amusement - article does not cover the suing of the mall (I don't think)

Girl falls into mall fountain while texting: Why you should never walk and text | Mail Online