Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ebay woes, spleen venting

Just sold a Kiron/Vivitar 28 f2 lens on Ebay last Friday, for a paltry GBP 40 or USD 64. First contact with the buyer read: "Hi, just bought and paid for lens. I'd really appreciate if you would post today for arrival tomorrow. I know I should have contacted you before today to confirm this was possible but I could really do with this for a shoot over the weekend."

I thought, this is a bit odd, going for a "shoot" with an untested lens...and further thought its a tall ask given I was selling it on a Friday, and it was clearly listed as requiring a business day for delivery. So I said I'd do my best on Friday evening, and in response I got: "Please post tomorrow, for delivery on Monday.I bought this lens
because you offered special delivery." Which I thought was a bit terse.

Now, the dude has come back saying that its got dust in it and he wants to know what I am going to do, so I have written back that a) I am sorry, b) please follow ebay protocol, fill in a resolution centre claim, send it back with adequate insurance c) I will refund the original sum, plus the return journey postage.

Inside I am pretty irritated though. I know full well that this lens is fine, I've sold literally 50 lenses on Ebay previously. A 28mm f2 which is 30 years old is going to suffer from low contrast when wide open, but explaining MTF curves is hard enough with lens fanatics, let alone the average ebay punter. Just venting my spleen.

08-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow you acted very professionally and held all those inside voice comments. Not so sure I would offer the money back you are a better man than me

How many replies did you wirte , review and delete ? (: that is not dust it's fungus ..)
08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow you acted very professionally and held all those inside voice comments. Not so sure I would offer the money back you are a better man than me

How many replies did you wirte , review and delete ? (: that is not dust it's fungus ..)
Me too. There isn't any way in hell I would be paying return postage. Even the Paypal claim process says the BUYER is responsible for that.

08-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing. In a way, I bet the buyer had not expected this as a response, and I hope he asks himself whether he is a bit of a ****!

08-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing. In a way, I bet the buyer had not expected this as a response, and I hope he asks himself whether he is a bit of a ****!
They never do. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for him..

08-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if the Buyer was looking to keep the lens and receive a partial refund...
08-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
eBay has a ton of scammers these days.
I sold my K7 to someone and it didn't meet his 'expectations' and he made some crazy claims and wanted to return it to me.
Good thing eBay was on my side and realized that it was typical "buyer's remorse".
Uh - it's eBay - and I'm not a retailer.
It's funny that I haven't seen him sell my K7 in return on eBay, so he must be happy with it.

My guess is that he realized that the price he ultimately paid, was very close to a K7 that was new and he wanted out of the transaction so he made some claims about the camera, but I described it accurately and simply, without embellishment - basically I said "It's a K7, if you know what it is, you know what it is".

eBay took less than 20 minutes to correct the guy's PayPal hold on the funds and told me to not worry about it.

eBay is full of weenies.
08-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thing, eBay is NOT Amazon. Most people are selling used stuff if they are not retailers. When I look on eBay for purchases, I do a TON of research and only bid what I will ultimately pay for something. I know I am taking a risk and I have gotten things that were not as described. Too many people think eBay is like Amazon and is an electronic storefront with returns and exchanges. It's an auction site primarily and a buyer should be aware.

08-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Used lenses invariably have some internal dust in them, something I am at pains to mention in all my Ebay listings. Sometimes the dust is so minute that one could consider not mentioning it, but when listing an item I'd prefer to be a bit overkill in describing faults. It saves a lot of bother if the buyer complains. Pre listing examination includes close scrutiny using a magnifying glass.
I've yet to get a complaint, but if I do, well, when the lens gets back to me in the condition I shipped it then I'll happily refund the monies piad, return shipping at their expense.
I also keep product pics till I get closure on the transaction, just in case the buyer tries a switch, naturally that includes a picture of the serial number.
08-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
One other thing, eBay is NOT Amazon. Most people are selling used stuff if they are not retailers. When I look on eBay for purchases, I do a TON of research and only bid what I will ultimately pay for something. I know I am taking a risk and I have gotten things that were not as described. Too many people think eBay is like Amazon and is an electronic storefront with returns and exchanges. It's an auction site primarily and a buyer should be aware.
Unfortunately for us small-fries, Ebay is really trying to create an Amazon-type situation.
08-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Used lenses invariably have some internal dust in them, something I am at pains to mention in all my Ebay listings. Sometimes the dust is so minute that one could consider not mentioning it, but when listing an item I'd prefer to be a bit overkill in describing faults. It saves a lot of bother if the buyer complains. Pre listing examination includes close scrutiny using a magnifying glass.
I've yet to get a complaint, but if I do, well, when the lens gets back to me in the condition I shipped it then I'll happily refund the monies piad, return shipping at their expense.
I also keep product pics till I get closure on the transaction, just in case the buyer tries a switch, naturally that includes a picture of the serial number.
Not only to I keep picks, but I photograph the packaging, and on a few occasions I've made a video of me packaging the item.
08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Having to return an item, from a buyer's point of view, I appreciate sellers like you HooJammy. I bought a voigtlander recently for a cheap price(considering it's a voigtlander, but not cheap otherwise). I couldn't find much info on it and the seller said 14 day satisfaction guarantee. Turns out the lens was really terrible. It was soft up to 5.6 and had really poor contrast. The kit lens produced far superior results. I'm shipping back this lens today, and I feel bad for the seller, but I do appreciate his policy and I would happily purchase from him again.
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The guy has come back telling me he has bought two of the same, and that neither are what he expected. There is no knowing the expectations of a buyer. No doubt I end up selling my stuff for more by offering a returns policy, but it won't cover the cost of postage if buyers are going to do this to me. He has also come back saying he wants some time to think about it!

Anyone know at what time frame I can reject a request for a return? I think its two weeks for a normal sale in the UK, but in this case, as its an auction, and as I have offered a return, it might be different. I had never thought I would encounter a situation where a buyer is unsure whether they want to return an item...either you do or you don't, right? So I haven't put a drop dead date in the returns terms.
08-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
The guy has come back telling me he has bought two of the same, and that neither are what he expected. There is no knowing the expectations of a buyer. No doubt I end up selling my stuff for more by offering a returns policy, but it won't cover the cost of postage if buyers are going to do this to me. He has also come back saying he wants some time to think about it!

Anyone know at what time frame I can reject a request for a return? I think its two weeks for a normal sale in the UK, but in this case, as its an auction, and as I have offered a return, it might be different. I had never thought I would encounter a situation where a buyer is unsure whether they want to return an item...either you do or you don't, right? So I haven't put a drop dead date in the returns terms.
I am sorry he's taking advantage of your generous policy. I get so many "second chance" offers because buyers flake. It makes it hard to trust doing business on eBay. They really need to make things equitable for both buyer and seller. It would seem to me you should be able to forward his messages to eBay; they should side with you the way he's acting.
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't sell stuff very often on eBay but when I do I simply put "AS IS no return accepted". Period. I might get less bid and lower price but it will save me all the troubles with the return.