Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ever Get In a Slump?

I have seen threads in the past a few times relating to shooting slumps, but don't recall too much information on them.
Do you ever feel like you are in a slump, and if so, what do you think got you there, and what is your best method of remedy? Do you feel the slump is strictly photographically related or are there outside circumstances that drift into your shooting that bring on the slump?

I guess what I am asking is for a diagnosis of a slump and all the particulars related. Whatever you might want to contribute will be appreciated, there is no "right or wrong" of a slump as far as I know......just a certain amount of misery to be in one. If you have been...or are in a slump...I'm listening!

Best Regards!

08-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I get into a slump with a lot of things, not just photography. I do crafts a lot, read, write, have several other things I am into besides my photography. That does tend to help. If I get stuck I just switch gears, do something else for a while. Usually that breaks the block and I can pick back up on the original thing.
08-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I know the feeling. I used to go through such phases when I used to run out of interesting subject to shoot... But then I got into macrophotography. Interesting subjects are EVERYWHERE and always close by.

Combining hobbies is also very effective. I keep a big tropical reef tank. Taking pictures of the corals and critters in it is a big challange. Especially the aquarium lighting doesn't seem to work well with DSLR-sensors. Another example: my neighbour is into model kit construction. He keeps all kinds of WW2 vehicles and creates whole battlefields. I really enjoy taking pictures of those models. All blurry, in greyscale, so it seems like it's the real thing. And he appreciates the pictures too.
08-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There was a recent long thread about what to do when you run out of inspiration. Many many suggestions. My slumps happen when I stay home; the cure is to go somewhere, anywhere. I've already photographed my other obsessions. Let's see, what fresh obsessions could I afford?

08-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the thread is here: "Nothing to photograph", lack of inspiration. - PentaxForums.com
08-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't forget about LBA. Having LBA guarantees you'll keep busy with photography. All the lenses have to be tested and compared. And if the lenses are AF, they all have to be calibrated too of course. And the occasional lens-pr0n is also required.
08-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think there is some great suggestions/advice and background in the previous threads like RioRico mentioned.

The most recent one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/152508-nothing-photog...spiration.html

Some others:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/122636-what-do-you-do...ninspired.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/57554-cant-find-inspiration-subjects.html

08-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't think we hit slumps...I think they're more of a plateau. The trick is to keep moving forward. There may be a period where everything seems similar, but eventually there will be a break-through.
08-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see others do get in slumps, I guess we all do at some point. Some new gear or a new lens or body usually reignites my interest. I'm still pretty excited about my K5, but I am thinking my problem may be external.......like I need a short vacation with new surroundings and new scenery. I can't say that I have any other real problems in my life that account for this lack of inspiration, maybe just a boredom of the "same old, same old" every day. The past three months of a record heatwave have probably not been any help either.....just a few more weeks and it will start to cool off a little.
Best Regards!
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah, well, I haven't been shooting too much of late mostly cause I'm preoccupied, but it happens: I find that a couple things that help are to carry less stuff, even just a single lens, and for me, just getting on the shutter can help: I find very often that the sound of a winder especially will bypass blocks, cause it's associated with all kinds of other times when I was rolling. If I'm having a blockage, it usually occurs in the interval between seeing and raising the camera: I think the act of actually shooting kind of goes back and wakes up the eye,

Kind of like it goes from, 'Is anything out here worth shooting' and all the other thoughts in the way to, 'I'm shooting, time to be seeing. '
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ratlady...I think I follow that. You can't get out of a shooting slump without doing some shooting. In the past, if I can get a really decent shot it spurs new excitement.....unfortunately, those really good shots do not come often enough!
Regards!
08-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

How to get out of a slump: FORCE YOURSELF TO SHOOT! For every day that you DON'T click the shutter at least 20 times, you must sell a lens. Or, no beer that day. Get off your butt and shoot!
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I have taken perhaps 50-60 pictures this year. I think that qualifies as a slump.
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was in a Slump this winter , spring and begining of summer. Came back from a great holiday in Costa Rica , where I took a couple thoudands shots. Arrived home to 7 feet of snow and cold , wet and drab spring, wet summer - I don't think I took 10 picutres over 4 months.

What got me out this time was buying the K5 (I actually went out to a National park two weekends in a row with my K20D and got back some of the passion and then bought the K5 ) But I have been in slumps before and gotten out of them without buying new equipment or spending money (like going for a photoshot for a few days or a vacation). I think it happens to most of us and the other threads already mentioned have some good ideas.

A slump for me is no will or desire to go out to take pictures for the sake of shooting. If I don't want to do that or making plans to do that (be it daily or at least weekly) and that continues for more than a couple of weeks , I call that a slump.
08-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't taken a picture in over a month. I haven't done much of anything in over a month. Mostly because of problems with my feet and ankles.