Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Continental shelf is relatively close, only about 100 miles off San Francisco shore, closer north and south. Big ocean-crossing swells crash into that to kick up quite a sea, 20 foot (or bigger) waves not uncommon. When those reach the shallow 'potato patch' shoals between Golden Gate and Farallones it gets very choppy with outgoing tide. Tide
currents are strong. The bottom is unstable.

Question: would Engineer bid that low for the job? I don't think so...
To get to international waters, they would only need to go out 12 miles although they would still be within the US exclusive economic zone which means they would be restricted with what kind of commercial activity could take place on or around their.

As far as the waves go, that is nothing.

This is a platform off the coast of Newfoundland in shallow water which is designed to withstand waves, icebergs, and hurricanes.

This is one in the gulf of mexico in 1300 feet of water. This is a more typical and affordable design.

But with both you can see how the platform's surface is way above the water surface so any waves don't reach the top side.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why not buy a large cruise liner instead and simply drop anchor in any place they please (as long as it is in neutral waters).
The benefits of a permanent structure is that it is much more stable making it hospitable for land lovers. There also isn't the risk of sinking, and presuming that the thing won't be a tinderbox of hydrocarbon production, fire protection and suppression might be improved over a regular ship.

Whatever they do, they will need a large crew of at least 100-200 workers just to maintain something out their. For some reason, I don't see .com billionaires welding, painting, and swabbing the poopdeck to keep a boat or platform going.

08-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
For some reason, I don't see .com billionaires welding, painting, and swabbing the poopdeck to keep a boat or platform going.
That's where incredibly low wages and no morals come into play.
You didn't think they were going to clean their own toilets did you?
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And just how are these folk going to defend themselves against pirates, etc? How can they summon enough organization to develop an army, which is the very antithesis of the libertarian ideal of "peaceful" anarchy? Would they attempt a defense treaty with the nearest big neighboring county?

I seem to recall a libertarian plan/plot to develop their ideal "country" in Vermont or New Hampshire, I forget which. What ever happened to that?
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And just how are these folk going to defend themselves against pirates, etc? How can they summon enough organization to develop an army, which is the very antithesis of the libertarian ideal of "peaceful" anarchy? Would they attempt a defense treaty with the nearest big neighboring county?

I seem to recall a libertarian plan/plot to develop their ideal "country" in Vermont or New Hampshire, I forget which. What ever happened to that?
If they get attacked I'm sure they wouldn't want us to intervene. I imagine this is all some kind of tax scheme if they go through with it at all.

08-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm motified!!!!!!
Would a libertarian corporation scheme to receive free tax payer dollars?
They're supposed to be all about self reliance and responsibility.

What?------Wait----------They steal from us all the time?

OK. never mind.