Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Banned

Bachmann wishes Elvis Presley a happy birthday on the anniversary of his death

QuoteQuote:
Michele Bachmann may open up many of her rallies by blasting Elvis Presley's "Promised Land" - but she doesn't know his birthday.

On Tuesday she began a rally in Spartanburg, South Carolina asking supporters to wish The King a happy birthday.

"Before we get started, let's all say 'Happy Birthday to Elvis Presley' today," she said, CNN.com reported. "We played you a little bit of Promise Land when we pulled up.

"You can't do better than Elvis Presley and we thought we would celebrate his birthday as we get started celebrating taking our country back to work."

Elvis's birthday is Jan. 8. The anniversary of his death is Tuesday, Aug. 16th.
D'Oh.
Michele Bachmann wishes Elvis Presley a happy birthday -- on the anniversary of his death

08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There was a real nice version of that song on a Grateful Dead & Allman Bros. jam. Somehow thanks to Bachmn it will never sound the same again.

Last edited by seacapt; 08-16-2011 at 07:11 PM.
08-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a complete and total NITWIT!!! but then again, that may be insulting to the average nitwit...

TRENDING: All shook up: Bachmann flubs Elvis birthday – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Why does she always look like someone just goosed her? LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-18-2011 at 05:02 AM.
08-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
"Before we get started, let's all say, 'Happy Birthday' to Elivs Presley today," Bachmann said. "We played you a little bit of 'Promise Land' when we pulled up. You can't do better than Elvis Presley, and we thought we would celebrate his birthday as we get started celebrating taking our country back to work."

08-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I guess they celebrate Jesus' birth on good friday in the Bachmann house.
08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Michele Bachmann confuses John Wayne Gacy with John Wayne

John Wayne has never lived in Waterloo, IA. John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer, has.

08-17-2011, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Hmm, which is worse, Michelle Bachmann's Elvis flub or then-aspiring NY Senator Hillary Clinton having Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" played during her Senatorial-run announcement?

Ah, politicians! Can't live with 'em, would love to live without 'em...
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hmm, which is worse, Michelle Bachmann's Elvis flub or then-aspiring NY Senator Hillary Clinton having Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" played during her Senatorial-run announcement?

Ah, politicians! Can't live with 'em, would love to live without 'em...
Worse ? Are you kidding me ?

Giuliani, who last year drew attention for condemning an elephant dung–covered image of the Virgin Mary at the Brooklyn Museum of Art, sternly recited lines from the song's chorus: "Captain Jack will get you high tonight/ And take you to your special island/ Captain Jack will get you by tonight/ Just a little push and you'll be smiling."

Clinton campaign spokesperson Howard Wolfson quickly fired a returning salvo. "Apparently the mayor has now turned his relentless negative attacks on Billy Joel," he said in a statement. "This is what candidates do when they have nothing positive to offer the voters."

Wolfson also said the campaign had nothing to do with the decision to play "Captain Jack," and that it "would not have chosen it."

Joel, who has repeatedly described "Captain Jack" (RealAudio excerpt) as an anti-drug song, weighed in on the issue Tuesday in a statement released through Columbia Records.

"There are a lot of important issues facing the voters in this Senate race," the 51-year-old singer, a native of Hicksville, N.Y., said. "Is a politician's interpretation of a song I wrote nearly 30 years ago an issue to the voters of New York state? I do not think so."
http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/621078/02082000/joel_billy.jhtml

08-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Worse ? Are you kidding me ?
Not kidding, at all.
08-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Politicians Eating Food | EgoTV

08-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Not kidding, at all.
You must be from South Jersey or are a conservative if you have a problem with that song.
08-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You must be from South Jersey or are a conservative if you have a problem with that song.
Neither. I'm a "Northerner" and wise enough not to define myself by political affiliation. "Captain Jack" is a fine song about shootin' up & loneliness & masturbation, a great choice by Hillary.

Singing "Happy Birthday" is more fun and upbeat.

Both "mis-steps" by Hillary & Michelle are really indicative of sloppiness by support staff. What's striking is that this seems to happen frequently with Michelle... maybe she's borrowed some of Rush Limbaugh's researchers!

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.
08-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
What a complete and total NITWIT!!! but then again, that may be insulting to the average nitwit...

TRENDING: All shook up: Bachmann flubs Elvis birthday – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
The pic you posted is showing that perhaps Newsweek wasn't so wrong, after all.
08-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Neither. I'm a "Northerner" and wise enough not to define myself by political affiliation. "Captain Jack" is a fine song about shootin' up & loneliness & masturbation, a great choice by Hillary.

Singing "Happy Birthday" is more fun and upbeat.

Both "mis-steps" by Hillary & Michelle are really indicative of sloppiness by support staff. What's striking is that this seems to happen frequently with Michelle... maybe she's borrowed some of Rush Limbaugh's researchers!
Wrong, Hillary had nothing to do with picking that song but Bachmann said she is a huge Elvis fan and any Elvis fan knows Elvis died on August 16, 1977 and his birthday is January 8. BTW I still don't have a problem with that song but conservatives do .

QuoteQuote:
Hillary Rodham Clinton (left) had nothing to do with the decision to play Billy Joel's "Captain Jack," a campaign spokesperson said.
http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/621078/02082000/joel_billy.jhtml

QuoteQuote:
They said the selection was an accident -- the intended song was "New York State of Mind" but someone mistakenly left Joel's "Greatest Hits" album on too long.
Candidates' Tunes Hit A Few Sour Notes

QuoteQuote:
MEMPHIS, TN - During a campaign stop in South Carolina on Tuesday, August 16, 2011, Michele Bachmann told a crowd of supporters, "before we get started let's all say happy birthday to Elvis Presley today. Happy Birthday." Only problem is, August 16 marks the anniversary of Elvis' death.

Eldorado Del Rey has been a tour guide for Sun Studios for 13 years. He leads thousands of people through the halls where Elvis recorded his first album and he says most people know the difference between The King's birthday and the day he died. When he heard Bachmann's comments, he couldn't contain his laughter. He said, "No, it's not a common mistake."

Bachmann says she's a huge Elvis fan. She even uses his music on the campaign trail.
Fans Of The King Set Presidential Hopeful Straight |Memphis News, Memphis Breaking News, Memphis Weather, Severe Weather Coverage, Local News, Local Weather, Germantown News, Cordova News, Bartlett News, Collierville News, Tennessee News, Arkansas Ne

Last edited by jogiba; 08-18-2011 at 05:26 AM.
08-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Read what I said again. I did not say that Hillary chose the song.

Also, I think "Captain Jack" is not the correct song for a campaign announcement, and I know plenty of Democrats who agree with this.

I didn't know Bachman was an Elvis fan... for shame!
Closed Thread