Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The World Is a More Violent Place Than It Used to Be." -- NOT!!!

Think Again: War - World peace could be closer than you think.

Very interesting and insightful article for those who believe the world is awash in war...

Mike

08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It just looks that way from our point of view.
Much of the rest of the world is attempting to try and get along, with varying success.
A lot of it is us, poking various hornets nests around the world.
For what purpose, has never been explained to me on an official level.

It's like the myth of the good old days.
Life was actually much harder around the turn of the 20th century.
08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is indeed a much needed corrective reminder. I hope this isn't the calm before a storm.
08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

First of all the UN has always been involved more in preventing conflicts or at least in assisting in not having them flair up rather than solving ones that got out of hand. It has its hands tied by the member countries especially the 5 that have vetos and now that they are no longer at each others throats there is less reason for any of them to set up road blocks to stopping conflicts.

Secondly with the number of news channels and the internet etc, I think we are all more aware of conflicts in the world, even if we do not know where the country is photos or video show it to be wars hence we think there are more of them in the pre CNN world.

Thirdly as the article referred to with China, mutual destruction is now in the form of economics rather than weapons. At least to a certain extent how many countries with any significant military could the US fight for example without harming its own economic interests? Probably not many.

Thanks Mike for the link