Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ALL ON PAPER: Journalism the pre-digital way, with film and typewriters

HOW TO BUILD A NEWSROOM TIME MACHINE -- journoterrorist

A university journalism class learns how to do the job manually. Much hilarity ensues. What's Dektol?

EDIT: Yes, I know what Dektol is, I've chuffed enough of it, wooooo...

Last edited by RioRico; 08-20-2011 at 09:53 AM.
08-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What's Dektol?
EDIT: Yes, I know what Dektol is, I've chuffed enough of it, wooooo...
Many, many years ago Modern Photography had a short blurb from one of their writers that advised Damitol.
He frequently used a shot of Damitol when the temperature was off or the timer
stopped, etc.
Also advised I think using it when the shooting situations were not exactly perfect
- just use Damitol and continue shooting!
08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh. There's no 'papers of record' without analog. They just edit it all later.

I can't get my writings from 1990, (I was once considered a promising fiction-writer, before that whole homelessness thing) ... even if I hadn['t finally lost the box it was written on, not so sure about my Win98 machine, ...all the zip disks are cooked, anyway, as well as the CDs.... getting there... Negatives, and even newspapers, can last a few lifetimes, even in an attic wall.
08-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
Many, many years ago Modern Photography had a short blurb from one of their writers that advised Damitol.
The updated formulation is called Fokitol. I use it constanty.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I can't get my writings from 1990, (I was once considered a promising fiction-writer, before that whole homelessness thing) ... even if I hadn['t finally lost the box it was written on, not so sure about my Win98 machine, ...all the zip disks are cooked, anyway, as well as the CDs.... getting there... Negatives, and even newspapers, can last a few lifetimes, even in an attic wall.
I started putting writings (for humans and computers) on 91k single-sided single-hard-sector 5.25" floppies (the kind with lotsa little holes around the center); then migrated those texts and sources (over time) to higher-capacity floppies, both 5.25" and 12"; then 3.5" stiffies, and Zip discs (but no Jaz), and CDs and a few DVDs, both W/O and R/W; and I still have all those (except the 12-inchers and the hard-sectors), and drives for them, although I'll admit to not hooking up a 5.25" floppy drive since around 1999. Actually I have just ONE MORE 5" floppy that needs migration. Sure, one of these days, if I ever fire-up the AdLib Composer again...

Now all those reside in an archive section that occupies some minuscule corner of a hard disc. Will I ever need to access them in my lifetime? Ha. I've done without them so far; a little longer (like a couple more generations) won't hurt.

08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Might enjoy reading this Rico,from a local treasure that writes for post-dispatch.
Relates to scribes "chuggin" damitol and modern consequenses.

First earned legit W2 was from 5 gallon bottles/bladders of dektol.

Pols having fun under the radar
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last week I talked to my brother, who told me that all of the copy editing for Tribune Media newspapers is now being done in Chicago.
08-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pretty cool story. This coming from someone that got their start in the advertising business learning how to use a waxer and do paste-up and build and color-break mechanicals. Were the 80s that long ago? I guess they were!