Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Mr. Pres. /Madame Secretary

I would like to see you spend as much effort on taking care of these Americans as you do backing Libyan rebels or calling for a new government in Syria.
Iran sentences American hikers Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal to eight years in prison - Telegraph

08-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could always organize a prison break.
08-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
I would like to see you spend as much effort on taking care of these Americans as you do backing Libyan rebels or calling for a new government in Syria.
I completely agree. I know that we don't have "official" diplomatic relations with Iran, but I'm sure the USA does have relations thru proxy with Iran.

I guess first we have to let the appeals process run it's course. I'd wager we won't get any satisfaction out of that, though, in which case the US has to do something... we can't abandon our citizens, can we?
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter

A bit quick to knee jerk?
It's entirely possible that things are going on behind the scene.
Not everything gets plastered all over the "press".

08-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
The only "knee jerk" comment I've read here so far is this:
You could always organize a prison break.
seacapt has only expressed his hope for vigorous action on behalf of the 2 hikers, and I've already mentioned "behind the scene" activity.
08-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Banned

Get a clue

QuoteQuote:
Posted 07/30/2007 :
Iran takes hostages because stealing people has proven to be a politically powerful weapon. Expect the mullahs to take more hostages as tensions between our countries grow.

Tehran has enjoyed considerable success abducting Westerners because it gets what it wants and seldom pays a penalty. Iran has seized hostages in order to obtain arms and the release of prisoners. It also kidnaps for political manipulation or to divert attention from pressing matters like nuclear weapons development.
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Abduction%20The%20Mullahs%20Strategic%20Weapon.html

Americans are warned by the U.S. State Department not to visit any nation threatening America unless absolutely necessary. They are now poster boys to why you don't go for a hike in Iran.
08-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter

What do you mean by vigorous?
These things are the most delicate diplomatic relations there are.
The press would only muck things up. Isn't that what you think and say anyway?
Sometimes, it's true.
I didn't think I had to mention what jogoba pointed out. Casual hiking in self declared ENEMY territory, isn't too wise for any reason.
Even if the State Department hadn't warned against it.
For all we know, they were somehow connected to the CIA .
Still, I would like to see them home too, whatever they were there for.. Don't think I don't.

08-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

How else could they have gotten a visa to trek about in Iraq near the Iranian border? It makes no sense! Why would they do such a stupid thing?

Here are the requirements for a visa to iraq: http://www.myvisapassport.com/Visa-Iraq.htm where do they fit?

Last edited by newarts; 08-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.
08-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A bit quick? They were thrown in prison 2years ago!
To refresh your memory
http://bgpappa.********.com/hub/Detained-In-Iran-American-Tourists

oops that link hit one of Adam's filters so try this
http://freethehikers.org/

Last edited by seacapt; 08-20-2011 at 06:03 PM.
08-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote

How else could they have gotten a visa to trek about in Iraq near the Iranian border? It makes no sense! Why would they do such a stupid thing?

Here are the requirements for a visa to iraq: Iraq Tourist Visa Requirements - Iraq Business Visa Requirement where do they fit?
Shane Bauer was a freelance journalist/ photographer
08-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Shane Bauer was a freelance journalist/ photographer
Hmmm.. maybe that justifies his visa - but they were seriously pushing a rational envelope don't you think?
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, they were trespassing on a country that is both your country's sworn enemy, and a country that has every reason to believe that any American found slithering about their border will be spying.
The American media has proven time and again that it is willing to be co-opted by the American government, so why would a "freelance journalist/ photographer" be above suspicion of being a spy?
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The only "knee jerk" comment I've read here so far is this:

seacapt has only expressed his hope for vigorous action on behalf of the 2 hikers, and I've already mentioned "behind the scene" activity.

But he was making a comparison that is out of proportion. Do we really expect the government to exert the same sort of effort over what happens to entire countries as for a journalist who knowingly engages in risky behavior? I am all for there being diplomatic efforts to release these two, but comparing that to the efforts concerning succession of power in two key countries is out of balance. If "vigorous action" means overt military action against Iran, then I'd say that is way off base.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-21-2011 at 12:07 PM.
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unfortunately, they were trespassing on a country that is both your country's sworn enemy, and a country that has every reason to believe that any American found slithering about their border will be spying.
It is also a country known for treating independent journalism about as generously as it treats spying, and this is known to most anyone who goes there.
08-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter

It's not like they are alone.
Just another knee jerk comment prompted by right wing talkers, who ignore reality, in rush to bash Obama.
Things are going on behind the scenes.
Too bad those talkers ignore the rest of the journalists in jeopardy.

Press Freedom Online - Committee to Protect Journalists