Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you manage to buy an HP Touchpad this weekend?

HP Touchpads have been selling for $99 (16gb) and $149 (32gb) all weekend. Did anyone here manage to get one? I spent my entire weekend following the slickdeals thread here:

1000+ page Slickdeals thread on the HP Touchpad fire sale

Despite HP abandoning WebOS, I'd say the existing functionality and apps still make it quite the bargain. Especially compared against the cheapest Kindle at $114. Not *going there* with the iPad 2, since the Touchpad is no longer (or was any) competition.

Last edited by einstrigger; 08-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.
08-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm mighty mighty tempted, but 1) nobody up here in Amador County has any and I couldn't get down to the Sac or Reno areas to grab one, 2) I'm concerned that with no new apps coming, it might be less-than-useful in about 6 months, and 3) I don't have an extra US$100 at the moment. Oh bother...
08-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, though it hasn't shipped yet. Could only get a 32GB to go through to the checkout online.

I was dead-set on it replacing my aging laptop with a tab since I rarely do anything intensive on it...plus I have a smartphone and a desktop anyway. And yeah, it's too cheap to pass up. No way I'd spend $400+ on a tab then $70 on a Bluetooth keyboard and another $70 on a charging cradle then another $30 on a BT mouse...hey, I've just bought a less-capable, less-portable laptop with exponentially less storage!

This morning, I don't know...thinking about just turning it around (for a $100 profit), selling my laptop, and picking up a newer used Dell XPS. It's like, you want to torrent something...fire up the laptop or desktop, download it, then you still have to transfer it to the tab. Streaming would be fantastic on a tablet, though. I'd love to have Pandora/iHeart/TuneIn going on bigger speakers than my phone, but not lug around a 6lb laptop for working out in the garage or driveway.

I wish there was a ~$300, 120GB, Windows7 or 8 "Lite," 10" WiFi and SIM card tab on the market that would run Firefox and Thunderbird...I'd love one with a slide-out keyboard and tilting screen and would accept a slightly thicker package for that addition.

With around 500k sold (don't quote me on that) with potentially up to 1 million units available once it's all said and done (HP getting their unsold units back, accessing the backstock in their warehouse), I don't see the dev community ditching WebOS just right now
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
RioRico, I'm in Sacramento and I doubt you would have faired any better here. They sold out pretty quickly and the only other options were to buy online. At the bare minimum, even with no new apps in the horizon, the Touchpad tablet would still make for a nice e-reader/browser/photogallery/video player. And with the thousands sold over the weekend, I think we could see some 3rd party developers building a fledgling community around the platform with their own apps (i.e. Cyanogen Mods). Who knows? I attempted to buy 2 from HP directly, but whether or not they ship is a different story.

Last edited by einstrigger; 08-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I managed to pick one up in person.

I'm a big webOS fan and was somewhat planning on getting a tab if the deals got good enough around xmas/post xmas time.

I was also concerned that all the devs would jump ship immediately ... but to be honest, this catastrophe is almost somewhat genius because all of the touchpads are suddenly in the hands of users instead of growing old and lonely in a warehouse. The result is the webOS userbase has suddenly made a huge jump in size.

Apps: I am a cheap bastard. But even I am on the verge of prying open my tightly closed wallet to purchase a decent RSS feed reader. I love my RSS feeds and the google webpage for feeds on the touchpad is not very usable.

I'd love to figure out how to get something like pk_tether working on the touchpad. I had downloaded and started to play with developing for webOS but I'm not sure if I have enough time or the skillz to hack away at something like that.

- Sam
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Here's one on ebay I found that's pretty cheap!!

I would buy it but I already got one

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

I managed to order a 32GB off the HP site last friday night (they were out of the 16gb) and use a 30off coupon. It's on the delivery truck as I'm writing this.

08-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There will be an Android build out for it soon enough, but I am pinching pennies. SO and I have been working on a 'budget'.
08-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I tried but couldn't get one. I already have the xoom but at that $$ I could always use a back up AKA a new toy.
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This TouchPad stuff got me all hot-n-frothy so today whilst waiting for my other to poke through a discount store I found and purchased a Sharper Image LITERATI reader for all of US$44. It's charging up right now. Reviews say it sucks, so I'll give it a few days and see if it heads immediately to the RETURN queue. But hay, it was cheap!