QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Photo of devastation from the East Coast earthquake
Photo of devastation from the East Coast earthquake | Grist
Oh my! That's terrible!

08-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Wow, MR. That's bigger than I've ever been in, surely. (I was in a rare one back home, I think it was about a 5.0 at most, though. Don't really recall.)

Don't think I felt it down here, though maybe there was something (I tend to dismiss a lot of minor thuds and shakes: I think the bedrock must be pretty close here, , so it's pretty common to hear/feel it whenever someone so much as drops a dumpster in the neighborhood. I sort of don't pay it much heed.)
The maps I've seen show it being felt as far SW as Chattanooga, so if the tremor made it to Atlanta it was almost imperceptable.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Cell service is still out here, felt it pretty hard, apparently the "tremor wave" ripped through pretty good where we are. We were in Kmart picking up last minute school supplies, part of the ceiling was come down in the store and the electronics section lost all lcd's on the wall - wrecked the store pretty bad...---
Sounds pretty bad Joe... Hope y'all are OK. That's probably the worst I've heard so far, other than the tip of 3 of the finials of the Washington National Cathedral coming down.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Oh my! That's terrible!
My damage was twice as bad... but I didn't take any photos. Its was just too emotionally damaging. ;(

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
08-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
Did the Earthquake Tilt the Washington Monument?

QuoteQuote:
Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly reported at 2:30 pm that their bureau received information from a producer saying that a Capitol Hill Police officer says that the Washington Monument may actually be tilting as a result of the earthquake.

Seismologist John Rundle joined Kelly on her show and confirmed that the Washington Monument could very well be tilting as a result of the earthquake and the structure should be checked out
Did the Earthquake Tilt the Washington Monument?
08-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
The maps I've seen show it being felt as far SW as Chattanooga, so if the tremor made it to Atlanta it was almost imperceptable.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone really noticed..... Oh, wait, I guess the radio says there were reports from Georgia, now. Maybe I did hear it. This house in particular seems to really pick up and echo that sort of thing, but like i said, it seems to pick up near anything, so I didn't think much of it. East Coast quakes do seem to carry a long way, though, when they happen, but we're pretty far.

Hee, though, that's funny, Causey. The radio news has just come on, and I guess there was some not-negligible damage, though, looks like nothing very serious.

They said you guys might feel some significant aftershocks: the geologist sounded kind of like he was expecting them.

08-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Back down to 5.8...
08-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

yeah, a pretty decent shaker for the folks back east... Glad there wasn't any major damage. Expect some aftershocks even from a moderate one like this...

They evacuated our HQ building in Reston VA, and it sure bottlenecked our network traffic (esp at the internet gateway in Reston!) for folks wanting EQ data...

Jim
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #22
Banned

Original Poster

08-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Oof, looks like there was some damage after all.... I stayed/briefly lived right about where they said the epicenter was, though, some years ago.
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Did The Earthquake Tilt the Washington Monument?

As usual Fox News needs some perspective correction!

Chris
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oof, looks like there was some damage after all.... I stayed/briefly lived right about where they said the epicenter was, though, some years ago.
Yeah... seems like most of the damage has been to rigid masonary structures so far. This could perhaps be due to the nature of the quake, which seemed (to me anyway) to be a growing rumble then 3 sharp thumps followed by a sharp sideways jerk.

The real fun is going on right now. Just like Snowmageddon back in Fedruary, the gridlock is severe since many people either left work on their own or were sent home by their employers or the government. Not helping is the fact that (totally sensibly) the subway and commuter trains are running at much lower speeds than normal (watching for track damage).

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.
08-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
Felt it up hear in Toronto, Canada.
I was out and about all day, i didn't feel anything but my aunt in Richmondhill called to ask if we had felt the tremors she felt?
08-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

We were up in Baltimore and felt it up there. First time I can ever recall feeling an earthquake.

I will admit that once I knew everyone was ok, my next thought was "I hope no lenses fell off the shelf"
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm just glad nobody was seriously hurt it seems. But that is just weird, even NYC shook a bit. I hope that's it though and this one isn't the first of a few. The buildings up there, most of them are not made to be EQ safe. They're lucky it was only 5.8, a bigger one could have been really bad...
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was driving the beltway and was totally unaware.
08-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I live about 15 miles from the epicenter. We just had a 4.2 aftershock a few minutes ago.

Was at work in Charlottesville when it happened. Stuff was falling off the shelves. Weirdest feeling ever. Just hoping North Anna is really OK.