Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
With just a little help along the way from Xerox PARC
(Without which - none of the quintessential things that make "Apple" well - "Apple" - would exist Oh how history is forgotten so fast.....)
And the Alto would never have existed if Doug Engelbart hadn't given the "Mother of all Demos".

We'd all still be batch processing programs written on punch cards.

08-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I am of the opinion that they (Jobs, Gates) made each other better (i.e.: more driven) and if it were not them it would have been someone else - you just can't stop progress. I agree without IBM's colossal underestimate of licensing of a 'niche' product we may have never heard of Mr. Gates however we would have heard of someone.

08-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing about the Apple-Microsoft deal in 1997 that "saved" Apple was the 5 year commitment to continue developing Office for the Mac. In fact, Office98 for the Mac was a better product than Office97 for the PC. Office 2001 was nice, the first OS X version v. X kind of sucked. Office 2004 was ok but when Apple switched to Intel it had to run in Rosetta. It took MS almost 2 years to put out an Intel native version and it sucked, but at least it didn't have the ribbon interface. Office 2011 brought the ribbon interface to Mac.

The monetary commitment was minimal, what's $150 million when you have $5 billion in cash? There was also a patent sharing agreement. You will notice that Apple & Microsoft haven't sued each other since then either.
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

jogiba - proceless video I forgot how geeky Bill Gates looked back then. But this is about Mr. Jobs and as I stated originally I only wish the best for him in his time left on this little blue planet thrid from the sun.

08-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to see him release the reigns officially; but we all know he's been loosening them for quite some time now.

I posted a related thread btw, if with tongue firmly lodged in cheek: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/156643-open-apology-apple-faithful.html

Last edited by m8o; 08-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Jobs has just resigned as CEO of Apple, but will stay on the board. Poor guy, I hope this doesn't mean he's losing his cancer battle. He's had such a rough time of it.

Well he's remaining as chairman but i do think he doesn't have long, he looked really terrible at the last public showing.
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They posted pics of someone holding him up on TMZ today. He is skeletal. I'm talking concentration camp thin. He looks just awful. That poor man is dying. You can't see those pics and doubt it.

08-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I'd feel more sympathy for the man had he actually taken some, y'know, actual, scientific medical treatment instead of the twigs and berries he was using.
08-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'd feel more sympathy for the man had he actually taken some, y'know, actual, scientific medical treatment instead of the twigs and berries he was using.
I'd call pancreatic cancer surgery and radiation pretty "scientific" myself. He went through all that, first time. Maybe second too, who knows? Only his Doctors can tell you for sure. He didn't just eschew medical treatment though. He did the alternative stuff too. That's very typical of where he lives actually. West Coast people, a lot of them are holistic in approach to illness.

Oh, and btw, leaves and twigs are where some of our most well known miracle drugs come from. Aspirin is made from willow bark. Digitalis came from a
plant. There are millions of people on this planet who have actually been cured by folk medicine and herbalism. Don't knock it till you try it.

It may be actually that his traditional doctors gave up on him when he had his cancer come back again. They tend to do that if they think it's going to be fatal, and his type of cancer usually is, unfortunately. Gut cancer took my grandmother in 5 months. Jobs has survived a lot longer actually, which is unusual. He must have one heck of a will to live, that guy...

Last edited by magkelly; 08-27-2011 at 04:04 AM.
08-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty sad. He's had a rough road -- pancreatic cancer, liver transplant, etc. I agree that he doesn't have long to live. I still think fondly of my first computer -- an Apple II+ with 48KB of memory and a 5 1/2 inch floppy drive. My how things change...

I think his biggest legacy really has to do with his ability to look forward. You look at a company like Palm and realize that what most companies do is release something and then ride that horse till it dies. Apple hasn't done that and most of the other tech companies out there have been chasing them as a result.
08-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd call pancreatic cancer surgery and radiation pretty "scientific" myself. He went through all that, first time. Maybe second too, who knows? Only his Doctors can tell you for sure. He didn't just eschew medical treatment though. He did the alternative stuff too. That's very typical of where he lives actually. West Coast people, a lot of them are holistic in approach to illness.
"You know what they call 'alternative medicine' that works? 'Medicine.'" - Tim Minchin. But, you know, as long as his treatments are relevant to his longitude and latitude, because that's how medicine works. Wait, which West Coast? All the hippies here are on the east. Well, except John Butler.

QuoteQuote:
Oh, and btw, leaves and twigs are where some of our most well known miracle drugs come from. Aspirin is made from willow bark. Digitalis came from a
plant. There are millions of people on this planet who have actually been cured by folk medicine and herbalism. Don't knock it till you try it.
Wow, really? Wait, and we're still using only because a bunch of hippies, between bong hits, keep telling us "It's cool, man, this willow bark works," and not due to rigorous scientific study, right?

You do realise I'm the guy who keeps calling our own Digitalis "Foxglove," much to his annoyance?

QuoteQuote:
It may be actually that his traditional doctors gave up on him when he had his cancer come back again.
Wait, which tradition? The throwing-chicken-bones shaman tradition or the studying-it-scientifically tradition?

QuoteQuote:
Jobs has survived a lot longer actually, which is unusual. He must have one heck of a will to live, that guy...
Of course, silly me. He's survived because he's an ubermensch, not because of any doctors. Or hippies.

I mean, this is the guy who invented the rectangle with rounded edges. He can do anything!
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Steve Jobs will be missed by everybody. Whether you use Apple products or not, all of us have benefited from that incredible knack he has of making electronic products practical and useful. IBM probably wouldn't have built the PC if it wasn't for the sucess of the Apple //. WIndows wouldn't have come along without the Mac. The explosion of touch pad smart phones wouldn't have happened without the I Phone. He didn't invent any of this stuff. The technology was already there and others were already making products using it but Jobs manages to build easy to use, workable products that anybody can use. He also has a gift for marketing his products. Every electronics company in the world owes Steve Jobs a word of thanks because they have been riding the wave of his vision just as the auto industry rode the wave Henry Ford started a century ago.
09-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Steve Jobs will be missed by everybody. Whether you use Apple products or not, all of us have benefited from that incredible knack he has of making electronic products practical and useful. IBM probably wouldn't have built the PC if it wasn't for the sucess of the Apple //. WIndows wouldn't have come along without the Mac. The explosion of touch pad smart phones wouldn't have happened without the I Phone. He didn't invent any of this stuff. The technology was already there and others were already making products using it but Jobs manages to build easy to use, workable products that anybody can use. He also has a gift for marketing his products. Every electronics company in the world owes Steve Jobs a word of thanks because they have been riding the wave of his vision just as the auto industry rode the wave Henry Ford started a century ago.
I know this is popular thought to the point of nearly being urban legend, but it isn't precisely true. The IBM 5150 was aimed more at the Commodore PET and CP/M machines that Apple //. Certainly Apple was "in the soup", but the "PC" would have been introduced by IBM regardless of whether or not there was an Apple.

A windows-esque interface was in development prior to the introduction of the Mac.

I'm not saying any of this to belittle Steve Jobs or Apple. Clearly Steve Jobs has been the visionary, driving force in the consumer technology market since his return to Apple. Most things, like smartphones, MP3 players, tablets were either already in existence or would have happened organically, Steve Jobs or no Steve Jobs. But Jobs made sure the Apple computers and convergence products were so refined, so intuitive, so much more than expected right out of the gate (and how often does that happen?) that he truly revolutionized the world.
09-01-2011, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

The star ran an article today about Steve Jobs father..

Click here

You have to know, if Jobs could carry on he would. His biological father is running out of time.

As for the Apple IBM debates... no one has had the effect Jobs had.. no one, you can say he copied the system from whoever, it doesn't matter, Jobs and Woz made it work for ordinary people. Everyone else copied them. Apple was a PC maker years before IBM PCs were even conceived. My first computer, and Atari was inspired by an Apple, as was the Commadore 64.. IBM came so late to the game with it's clunky DOS system I don't know why people even mention them in this context.

The bias in the Business world was immediate. I worked for Computer Mart of Detroit when the first PC was released. SIght unseen, we sold 6,000 of them.. because of the IBM image, and because of the corporate World's distaste for the the Apple rebel image... who's laughing now, Jobs goes out as #1.

All the inbred "suits" who think they know business can go cry in the washroom.

As for Woz coming back, he had a serious brain injury in a light plane crash, he's not the man he once was.
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The star ran an article today about Steve Jobs father..

Click here

You have to know, if Jobs could carry on he would. His biological father is running out of time.

As for the Apple IBM debates... no one has had the effect Jobs had.. no one, you can say he copied the system from whoever, it doesn't matter, Jobs and Woz made it work for ordinary people. Everyone else copied them. Apple was a PC maker years before IBM PCs were even conceived. My first computer, and Atari was inspired by an Apple, as was the Commadore 64.. IBM came so late to the game with it's clunky DOS system I don't know why people even mention them in this context.

The bias in the Business world was immediate. I worked for Computer Mart of Detroit when the first PC was released. SIght unseen, we sold 6,000 of them.. because of the IBM image, and because of the corporate World's distaste for the the Apple rebel image... who's laughing now, Jobs goes out as #1.

All the inbred "suits" who think they know business can go cry in the washroom.

As for Woz coming back, he had a serious brain injury in a light plane crash, he's not the man he once was.
Mainframes. IBM.

Going out #1 is meaningless if you're going out too early, and for people to crow about it is stupid. Poor Steve Jobs, he should live 200 years.
Closed Thread