Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selling photos question.

Hello everyone. I am going to a craftshow that my sister and I participate in every year. I am going to take some prints of my photos that I have taken and see if I can sell them. My question is do I need to take anything with me to prove the photos are mine? I am planning on taking my camera that I used to take the photos with along with the memory card that will have the raw photos with the edited photos on it. I am also thinking of taking the lenses that I used also just to be on the safe side. These are all of landscapes and wild animals so I won't need to worry about any photo releases.

Thanks
Jim

11-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't actually imagine anyone will even ask. I would, however, suggest you sign and copyright mark them on the back. Also write "Do Not COPY" on the back. Use a photo-safe pen for this (available at scrapbooking stores fairly cheap).
11-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some points to consider, that you may have already thought about:
1. - In reality when selling you cannot limit your customers to what they might do having purchased your image - Putting a copyright symbol on the image just ruins the image with the potential to reduce number of sales. The image content is your property within the law whether it has the mark on it or not. You might like to look at the Creative Commons license system.

2. - Make up a brochure and distribute them with your pictures and that will earn a bit more respect I have found. Also it is good for repeat business. Markets are often sightseeing events for people rather than active shopping events. People may wander by with no intention to purchase and with no money on them but take a brochure with thumbnails of images for sale and then come back next week and actually purchase from you. You can put all the licence details in the brochure without it marring the image.

3. - What will you place the image in when they buy it? Is it preframed or mounted or just a loose photo? All this will reflect your professionalism and the attitude that customers will have to your work.

4. - Have a name card available for customers to take, with contact details such as a trash e-mail address that you can keep an eye on. That way they can get back to you with more orders when the market is closed or refer you to friends...

How you regard yourself and your images will reflect on how they will treat your images. If you look professional they will be less likely to rip you off as they will have a higher regard for what they have bought. So set prices realistically for your anticipated customer base.
11-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

You won't need to prove ownership. Most people won't even think of it.

If you are going to put a copyright mark on it, do it on the back. If you think if it as art, I wouldn't hesitate to sign the front. Most artists sign their work.

11-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I do have cards that I have made up with my name, email address and website address. I have some page protectors that I will put the purchased prints in along with thin cardboard to go on each side of the print to give them a little protection. I am not able to sell framed work this year because the product has to be handmade and since I'm not a woodworker I thought I would just sell the prints to see how they go.

Thanks
Jim