Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You'll all be happy to know that I've put off my decision until the new year sometime.
I'll probably wait until the end of January and see if Pentax really comes up with something else.

Although just a warning, that I'll have a Sigma link on my main page soon.
My local camera store does a lot to help me out, and vice versa.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
How about this (and I think your ready for this) How about either a medium format the pentax 645NII or something in that range. How about going to Large format. I know large format is studio only. The medium format cameras have a good market and there are some very fine buys out there and some even digital. Yes the cost is greater. (BUT and heres another BUT) You can use a medium format in the same way you use your K10.
Thanks David,

Pentax cameras have never given me any problems, it's just the idea of trying something different. If the price wasn't so good it would be an easy decision.

I've already made arrangements to buy a Mamiya 645 film camera, and I can use it any time I want until I come up with the funds (by the 15th)
I've tried it, and it really suites my style

I'm even talking to someone about some dark room equipment today

Plus I'm seriously thinking of buying a 4X5 Large Format in the near future.
Since I'd only really need 1 lens I should be able to keep it relatively light, so I might be able to hike it into some places as well.

I'll keep you guys posted on my return to film.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Well i just found out its 14mp Interpolated, i definelty would advise you to wait unless you have no intention to print past 8X10.
It's a deceiving camera there.
This test against the Nikon D300 was done 2 days ago.

If you click on his link you'll see some head top head pictures, and can even download the raw files.

The OP, Max works for the store I'd be getting the camera through, if I got it.

12-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The tests I have seen of the SD14 conclude that the resolution is below what you get from a 10MP camera. Add to this that blown highligts still turn grey rather than white.

They call it SD14 to make you belive that it is 14MP but it is not. It is a Foevon sensor with 4.6MP. You can't, however, compare that sensor type pixel by pixel to the sensor type Pentax uses. That's why one has to resort to the resolution comparisons of test photos.
Sigma seems to feel confident it will test favorably -- it has a news announcement linked off their homepage about an article on Shutterbug comparing the Sigma camera to "two others", using the same lens, etc.. It -has- to be Canon & Nikon, as it's the only mount they make every lens in.