Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would you buy another brand if?

Let me start by saying that I won't be selling my Pentax gear, however I've just been given a very tempting offer when i was about to buy another body anyways.

I've been offered a Sigma SD14 for just above cost. Plus the lenses I want for it for the same sort of mark up.

What makes it even more tempting is it's easy to fit Pentax glass on them.

I tried one for a day not that long ago, and I really do like both the feel and image quality of it.

To put things in perspective, it's close to the same spec's as the rumored Pentax K20D, at the same price as the K10D.

If you were given the offer would you go for it, or wait and see what Pentax really comes up with next month?

11-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what little about the Sigma I do know, it is a pretty expensive model. Unless 'just above cost' is significantly less than currently available prices, you're still talking about a lot.

Like, say, more than a K10D.

And as far as using Pentax lenses on the Sigma - I haven't seen a PK adapter for Sigma. From memory I think the Sigma mount is roughly similar to the Canon EOS mount, and in theory is very adaptable, but even then you lose auto aperture and (of course) auto focus.
11-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most of my lenses are Manual, so I shouldn't loose anything.

The main difference between a Pentax mount and the Sigma mount is the aperture leaver hangs down too far. So what they do is cut this off.

They still have to shave off a little more material to make them fit.

What I'd probably do is buy a 1.4x Pentax mount TC, and adapt that to fit the camera.

If I decide to get it I'll buy it I'll have it for the Christmas season.
I've got 3 or 4 jobs lined up for the season, so it'll be a good testing ground.
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I drive a Cadillac ..would I buy a Lincoln ?
My laptop is HP would I buy a Dell ?
My TV is LG would I buy a Sharp ?

The answer to all of these questions are you betcha . There is a book called Married to the Brand I read a while ago - has some interesting points about brand names and why people stick with them and even go out of their way.

Me personally I usually buy quality (when I can ) but I am not really married to any one brand Closest would be Kraft Peanut Butter and Tim Hortons coffee. That said I like Skippy and Starbuks as well -

If I am looking to purchase something and get a great deal on a quality product I'm there. So that is a long winded Yes , Yes I would

11-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

The tests I have seen of the SD14 conclude that the resolution is below what you get from a 10MP camera. Add to this that blown highligts still turn grey rather than white.

They call it SD14 to make you belive that it is 14MP but it is not. It is a Foevon sensor with 4.6MP. You can't, however, compare that sensor type pixel by pixel to the sensor type Pentax uses. That's why one has to resort to the resolution comparisons of test photos.
11-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If given the chance, I would have gotten the K10D instead. Last I saw there was an offer from Henrys for 649.99 for the K10D body. I was foaming at the mouth lol.
11-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

To answer your title, I would if ...

- the K10D didn't do what I needed to, or broke...
- at that time K10D was out of production and no good used ones were available...
- at that time Pentax's current replacement model was a 'stinker', or no longer had dual front & rear dials...

To answer your post, I dunno ... owning the Sigma system isn't mutually exclusive with owning a Pentax system... Especially if you can and plan to use Pentax glass, so will not be selling that. And whatever is announced won't be hitting the shelves for many months after ... and will you really need what it will offer to have to get it in the 1st year?

11-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If I couldn't get what I needed from Pentax, I'd look elsewhere. Right now, just shooting candids of the kids, travel shots, landscapes, and some abstracts, my K10D and *ist DS work fine. I do want some good long glass, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, so switching wouldn't help. I'm hoping Pentax will have their lens manufacturing, quality and distribution problems solved by 2009 or so. The only lens I see on my roadmap in the coming year is the 16-45.

If I were to switch, it would likely be to Nikon. The D200/D300 look intriguing.
11-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm actually not all that fond of the Sigma glass lineup.
They just don't offer all that many Primes.

Whereas the only glass I'm still craving for my Pentax is a 85mm and a 135mm.
Sure my collection is old glass, but most of it is still good glass
A fisheye and macro lens would be nice as well.
12-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
There is a book called Married to the Brand I read a while ago - has some interesting points about brand names and why people stick with them and even go out of their way.
Sometimes people's behaviour on this is even funny (if you know a bit more then these people).

I've heard people complain about Philips TV's and that Aristona is way better but these people don't know that it's the EXACT same TV only with a diffrent lable.

This happens a lot with big brands and the only reason to buy the "Aristona" and not the "Philips" is the price since the brand is always more expensive then the other.

I've heard sometimes even Sony equipment is actually Philips.

Anyways, Would I buy a diffrent brand ?

Yes, but I'm pretty loyal to a brand so as long as I'm happy with Pentax I'll probably keep buying Pentax in the future.

if however I have some problems with my K100D Super in the near future and I feel that Pentax is not as good quality as I think I might switch to Nikon or Canon but at the moment It looks more like I'm buying the K20D or K200D in the future then a D40 or EOS400D
12-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Go for it if it suits you. The Sigma I understand is prized by wedding photographers.

I have two systems, Canon and Pentax. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Having two brands of photo gear means your options are all the more richer, and adaptable.
12-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldnt jump ship for a Sigma, a Nikon D3 or a Fuji S9 maybe, but def not a Sig or a Cannon.
12-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm actually not all that fond of the Sigma glass lineup.
They just don't offer all that many Primes.

Whereas the only glass I'm still craving for my Pentax is a 85mm and a 135mm.
Sure my collection is old glass, but most of it is still good glass
A fisheye and macro lens would be nice as well.
Stu, I think you answered your own question. I'd only switch or add another body to the mix if a) funds were unlimited. b) they had great, fast long glass. Any new system added to another adds complications, flashes, cables, remotes and lots of other unforeseen things.
12-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Stu:
As you well know I have been using Pentax for over 40 years. In those 40 years I have also bought Canon, and Nikon, and Olympus, I have used many very good cameras and I have always either, sold the other brands off, or returned them. I just like the way a Pentax always felt in my hand and I have always had great results from the camera. (The only bad results were my fault not the camera or manufacture.) So that said I have a question for you. Has Pentax served you well? If your answer is yes, then ask your self Do I like my camera? Do I need more than what I now have? what will the cost be to buy another system and what would happen if the camera later on was not supported.
Look my friend if you really want another system then go for it. BUT (and there is always a BUT) Ask your self Do I really want another DSLR (35mm type) How about this (and I think your ready for this) How about either a medium format the pentax 645NII or something in that range. How about going to Large format. I know large format is studio only. The medium format cameras have a good market and there are some very fine buys out there and some even digital. Yes the cost is greater. (BUT and heres another BUT) You can use a medium format in the same way you use your K10.
As you know I have two bodies one a DL and my new (thanks to ED Z from Pentaxforums .com) K100D. I really took a look at what I'm shooting and my needs when I was looking at the K10D I found, most of the offerings this camera had were really great, but I ask my self what do I really need. I got it with the K100D and the satisfaction of knowing I was right. As I am now thinking of a new camera purchase down the road I will step up into the medium format slot and I'm looking at, or for digital medium format. Or a coveted Pentax 67 with some great glass.
Think about it Stu, think very hard and long. Don't let others create your judgment, find out what is right for you.
12-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No harm in waiting unless the offer is about to expire. That said, you mentioned that you can use Pentax glass with the Sigma? Well, hell yeah! I'd definetly go for it if but only if the Sigma has been field proven. If i were you i'd definelty do some research on the Sigmas results before you make a decision.

EDIT: Well i just found out its 14mp Interpolated, i definelty would advise you to wait unless you have no intention to print past 8X10.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 12-01-2007 at 09:19 AM.