Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How Callous the GOP?

You can't get much more callous than this.

GOP in Giffords’ district holds raffle for Glock | The Raw Story

Where is the Democratic equivalent?

Just another reason to never vote republican ever again.

09-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Callous is the word. This story made me nauseous.
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My goodness. Someone is either beneath contempt or amazingly stupid--perhaps both.

On another note, isn't there an American gun which would attract tickets? With all the choices of fine firearms, it makes you think it was in fact intentional.
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
With all the choices of fine firearms, it makes you think it was in fact intentional.
That's certainly what I think.

09-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stupid or callous, I don't know which but it's really bad, bad, bad. I'm all for the second ammendment, shoot guns, like guns, etc. but PUHLEEEZE this is terrible.

I mean the whole idea, whether it be a Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. it does not matter.
09-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Stupid or callous, I don't know which but it's really bad, bad, bad. I'm all for the second ammendment, shoot guns, like guns, etc. but PUHLEEEZE this is terrible.

I mean the whole idea, whether it be a Glock, Sig, H&K, etc. it does not matter.
I agree it would be bad with any brand, but the current model of the gun that shot Rep. Giffords is a bit worse. The only way they could have topped that (without raiding the evidence locker) would be to offer the high capacity magazine.

It makes you wonder how much Rick Perry could raise with a raffle of a 6.5mm Carcano in Dallas. Maybe the Dems. in D.C. could respond with a raffle for a .22 Röhm. This is just sick!

Last edited by GeneV; 09-02-2011 at 09:24 AM.
09-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately it's not the only callous thing they do.
Holding back medical research is also on the menu.

It would appear that small government is for small countries, or at least small minded political and corporate interests.

Congressional Paralysis Puts NIH Drug-Development Center in Limbo: Scientific American
09-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #8

First, the raffle is in poor taste in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't want to do any business whatsoever with anyone who appears to have such a callous regard for human life.

Second, 'The GOP' isn't responsible for organizing and promoting this raffle, individual people are responsible for doing so. 'The GOP' isn't a real thing, it is a construct used to describe a group of people. Saying the GOP is responsible for this is no different than saying that the Democratic Party is responsible for every decision that any one of it's members make, from ordering drone attacks that kill innocent civilians to deciding how many sheets of two ply to use to avoid those embarrassing skid marks.

So long as you absolve individuals of the responsibility for their actions, those individuals will continue to act in a manner that is not fit for a productive member of society.

09-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks to me like the flier went out as the "Pima GOP" getting out the vote, and the spokesperson defending this event on CNN was the Pima County GOP chair. This isn't Moveon.org or Rush Limbaugh; this is the party.

It was so successful, they are adding a second Glock, TriValley Central . Some individual local politicians have criticized this fundraising, but the state and national parties have not, at least as far as I can see. Instead, they have had the local chair defend it on national television.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-07-2011 at 06:52 AM.
09-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Bullseye Gene, you've proven that the GOP supports this mess. This story makes the rifle raffle in Bowling For Columbine look trivial.
09-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Leave it to the Republicans to raffle off a foreign made gun. A shining example of their economic policy too.
09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glock...Proudly enabling police officers to accidentally shoot themselves for more than 20 years.
09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Leave it to the Republicans to raffle off a foreign made gun. A shining example of their economic policy too.
Especially since this is something we really do make here, and do it well.
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Especially since this is something we really do make here, and do it well.
Is there any doubt at this point that raffling off a Glock as part of Arizona politics is anything other than a symbol of how the far right thinks things should be done to the opposition?
They didn't raffle a Smith and Wesson because it lacks the present symbolism of the Glock.
09-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Might be because the media has built some sort of mysticaly aura around the Glock since it's introduction. Sounds almost like an evil Buck Rogers ray gun that holds 100 shots , can't be seen by x-ray and can litterally vaporize your enemies.
Personally I'd rather see them raffle off something nice like a Kimber 1911 but hey the Glock is cheaper and it has magical powers . The press told us so.
Closed Thread