Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I recall that sometime in the early '90s I bought my older daughter a cassette connector for her Walkman CD not long before built-in CD players started to become common, but I don't remember the last car we owned with a cassette player. I just ran out to the garage and looked at my wife's Honda Accord EX - bought in 2000, it's the oldest car in our stable and has only a CD player. None of the cars that have come (and some have gone) that I've bought since, had cassette "decks." And now . . . . . CD players'll fade out of the picture and mp3 players and - for me at least - satellite radio offer more convenient alternatives. The worm turns . . . . .

Jer

09-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife insists on maintaining her subscription to satellite radio in her 2009 Malibu. She listens to the same "today's hot new music mix" style stations that she can listen to for free on terrestrial based, local stations. She's a nut.
For all it's variety, I am not sure I would pay for satellite radio. It's sound quality is rather poor. Now granted, it sounds better than some of my most neglected, vinyl records.
Our 2005 Caravan came with cassette, disc and radio. I just need to hook up the googlephonic stereo with the moonrock needle turntable and I'll be jammin'.
09-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
My wife insists on maintaining her subscription to satellite radio in her 2009 Malibu. She listens to the same "today's hot new music mix" style stations that she can listen to for free on terrestrial based, local stations. She's a nut.
For all it's variety, I am not sure I would pay for satellite radio. It's sound quality is rather poor. Now granted, it sounds better than some of my most neglected, vinyl records.
Our 2005 Caravan came with cassette, disc and radio. I just need to hook up the googlephonic stereo with the moonrock needle turntable and I'll be jammin'.
Hey Matt - yeah, I find that the technical quality of my two receivers don't match that of a CD, although I wouldn't describe it as "rather poor" - perhaps because my (almost) 65-year-old ears have lost some resolving power . For me, the point is moot in any case; I find the programming and commercials of conventional radio to be beyond tedious, and neither of these "features" improves with increased fidelity. I would find the world a little less interesting without the jazz, blues and other channels I enjoy on satellite. I'll never buy another car without one (or perhaps some technological alternative), unless broadcast radio undergoes a radical change in business model and programming - I'm not holding my breath.

Jer