Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Road Music

When I bought our Boxster a couple of years ago, I found a moderately well-optioned one on the lot that suited me and allowed me to take advantage of what was then a buyer's market. The only major thing missing that I would have ordered is a satellite radio and/or iPod interface. Up till now, my options were hauling around CDs or listening to broadcast radio - the latter being no option at all. Equipping the car with satellite would require retrofitting the current radio with the Porsche Communication System plus adding the XM receiver - literally a multi-thousand dollar undertaking which would partially obviate the good deal I got on the car in the first place. Adding Porsche's iPod interface is considerably cheaper, but still costs a young fortune.

So . . . I opted to try one of the low-cost iPod FM transmitters you can buy anywhere. These things get, at best, mixed reviews, since finding a clear frequency on the radio can be an issue, particularly in metro areas. However, the one I bought - branded as a "Monster" - seems to do well here in Lake Jackson, about 50 miles south of Houston, and the whole deal - iPod and all - can fit into the console and remain invisible. It was a real pleasure to crank up Ray Charles playing those familiar licks of "What'd I Say" on the Wurly, which "harmonized" nicely with fat "bbbbrrrraaaatttt" sound of the engine.

For those who've considered one of these transmitters, you might want to give one a try. I can't guarantee it'll work to your satisfaction in your area, but I can testify that the gadgets can do a pretty good job if conditions are right.

Jer

09-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Despite a crowded FM dial here in NYC the FM modulator I used in my old car always worked well.
The iSimple IS31 connects directly inline with the antenna assuring a strong signal.

I hope my next car has a built-in MP3 player input jack. If not I'll get another IS31.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-05-2011 at 08:26 AM.
09-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an inexpensive one as well. Mp3 FM modulator. It powers through the cigarette lighter and plays a variety of digital music files. Something like 20 channels and will connect to a media player via usb, tiny jack or play directly from an SD card. Pretty cool. But as soon as my wife bough me an iPod, the modulator no longer was useful. We have a cassette adaptor modulator for our dvd player that will connect my iPod. An the wife has satellite in her car. I probably would have given you this MP3 FM modulator had I known.
Since mine plays from SD card as well, I went straight to work converting the complete album catalogs of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and a few others to WAV and MP3 files and loading them on an SD card to carry in the van.
You are right though. For around $15, they can be a good alternative to some music solutions.
09-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've had difficulty locally using an FM modulator locally although once I get up in the mountains, it's no problem because there are only a handful of radio stations on the dial. The GMC truck I recently bought has an aux plug which I can plug an Ipod into which produces much better quality then the Fm. My music on the go is now on my Droid phone. Almost all the new car radios have aux ports and most have a USB port on them so if your current car stereo doesn't have those plugs, it cheaper to just go buy a new stereo. A lot of car manufacturers have gone to including the radio/cd player with other components on the dash so you can't remove it so for those cars, an under dash unit works or even under the seat because most can now be used with a remote.

09-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Despite a crowded FM dial here in NYC the FM modulator I used in my old car always worked well.
The iSimple IS31 connects directly inline with the antenna assuring a strong signal.

I hope my next car has a built-in MP3 player input jack. If not I'll get another IS31.

Chris
Hey Chris - sounds like your iS31 was a winner. As a jazz lover, I envy your access to great muscians in NYC. There's a little jazz going on in the Houston area and some of the folks have great chops, but you have to look pretty hard.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have an inexpensive one as well. Mp3 FM modulator. It powers through the cigarette lighter and plays a variety of digital music files. Something like 20 channels and will connect to a media player via usb, tiny jack or play directly from an SD card. Pretty cool. But as soon as my wife bough me an iPod, the modulator no longer was useful. We have a cassette adaptor modulator for our dvd player that will connect my iPod. An the wife has satellite in her car. I probably would have given you this MP3 FM modulator had I known.
Since mine plays from SD card as well, I went straight to work converting the complete album catalogs of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and a few others to WAV and MP3 files and loading them on an SD card to carry in the van.
You are right though. For around $15, they can be a good alternative to some music solutions.
Hey Matt. Yeah, I agree a modulator can't match a direct connection. But the Porsche solutions just cost too much when the snarl of the motor and sound of the wind dominate the environment anyway.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've had difficulty locally using an FM modulator locally although once I get up in the mountains, it's no problem because there are only a handful of radio stations on the dial. The GMC truck I recently bought has an aux plug which I can plug an Ipod into which produces much better quality then the Fm. My music on the go is now on my Droid phone. Almost all the new car radios have aux ports and most have a USB port on them so if your current car stereo doesn't have those plugs, it cheaper to just go buy a new stereo. A lot of car manufacturers have gone to including the radio/cd player with other components on the dash so you can't remove it so for those cars, an under dash unit works or even under the seat because most can now be used with a remote.
You bet - a direct connection is much better. I equipped my daily driver, a BMW I ordered four years ago this month, with both satellite and the iPod "adaptor", which essentially turns the radio into an iPod controller as well as charges the iPod. At the time, BMW was one of the few that had such an agreement with Apple - so it was a super cool set up. I think it's pretty common now; my daughter's Honda fit has a very good iPod interface as standard equipment. I'll betcha the Bimmer one is still optional!

Frankly, in my Porsche, the difference between direct and modulator is probably lost most of the time anyway. The ambient sounds, which are part of the car's fabric, act as a great audio equalizer (no pun intended).

Jer
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I realize it is a bit late but these cassette adaptors in some ways are better than an FM modulator. If you are driving long distances, the radio station frequencies can drift in and out and spoil your sound. Some modulators even allow spark plug interferences. Now granted, not every car will have a cassette player while most every car does have an FM radio.
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My car is too loud to hear the music.

09-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had a '75 Pinto that had a hole on the muffler. Instead I just made bigger stereo speakers.

kidding.it wasaMercuryBobcat.
09-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had a '75 Pinto that had a hole on the muffler. Instead I just made bigger stereo speakers.

kidding.it wasaMercuryBobcat.
My last truck was an 96 Isuzu Hombre (same as S-10) that was rusted out and well over 200K miles. The Blaupunkt cd player in it was worth more than the truck. The catalityc converter was cracked but I had no problems drowning out the noise.
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I totally agree onthe FM modulator - closer you get to a major center the more you are constantly seeking a new channel. The cassette interface is way better however not many cars have that. What I do (depending on what car we use) is use a good portable ipod system (ihome, Sony , there are lots of options). They make them small enough now with pretty decent sound. Not premium stero sound for sure , but beats the heck outta ripping CD'S all the time.
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a Sansa Clip+ used with a Sony cassette adaptor.
09-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One word: Earphones.
09-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
One word: Earphones.
But then you cannot hear the sounds of receiving text messages.
I've been guilty of listening to music through earbuds while driving. The bliss of not realizing how loudly you are singing.
09-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Earphones? Texting while driving? You must be kidding!

Chris
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I realize it is a bit late but these cassette adaptors in some ways are better than an FM modulator. If you are driving long distances, the radio station frequencies can drift in and out and spoil your sound. Some modulators even allow spark plug interferences. Now granted, not every car will have a cassette player while most every car does have an FM radio.
Soon as I am sure I eat this month, this is actually kind of my plan. The new Ratmobile actually has possibly the oldest brand new stereo on the road, (A new-in-box cassette deck I've somehow hung onto for well over a decade) and it's an easy adaptation.

(Also, Chris, so you know, I have full-screen now with that DVI card. A more computer-savvy-friend realized that the only problem was that certain XP previews were in error, and it would have worked all along. The problem was *me* looking at the pictures and not the numbers. ) (the pictures in preview looked like they were for vertically-orienting a more-period-like screen, but this deceived me. All's working now, I'd just missed something. )