Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Presidential Address to Congress

Just my take, but the President just ate the Republicans' lunch.

09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That was a really good speech.

Even got a nice tweet from Cantor, of all people, though he basically just cherry-picked the parts of Obama's plan that would appeal to Repubs.
09-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just finished watching. Wow! Excellent ideas, and great presentation.
On the political side, no one we saw last night is in the same league.
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OTH all noble woof with little after effect, the guy will get 30% of what he proposed and give some more to the Republicans, and look like he's ineffective. Big speech, big deal. Lets see him actually put some of this into passing the bills required.

09-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
OTH all noble woof with little after effect, the guy will get 30% of what he proposed and give some more to the Republicans, and look like he's ineffective. Big speech, big deal. Lets see him actually put some of this into passing the bills required.
Exactly, in the end his words last night are going to have as much affect on this country's unemployment rate as this post unless anything is actually passed. If he is serious he will send up a handful of discrete bills instead of one monolithic bill.

edit: I didn't watch the speech because I was busy grilling wings for the game (hopefully we get rematch at Lambeau in January to settle the score) so I thought he was just coming out with a bunch of ideas and but it looks like he is taking the monolithic bill approach.
09-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Exactly, in the end his words last night are going to have as much affect on this country's unemployment rate as this post unless anything is actually passed. If he is serious he will send up a handful of discrete bills instead of one monolithic bill.

edit: I didn't watch the speech because I was busy grilling wings for the game (hopefully we get rematch at Lambeau in January to settle the score) so I thought he was just coming out with a bunch of ideas and but it looks like he is taking the monolithic bill approach.
I believe Obama's leaving it up to us to decide............ Better write to your reps.. or stop whining when more shiiit hit the fan.........
09-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moody's like the plan.

Moody's: Obama plan would add 1.9M jobs - UPI.com

09-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just my take, but the President just ate the Republicans' lunch.
But not Mike's wings.
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
But not Mike's wings.
Nope, the Packers did that. That was one hell of a game. I have Rodgers & Sproles in my fantasy league.
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great QB battle, indeed. And Sproles (and Cobb)... wow.
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nope, the Packers did that. That was one hell of a game. I have Rodgers & Sproles in my fantasy league.
I think it was BJ Raji that ate them all. I was really disappointed with out offensive line especially in the red zone, but I think that will be one of the best games of the whole season.
09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Go pack!!!

Anyways .. Mitchell on "the speech"...........

QuoteQuote:
Amen, brother. If the Tea/Republicans had existed 100 years ago, America would be a third-rate country, somewhere below Russia. No roads, no schools, no research, no medical care, no medicines, no consumer protections, no safe food – and no money.

Anyway, if what he proposes actually happens, it will help a bit. My fear is that it is just the first step in what will be another “Obama compromise” – give the other guy everything he demands and claim it was a compromise.

And the other guy – the Tea/Republicans – will complain it increases the deficit. Why will they complain? Because they know pumping money into the economy will improve America before the 2012 election, and improving America is the last thing these “patriots” want.

All in all, it was a pretty good speech by a politician who knows nothing of economics — better than I thought it might be. Though again, the proposals are way too little and far too late, we’ll see what actually gets passed.

Rodger Malcolm Mitchell
Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell