Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The need for speed cost you ......?

Let's face it , regradless if you drive a 1975 Pinto or a 2012 Maserati at some point you probably been nailed for speeding. A lot of places (most by now I think) have photo radar - the only advantage of photo is it does not count against your points (not sure how it works south of the boarder but), here you start with 15 points on a full license and 8 on GDL (Gradualted Drivers License - 2 years of this then you can get you regular license for a another $100.00 or so). Most tickets are 3 points (radar) unless you are doing way over the speed limit. When you run out of points you run out of license (takes 3 years to get them back ???)

I am not much of a speeder but personally the fastest I have been 'clocked at' was 139km/hr in a 110 in a 1996 Topaz - The ticket was just under $200 if I remember correcty. I had a 1975 New Yorker where I was just under 170km/hr then backed off (running out of straight road) I got away with that one

So what have you been clocked at and what did it cost ?

09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, Dave, despite all of the crazy stuff I've done in cars, I've only been ticketed and fined twice, both because I wasn't paying attention rather than intentionally driving aggressively: once in Midland, MI for doing 40 in a a 25 mph zone and once on FM 2004 for driving near 90 (4-cyl Camry!) in a 70 mph stretch in Hitchcock, TX.

I've been stopped and verbally warned several times and have been given warning tickets in TX (that great state of the free individual) for the heinous crime of NOT defacing the front of my car with a license plate.

When I was an upperclassman in college, home for the summer and cruising in my loud '65 Mustang with two glaspacs and four girls (long time friends from grade school to high school), I was actually stopped by a sherriff's deputy and "taken in" for questioning for street racing. The irony was that, although my hormones doubtlessly were firing off in all directions given the situation, I was doing no such thing and if I topped the limit, it but wasn't by much. After about 15 minutes of questioning and lecturing, I pointed out that I had four upperclassmen friends who would verify that no racing occurred. That ended the episode; in fairness and retrospect, the deputy was a good guy trying to keep a young fool from killing himself and/or someone else. The bright side was that I was positively "cool hand Luke" in the eyes of my friends . . . for a while.

Jer
09-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I had just done some fairly major mods to a Kawasaki 650 (headers, carb work, cafe fairing) and was seeing how fast I could make the thing go.
The RCMP guy that pulled me over told me he had clocked me at 223kph.
No ticket, and no warning on that one. I was polite, and the officer was far kinder than I deserved.
09-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only ever got pulled over for speeding on a me-powered bicycle. Tall gears, I suppose.

09-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never once had a ticket. Two accidents, but no tickets.

The closest I ever came was on the NY Thruway. I went past a trooper going faster than 75/mph. The trooper put on his lights and pulled out but by that time I was back in the right lane doing 70. The trooper just kept on going doing 80-85 like they always do.
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't afford to speed - I have a commercial drivers license.
Fines, points and other penalties are far greater for CDL holders.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.
09-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

1972....the desert straightaway between Eagle Pass and La Pryor Tx......'69 Roadrunner 142mph in a 55. No traffic, perfect weather, good tires in like new condition.....I stopped and waited for him to turn around and catch up, then pulled over the second he hit the lights......got of with a "Trophy"....a written warning!
Regards!

09-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
1972....the desert straightaway between Eagle Pass and La Pryor Tx......'69 Roadrunner 142mph in a 55. No traffic, perfect weather, good tires in like new condition.....I stopped and waited for him to turn around and catch up, then pulled over the second he hit the lights......got of with a "Trophy"....a written warning!
Regards!
So that's why Otis and crew destroyed your wiring harness. Trying to keep you from killing yourself..

85 in a 65, I-40 somewhere between Yucca Flats and Lake Havasu, Az. $180 and I probably got off cheap considering I was actually past 90MPH. Could barely tell that Lincoln was moving but it took the cop 2 miles to catch up to me (he said).

09-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd wrecked a Jeep Cherokee near Moab and the rental company came out with another car on a low loader - a Cadillac Eldorado, a nearly new ( this was back in about 1995 ) big gold leviathan with the glorious Northstar engine. Apparently it was all they had in the yard.

We took off to Las Vegas and I got into a bit of a race with some redneck in a Camaro. The police got me, let the redneck go, and told me I'd been clocked at over 110 mph and asked if I thought I was on a European Autobahn ? When he clocked my English accent he muttered something about "****ing crazy europeans", and told me to drive slower.:ugh:

I've had points and a fine here from a hidden camera, we have 12 to start and generally lose 3 at a time for speeding. My gripe is that very often it's nothing more than a money raising exercise. I have no problem with strict speed enforcement in built up areas, and especially around houses and schools. But the hidden and covert cameras seem to be deployed on wide, safe rural roads.
09-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Regards!
Only in Texas.
My co-worker had one, on the scoop it said 440 and somewhere on the front or maybe back, it had some goofy looking birds on it, might have been on them fenders. What a hell of a ride it was.
Reminds me of them liquor store drive-in windows and them go-cups.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
09-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My most recent was a 64 in a 40. The cop claimed that had I been going 65, it would have meant a trip downtown. The whole thing was very brief. $125 fine.
It had been probably five years since my last ticket. Like many of you, it's not that I do not speed. I just have a better idea of when to speed less.
Back in the late 90's, I was once a few points away from getting my license suspended because of my speeding habits.
09-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Banned

I have gone 160mph on my ZX11 Kawaski that has a top speed of 188mph @11,500rpm in 6th gear but have never been caught speeding yet. Here is a Pentax K-7 video test clip on a country road getting up to 100mph in 3rd gear in a 45mph zone.
09-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had only three speeding tickets, all in the 1980's, when I was young and impetuous.
I have since settled down a bit behind the wheel.
I frankly had my fill of driving when I did it professionally for a few years recently.
I'm seldom in a rush anymore.

-Once on the Cross Island Parkway near Belmont Racetrack, cutting college in my '79 VW Rabbit.
-Once on I-95 in Maine coming back from Canada late one night in my '87 Isuzu Trooper.
-Once on the Beltway in Maryland at midday, amazed that there was no traffic, also in the Trooper.

IIRC each time I was well over 90 mph. (Yes, an Isuzu Trooper can go that fast! )
Luckily all tickets stated 1 mph below "excessive speed" and a mandatory desk appearance.
Twenty years on I can't recall the fine amounts, but I do remember they cost me deep in the purse.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-13-2011 at 03:34 PM.
09-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow some of you guys are Chuck Yeager That video of the Bike was very good my heart was racing. I am amazed at those that have never got a ticket wow. Yep the older we get , generally the safer we are , if we get nailed it is usually in a residential or school zone (personally I have no problem with 30km/hr limits for elementry or Junior High - but I think 50km/hr for those high school students they can get out the way quick !!!). My son who has moved out but has not changed the address on his car registration yet has had two letters from the City with a great picture of the rear license plate have not seen one since , so I think he is getting a little wiser at best or luckier at worst.

I remmeber one ticket man talk about stupid. Driving along a very very straight highway , noticing this plane above that seemed to be going back and forth , back and forth accross the highway , thinking why the hell would he do that ? Pilot training ? Another 5km up the road I had my answer as I was car number 6 that had been flagged for speeding and patiently awaited my turn to get my ticket dooooooooooooooooh.

Last edited by daacon; 09-13-2011 at 07:16 AM.
09-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny, Maine this week raised the speed limit on the very stretch of I-95 where I got one of my speeding tickets years ago:

AP: New 75 mph limit puts Maine in the fast lane

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-28-2011 at 05:58 PM.