Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FBI Teaches mainstream Muslims are violent

QuoteQuote:
The FBI is teaching its counterterrorism agents that “main stream” [sic] American Muslims are likely to be terrorist sympathizers; that the Prophet Mohammed was a “cult leader”; and that the Islamic practice of giving charity is no more than a “funding mechanism for combat.”
FBI Teaches Agents: ‘Mainstream’ Muslims Are ‘Violent, Radical’ | Danger Room | Wired.com

The briefings go on to discuss how to discredit Islam as a religion.

Amazing. What do they teach about McVeigh's Christian Identity movement? How about Mormons or Orthodox Jews?

09-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Most every government throughout time has used a boogeyman to keep the masses scared and compliant. With the downturn in active terrorism, someone needs to turn up the heat a bit to ensure that we stay scared.
09-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's always those union thugs..........
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

All religious people believe that God favours them, and that he is all powerful and on their side, and that they will get some sort of reward on their death.

This means all religious people tend to have a slightly different (and sometimes radically different) view on what is acceptable behaviour than they would do if they did not think that.

09-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IRA Supporter, Rep. Peter King testifies In UK Parliament on Muslim Extremism | Crooks and Liars
09-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
All religious people believe that God favours them, and that he is all powerful and on their side, and that they will get some sort of reward on their death.

This means all religious people tend to have a slightly different (and sometimes radically different) view on what is acceptable behaviour than they would do if they did not think that.

That's actually quite untrue: only a few religions are of that sort of belief: or even believe in that sort of God: just Hindu and Buddhist people, who make up quite a percentage of the world, don't fit that description. ..nor do I, actually. (My religion isn't very 'carrot-and-stick' about death and all, or really actually very focused on it, never mind defined by it. We have many stories, several different kinds of ideas, and I'd say aren't particularly attached to outcomes, that way. We're about life and living, (also death and rebirth, but that's all part of the same thing to us. ) I've spent enough time close to the gate of it that I probably think on such things more than most, actually, and I don't consider myself particularly-fussed about it.

What I *want,* I suppose, is in due time, a break from all this, and I'm pretty reliably-informed that'll last about five minutes by some reckonings next time I'm dead, but that's OK, too. Sometimes, faith's just faith. That much of it, I've got. Does mean trust of a sort, not so much thinking you know. How do I always say it: Belief is thinking you know something: faith is not really needing to.

Anyway, my sort of religion has *often* been subject to disinformation campaigns by certain usual suspects: *quite* often directed at law enforcement: making quite a great deal of money 'educating' with 'experts' about various moral panics about my sort of religion, and they're the same ones trying to make bad guys of *every* other religion or not-them-religion, or non-religion, or any of that.

Trying to turn *people* into the monsters *their* religions say we are... ....disturbingly, a lot of supposed rathionalists are doing the same. Defining 'non-atheism' as 'All religion' and simply not speaking the truth any anthropologist or anyone that gave it a minute's real study would show: "Religion" is not the thing some Christians claim it is. Not in the real world of real people. And rationalists ought to pay some heed to that. If you have problems with certain *forms* of religion, it doesn't help to put everyone else in the world on the wrong side of *your* 'One true way.'

Cause, you're saying things that aren't actually true. Doesn't leave you with much, does it?
09-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #7

If Mohammed wasn't a cult leader-- then please explain the difference between religion and cult.
09-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
If Mohammed wasn't a cult leader-- then please explain the difference between religion and cult.
We can say the same thing about Joseph Smith / Brigham Young, and Peter / Paul for that matter.

09-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

<cynical>A religion is a cult that has gotten big enough to be the bully instead of the target...</cynical>. Truly, the biggest difference between the two, in my opinion, is size.

Jim
09-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote

I'm sorry to say this but the level of ignorance attributed to this comment is beyond reproach.
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
please explain the difference between religion and cult.

Here's a metric for 'cult-ey' ness (in that bad sense,) that a lot of people have found pretty useful:

The Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame
09-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps all religions would be less violent, if other religions would stop poking them with pointy sticks.
09-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Quakerism in the US, bhudism, jainism and anyone who follows Ghandi sort of brag about how often they've been poked with pointy sticks without responding. There is simply no excuse in their eyes for violence. There are those who think there are things that justify violence against other beings... and it is only a matter of time until someone figures out what things will drive them to violence and forces them to become violent... and those who believe nothing justifies violemce. For the most part those religions don't persecute anyone. You believe in violence or you don't. Perhaps religions would be less violent, if they renounced violence. I can't really see anything else that is even relevant to that topic.

Haven't renounced violence yet? sooner or later you're going to be violent. It's really that simple.
09-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

From the link - - -
QuoteQuote:
“Any war against non-believers is justified” under Muslim law; a “moderating process cannot happen if the Koran continues to be regarded as the unalterable word of Allah.”
Hmmm? Would this be a Tea Party version?

“Any war against non-believers is justified under the right wing Conservative Christian law; a moderating process cannot happen if the right wing Conservative Christian Bible continues to be regarded as the unalterable word of the right wing Conservative Christian version of God.”
09-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm sorry to say this but the level of ignorance attributed to this comment is beyond reproach.
Perhaps I should have said the Abrahamic faiths (Chritianity, Judaism and Islam) teach that their followers are 'chosen' by God, that he tells them what to do and that by doing as he says they will be rewarded.

This leads to such things as The Crusades, in which people killed thousands in the name of Christianity, and the sort of violence we now see amongst extremist Muslim groups.

Thinking that you are doing as you have been commanded by an all powerful being that may kill you but for which you will be rewarded is very different than doing something you think may kill you full stop.

It's that difference that leads people to do things that they otherwise would not.

Do you think Abraham would have made an altar to sacrifice his son if he hadn't thought God was telling him to do it?

You're going to have to explain why you feel my comment is ignorant - it's only polite.
Closed Thread