Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has Conservatism become a Religion?

Has American-Style Conservatism Become a Religion? | | AlterNet

QuoteQuote:
Fundamentalist religion plays a big role in today's Republican party--but has it gone even further, spreading dangerous beliefs as articles of faith?
QuoteQuote:
Ideology is grounded in the real world. It offers us a philosophical lens through which we can efficiently process what's happening in the world around us. Religion is different. It's a fixed belief system, based on faith, and it is immune to – or at least highly resistant to – challenges mounted by objective reality. Which better describes the belief system of a typical Rush Limbaugh fan or Tea Party activist?

09-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Has Conservatism become a Religion?
In a word - yes.
09-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
In a word - yes.
Some time ago, even.
09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Some time ago, even.
and unpatriotic to boot............
QuoteQuote:
Speaker Boehner speaks:

Washington Post, 9/15/11: Boehner insisted that the path to creating jobs is to cut spending.

“If the supercommittee can rein in federal spending, the economy will rebound. The joint committee is a jobs committee.”

If anyone can demonstrate how cutting federal spending stimulates the economy and creates jobs, please let us know. Also, please give me your address; I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

While Boehner relies on Americans being ignorant of economics, I suspect he himself knows exactly what he is doing. His focus is on the 2012 election, and to hell with struggling Americans. I suspect he knows full well that cutting federal spending will push the nation back down into recession, just in time for the Republicans to claim that President Obama caused the problem.

For this comment, Boehner is awarded three traitor flags for putting party politics ahead of America’s future:

Today’s unpatriotic comment, from Boehner Monetary Sovereignty – Mitchell

09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it's called the church of "Every Man for Himself"
09-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just judging from the "conservative" candidates and the audiences at their debates recently, that religion must be based on love of executions, cavalier attitude toward medical neglect, mass stupidity and unparalleled greed and selfishness. Funny, ask 100 conservative republicans what religion they are and I will bet you $20 more than half will say "Christian", but judging from the actions of their fellow party members seems very far from anything Jesus taught.

Methinks about 50% of the population needs to go back to school...SUNDAY SCHOOL.

Jason
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Banned

09-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Actually I think it is more that religious zealots have take over American conservatism. I am personally conservative in some areas and liberal in others. I am not the least bit religious however. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and then burned it!

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-16-2011 at 03:58 PM.
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Conservatives know what's best. Liberals are not so sure.
09-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Hubris vs realism... give me realism every time...
09-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Actually I think it is more that religious zealots have take over American conservatism. I am personally conservative in some areas and liberal in others. I am not the least bit religious however. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and then burned it!

Mike
Mike

I think almost every thinking person is that way. Some days I am more liberal than others even. Non zealots even have the ability of seeing the good the other side (if there are sides) is suggesting even if they do not agree with it or that it is the best way forward. To many today it is a battle to totally defeat or insult the other side without even knowing what the ideas or policies on ether side are.

Apparently my great grand parents may have been religious but that is about as close to it as I have got and they died decades before I was born
09-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

To be fair to compare the far Right to a religion gives many religions a bad name...

... the far right is more a superstitious cult motivated by ignorance and fear.
Some religions would not fit this definition.

Also by and large the world's religions have a transcendent faith in something
beyond human affairs while the Right seems to wallow in the mundane, personal and individual.

Last edited by wildman; 09-17-2011 at 03:38 AM.
09-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
That pretty much sums it up.
09-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I am Christian in my faith but not particularly conservative in my political views. I generally avoid political discussions around friends from church because it always opens a can of worms. There are many who hold on to the Republican platform like it is scripture. I pointed out to many during the last presidential election that there really wasn't any difference between McCain and Obama in their views on some issues Christians hold dear, such as abortion, so why all the whining? A lot of those conservatives are doing nothing more than offering up lip service and saying the right catch phrases just to get votes. A lot of the same thing goes on with liberals too as they also pander to certain groups for their support. I really don't trust any politician, regardless of party.
09-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
10 Signs God Is Furious With the Right | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

QuoteQuote:
Whatever disaster strikes, there's always an upside in religious rightland, always somebody to point the finger at with glee. Let's turn the tables.
  1. Republicans, for bearing false witness.
  2. The Religious Right, for ignoring Jesus on the separation of church and state.
  3. The nativist right and the GOP, for a rash of anti-immigrant laws.
  4. The predatory lending industry and all who enable them.
  5. The GOP, for its contempt for the poor.
  6. Privatized public utilities, for the worship of Mammon.
  7. Virginia.
  8. North Carolina.
  9. Rick Perry.
  10. God.
Closed Thread