Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just see the time travel thing as science types wanting some exciting stuff to ponder. The concrete thing relativity indicates (and the only thing confirmed experimentally) is that the rate of time varies with movement and gravity/acceleration. If you could live on Jupiter, for instance, your clock would constantly run slower than clocks on Earth.

I've never seen how one extrapolates the possibility of time "travel" from the fact that movement/gravity slows down physics. Consider a gravitational singularity, an event of infinite gravity, and which the Big Bang supposedly was. If anything should make time go backward that should . . . but how would expansion from the singularity (as the universe did) ever take place since its infinite gravity would cause the singularity to keep preceding itself!

Past is function of human consciousness, our memory. Raw physics has no such thing. Future is also a function of human conscious, our imagination, and physics doesn't have that either.

09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now I find myself with thoughts of a confection. Something ooey-gooey rich-n-chewy inside, tender tasty golden flaky outside. Alas, all I can so is dream of it.
09-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Being a product of mid-western pragmatics,going to stick with the fact
I can see a quark with my eyes closed.
09-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
I can see a quark with my eyes closed.
Is it naked?

09-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Is it naked?
OK Rico,you got me.I spend lots of time at work,talking with wife, etc.,
and am accused of not paying attention when theres nothing further from
truth.That truth being,I spend a HUGE amount of time looking for one.
And yeah,I havent seen it [yet],is supposed to be a flash when it happens.
With that thought in mind, it has to be naked.

Last edited by BillM; 09-28-2011 at 01:02 AM.
10-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

A boffin suggests that the different frames of reference of the OPERA experiment and the GPS satelites used as a 'clock' might explain why the neutrions seemed to be a bit fast (/ arrive before expected / the distance on Earth having shrunk a bit):

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1110/1110.2685v3.pdf
10-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A boffin suggests that the different frames of reference of the OPERA experiment and the GPS satelites used as a 'clock' might explain why the neutrions seemed to be a bit fast (/ arrive before expected / the distance on Earth having shrunk a bit):

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1110/1110.2685v3.pdf
So CERN spent all their money on instruments and didn't hire anyone good at orbital mechanics

10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Because we exist. People screw-up stuff. If travel into the past was possible, some human would have traveled as far back as possible, back to The Big Bang. And being human, they would have screwed it up, and we wouldn't exist. Thus is travel into the past impossible, QED. Whew! I can stop worrying about the Grandfather Paradox.
Yes, but is your existence today the same as it was yesterday? For that matter, did you even exist yesterday in another reality? Ray Bradbury may have been on to something when he wrote "A Sound of Thunder."

QuoteQuote:
Well since the Mayan's believed that there calander would end on Dec. 21 2012,
Nah, they just ran out of space on the rock.

G, D & R,
CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 10-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.
10-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

On The Money!

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I just see the time travel thing as science types wanting some exciting stuff to ponder. The concrete thing relativity indicates (and the only thing confirmed experimentally) is that the rate of time varies with movement and gravity/acceleration. If you could live on Jupiter, for instance, your clock would constantly run slower than clocks on Earth.

I've never seen how one extrapolates the possibility of time "travel" from the fact that movement/gravity slows down physics. Consider a gravitational singularity, an event of infinite gravity, and which the Big Bang supposedly was. If anything should make time go backward that should . . . but how would expansion from the singularity (as the universe did) ever take place since its infinite gravity would cause the singularity to keep preceding itself!

Past is function of human consciousness, our memory. Raw physics has no such thing. Future is also a function of human conscious, our imagination, and physics doesn't have that either.
I have agreed with your posts and it's refreshing to be reminded of what is going on here.

I wonder if the expansion of the Universe might not be a measure of it's decay. Our perception of the expansion may only be the way we interpret infinite collapse down/inwards - everything being equal and relative.
10-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Yes, but is your existence today the same as it was yesterday? For that matter, did you even exist yesterday in another reality? Ray Bradbury may have been on to something when he wrote "A Sound of Thunder."
Bradbury was overly optimistic. People f*ck much worse than just squashing the wrong bug. A more intriguing take is the short loop in Heinlein's ALL YOU ZOMBIES.

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
Well since the Mayan's believed that there calander would end on Dec. 21 2012,
Nah, they just ran out of space on the rock.
As I mentioned above, I've been to the site of the oldest-known of those rock calendars. It's in Chiapa de Corzo [chee-AP-ah day COR-zoh], Chiapas Mexico. Dang, I love Chiapas! Guatemala too; many fine old stelae there. Anyway, plenty of room on the rock.

BTW Chiapa de Corzo, near the state capitol of Tuxtla Gutierrez [TOOSH-tlah goo-tee-AIR-ess] which has a world-class zoo, is on the Rio Grijalva just upstream from Sumidero Canyon. I *highly* recommend visiting there, taking a boat tour through the vertical canyon, dodging crocodiles and flamingos. Then ride up to the canyon rim and look straight down at the boaters a kilometer below. Awesome place. Too bad it's flooded with neutrinos.
11-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

related: Can general relativity explain the OPERA neutrino result? ? The Register
02-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

BBC News - Faster-than-light neutrinos could be down to bad wiring
02-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

This won't change the minds of all the tabloid-readers who absorbed EINSTEIN IS WRONG headlines, alas.
02-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Otis asked...."what does this mean for Squirrels"....not much Otis, not much.
03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So CERN spent all their money on instruments and didn't hire anyone good at orbital mechanics
Basics, basics, basics.

I'm still not convinced something like that appearing 'faster-than-light' *can't happen,* (My understanding of relativistic physics is kind of more like 'c' is the 'speed of still' so I don't think it necessarily takes massive energies or whatnot to make things map out that way,) ..but the simple fact is you couldn't find any such thing if you don't calibrate your instruments to begin with. Neutrinos interact weakly with our physical instruments as it is, and they're still considered part of our reality, so ..maybe too much was made of this to begin with, indeed. Kind of a sensationalized non-result.