Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Vacation in CO

I'm leaving on vacation early October to head from Illinois to Colorado, spending a week to 10 days and wanted to see if anyone who'd been or lived out there had some good lens suggestions. I've got a 50 1.4, and two kit lenses the 16-55 and the 55-300, but was thinking of renting one or two for the week. I've used and loved the 40 pancake, and the fisheye zoom (10-18?) but dont really have much experience with the better landscape lenses. I was looking most likely toward renting the 12-24 but was wanting some more experienced opinions!

Thanks in advance!
D

09-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a lens suggestion, but if you can definitly go to 'Garden of the Gods' and the 'Mahatou Cliff Dwellings', both near near Colorado Springs.
09-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Picket Wire Canyon a bit south of Pueblo I believe.
Fossilized dinosaur tracks. Maybe a hundred beast feet imprints! It is truly unreal! Spend a day hiking in that canyon along the Purgatory River. Take a gallon of water with you to drink. I went there about 15 years ago and hope to take my son back there someday.
I could vacation in Colorado every year. Rocky Mountain National Park. The Great Sand Dunes. Yeah, seven days around Colorado Springs is good, also. I would pick Colorado over a vacation in Cancun any day.
09-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Rent a 12-24 if you can - it's a fine lens for the scenery you'll encounter... Not a big range on the zoom but it's enough, and the IQ is great.

Garden of the Gods is a very good spot, as is the Manitou Cliff Dwelling (a replica of the original cliffside communities), also Pikes Peak, Rocky Mtn Natl Park, and many other places... Another scenery choice you might consider, if you're driving instead of flying, is the wide-open panoramic views of the high plains you can get from venturing a little ways off the Interstate. I have a couple of panoramas I stitched together, one a 180 degree and one a full 360, where the only manmade thing in sight is the gravel road I parked on - and yet the freeway was less than a half-mile away...

Have a fun vacation!

Jim

09-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The cliff dwellings are not 'replicas'.
Quote from website:
The Manitou Cliff Dwellings is a rare historical treasure. Preserved under a protective red sandstone overhang, authentic Anasazi cliff dwellings, built more than 700 years ago, await you here. There are no "Do Not Touch" signs. You are free to touch and even go inside these fascinating architectural remnants of an American Indian culture that roamed the Four Corners area of the Southwest from 1200 B.C. to A.D. 1300.
09-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Royal Gorge is a great place to spend a day.....
09-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's probably worth having the 12-24 just for the extra wide angle range. Don't think of it as 6mm over the kit lens, think of it as 33% wider. What I do is stitch together shots from my 16-45, which works OK if I pay attention to the settings that I take the shots with. Colorado has a lot of places where "zooming with your feet" - moving back or forward to get the best framing for a shot - might mean a 1000 foot plummet.

The Manitou Cliff Dwellings Ruins Company's version of history:
History of the Manitou Cliff Dwellings
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I lived in northern NM for a while and the Durango area of Co. is great. The Narrow Gauge Railroad is a trip and the San Juan Mts. are breath taking.

09-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
The cliff dwellings are not 'replicas'.
Quote from website:
The Manitou Cliff Dwellings is a rare historical treasure. Preserved under a protective red sandstone overhang, authentic Anasazi cliff dwellings, built more than 700 years ago, await you here. There are no "Do Not Touch" signs. You are free to touch and even go inside these fascinating architectural remnants of an American Indian culture that roamed the Four Corners area of the Southwest from 1200 B.C. to A.D. 1300.
Yes, I have read that (on the tourist attraction/museum/gift shop's website). I've also been there, climbed around in the reconstructed dwelling. From wikipedia:

"The Anasazi peoples did not live in the Manitou Springs area, but lived and built their cliff dwellings in the Four Corners area, several hundred miles southwest of Manitou Springs. The Manitou Cliff Dwellings were built in their present location in the early 1900s, as a tourist attraction. The building stones were taken from a collapsed Anasazi site in southwest Colorado, shipped to Manitou Springs, and assembled in their present form as Anasazi-style buildings, some of which are replicas of well-known buildings in Mesa Verde National Park. The project was done with the participation of well-known anthropologist Dr. Edgar Lee Hewett, but without the permission of any Federal or State agencies, and claims in testimony by descendants of the original entrepreneurs that the dwelling was found 35 miles from Manitou Springs are complete fabrication. [2] [3]"

With citations and sources.

Repeat - it's a great place, it's pretty authentic as far as design and construction, but it's NOT an original community site.

Jim
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't eat the cantaloupe.

Jason