Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Merry Xmas. Happy Xmas.

Stoplight: Merry Tossmas

Same should go for where we purchase photography gifts.

Happy Christmas.

RG.

PS. Happy all the other holidays.

12-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So let me get this straight.... we shouldn't buy from B&H because they celebrate Hanukkah?

I forgot, t'is the season when we're reminded that there's a conspiracy against Christians and Christianity. I guess I can thank Mr. Dobson and his band of merry (non-semitic) elves for that reminder that there is only one way to worship.

Now, where do I send 10% of my salary?
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I refuse to get sucked up into the rhetoric that certain fundamentalist believers love to spin at this time of the year. The only place I won't spend my hard earned money is WalMart. I could write volumes on 'why', but it has nothing to do with retailers lingo.
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Merry Christmas and a Happy Chanukah to all.

I love Xmas because:
the world around me is all lit-up with wonderful colours.
it gives me an opportunity to do some night photography
family and friend come together
I get an extra day off work
people who don't speak to each other all year long actually forget what the argument was all about and share a drink together

I spend my money where I can get the best deal.

Oh, did I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Chanukah to all.

12-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the link JCSullivan. I rather agreed with the video even though it seems to rub some the wrong way. I am very happy to know the real meaning of this season and all that it represents to me as a believer. Jesus is the reason for this season, regardless of the opinions expressed here. Without Him there is no Christmas. Merry Christmas to all.
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Thanks for the link JCSullivan. I rather agreed with the video even though it seems to rub some the wrong way. I am very happy to know the real meaning of this season and all that it represents to me as a believer. Jesus is the reason for this season, regardless of the opinions expressed here. Without Him there is no Christmas. Merry Christmas to all.
uhh....

wasn't Jesus a Jew?

[/flamebait]
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Aparigraha

Attached Images

12-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

lol, nicely played, Beth!

Last edited by OniFactor; 12-06-2007 at 11:55 PM.
12-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
(snip) wasn't Jesus a Jew? (snip)

I guess that very much depends on how you define a "Jew." If you're referring to the nationality, yes. If you're referring to the religion, no. He flatly rejected the religion, offering in it's place the foundations of a religion open to all. Those actions ultimately led to his death.

stewart
12-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Thanks for the link JCSullivan.
I was NOT the poster of the video link, sorry.

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I guess that very much depends on how you define a "Jew." If you're referring to the nationality, yes. If you're referring to the religion, no. He flatly rejected the religion, offering in it's place the foundations of a religion open to all. Those actions ultimately led to his death.

stewart
I don't think so Stewart - politics is what led to his death. And of course the RC's belief of his resurrection which is the basis of that religion.

BUT, I truly do NOT want to get into a religion debate.
12-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #11

[QUOTE=JCSullivan;129975]I was NOT the poster of the video link, sorry.QUOTE]

Oops, sorry
12-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I embrace the diversity of the different holidays that are celebrated at this time of year. Each is different with it's own meaning and each is beautiful. I don't think we should amalgamate or homogenize any of them by lumping them all into one "holiday". Everyone should be allowed to celebrate the holiday of their choice, or all of them, and call each one by it's individual name.

As for the guy in the video, he needs to go read his bible, he seems to have forgotten what it says.
12-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Bible says something about not trashing catalogs using the word holiday instead of Christmas? Regardless, I also embrace the diversity of the holidays, but don't see how avoiding the actual name of an official United States holiday furthers that unless Christmas, the largest such holiday within the USA, is actually excluded from that diversity.

In reality, if any one of the other religions were the majority within the USA, there would likely be holidays relating to that religion. And I somehow suspect most now objecting to the word Christmas would have few objections to that. Therefore, the entire anti-Christmas thing reeks of anti-Christian sentiments. Some insist that is not the case. Perhaps. But, to be honest, I can't think of another reason for the widespread virtual removal of the word Christmas from our language during this holiday season.

By the way, before someone starts a rant based on the idea that I'm a Christian, I'm most certainly not. However, I'm also not anti-Christian or anti-Christmas. Instead, I'm just calling the shots as I see them - and the nasty comments, insults, and rhetoric, here (and many other places this time of year) are typically directed at Christians, not coming from Christians.

stewart
12-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #14

I celebrate all!
I was born in a family which celebrated two christmases - one on Dec 25th, the other on Jan 7th, because my granny is orthodox christian. We still do.
Now at my work, there is a muslim who brings cakes for Bajrams - so I can say that I celebrate Bajram with him. Unfortunately, there are no jews where I work, because I'd probably celebrate their festivities also.
And I am not a religious man. I believe (which may sound contrary to the previous sentence) that all religions stand on the equal footing. I am happy for my friends that are religious and celebrate their religion in a nice and peaceful manner (for those that celebrate christmas by shooting AK47 into the air after midnight mass...let's say that Dante has thought of some places for them) in the air of love and understanding.
Happy holidays for all - christians, muslims, jews, atheists, agnostics, buddhists, hindi... I know I missed someone, but please do not be offended.

Branimir
P.S. As you can see, I still do not celebrate all. But am working on it
12-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's to the church of the Consumer! where christmas is naught but a time to tithe away your sins on presents for your loved ones!

lol, i'm not setting a good example for myself, am i?