Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
~$AUD5.74 a US gallon (~$1.50/litre)

(Resisting all temptations to state 'A US gallon is about 3.78 Litres where I come from....' )
I thought a gallon in Australia was 4.54596l/gallon last time I checked

and with ULP currently @ $1.53/l=$AU6.96 or $US6.88 a Australian gallon

10-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
In Oil rich Alberta still way too much as we export most of it , today we feel less raped as it is about $1.03/Litre. It has been as high as about $1.35 - not sure it's been mentioned as I have not read the entire thread but the game here is usually start at let's say $0.95 - raise it $1.05 - hear the cries of the people , lower it down to $0.98 everyone is happy (then you thibk hey wait a minute .....it started at $0.95 !!!) Loop.

Most fortunate I live 14 steps (yes that's right walking steps) from the office so the last several years I don't need to daily comute at least. At some point though for long trips you have to look at flying and a car rental as a cheaper alternative ....

So that's the secret to all these holidays Dave the cats out of the bad

cheers
10-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I thought a gallon in Australia was 4.54596l/gallon last time I checked

and with ULP currently @ $1.53/l=$AU6.96 or $US6.88 a Australian gallon
I answered this thread over a week ago when the local was $1.49... If you want to correct me by $0.04 a week later ... By all means... But... Where are you pulling this 4.54L/USGallon from ? There is 3.78L per US Gallon. The 4.54 is when dealing with Imperial Gallons - which aren't what we are discussing here (we are talking US Gallons.... Which means you should have said fuel cost $5.78/US Gallon .... )

Go to Google. Type in "1 US Gallon in Litres". You will see the huge answer at the top that says
1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

You aren't aware I take it there is a difference between an Imperial Gallon, and a US Gallon ? Just like there is a difference between a US Ton, an Imperial Ton and a Metric Tonne.... The OP and rest of early thread contributors where all US/Canada based, where they use, you guessed it, US Gallons... So hence Gallons in the context of this thread are US Gallons and not Imperial Gallons....

Last edited by adr1an; 10-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.
10-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Local price is USD 2 per liter of 95 octane (regular). 98 octane (premium) is more expensive. Depending of your specific value of gallon :-) you can compute the gallon price. It will be in excess of USD 7.5, I think.

10-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Around here it comes out to about $8 per gallon today.
10-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #36

Meh, I pay around $9 USD equivalent for an imperial gallon (4.54L and not 3.8L US) but my car does 60mpg lifetime and almost 70mpg highway.

What]s that you say.....60mpg?!!! what is it...a plastic car with three wheels.......actually no.......its a 2.0l diesel BMW capable of 130 mph and 0 to 60mph in under 9 seconds.

I dont see many oil burners when I come to the US and A on vacation and 30mpg highway seems to be a target for car sales.
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Looks like it is around $3.70 for premium right now (the car requires it).

10-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an update from here in the States - the price has been edging up steadily here. When this thread started, it was about $3.07/gal & heading down to about $2.99. From there it's gone up over the past 2 weeks & stands at $3.45/gal. (yes, I know we have it cheap & no right to complain at all )
10-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aardvark Quote
I dont see many oil burners when I come to the US and A on vacation and 30mpg highway seems to be a target for car sales.
Yeah, I think people here are getting a bit better at choosing a car from what we are offered. It's more forced than anything else though.

However when I wanted something all-wheel-drive that wasn't an SUV or a truck, there were only a few options. My car doesn't really have much better mileage than the big vehicles athough... It is fun I have to say. Highway millage is around 25mpg, but 0-60 is around 5.5 sec.

I actually tried selling the car to get something more efficient, but it didn't have enough value at the time. I'm glad in retrospect because all-wheel-drive is very helpful in the winter months.
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aardvark Quote
Meh, I pay around $9 USD equivalent for an imperial gallon (4.54L and not 3.8L US) but my car does 60mpg lifetime and almost 70mpg highway.

What]s that you say.....60mpg?!!! what is it...a plastic car with three wheels.......actually no.......its a 2.0l diesel BMW capable of 130 mph and 0 to 60mph in under 9 seconds.

How about a picture of this car since I have never seen one. For privacy you may wish to blur the license plates if they are in the photo.
10-19-2011, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
How about a picture of this car since I have never seen one. For privacy you may wish to blur the license plates if they are in the photo.

Mine is black and lifetime mpg is showing as 58.9mpg with mixed city and highway over the last 34,000 miles. On a motorway it regulary tells me I have a range of 900 miles on one tank of diesel and it returns about 71mpg at 70mph steady. Round cities it brings my average down a bit. Mine has less toys than the one in the video and cost quite a bit less than the price quoted.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aardvark; 10-19-2011 at 04:06 PM.
10-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I drive an 18 mpg Ford Ranger Pretty good for a V6 truck

gas is currently about $3.80 give or take 5 cents here
10-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Currently about 133-139 yen per liter. I haven't the slightest idea what that is in dollars per gallon.
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Prices just went up here again, back to around 3.50 a gallon US, maybe more. My wagon claimed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 or 22 mpg when new: I'm aiming to be getting about that in the real world when I've got her in good tune and order: (I drive pretty efficiently and know a few tricks that ought to compensate for age and miles on, somewhat, if all goes well. You'd be surprised what a tree-hugging, dirt-worshipping semi-motorhead gal can accomplish in that regard. My full-sized V-8 truck got twenty, to the wonder and amazement of some friends. )

(Diesel is nice, though historically, in the US, the cost-per-gallon didn't really offset the mileage gains well enough for it to really catch on, I think. I wonder how that works out now that gas prices are so high. )

(Hey, speaking of cars, does anyone like any wiper blades/refills out there? Not too fancy, but I actually do generally find that a few bucks over than uber-cheap is usually worth it. (I guess being a photographer, I have some kind of attachment to clean glass or something. ) I might order some online, but I was just in a store this week and didn't really recognize what I saw. I guess it's been a while. Anyway, on my car, I think the springs are fine: this place just beats the hec out of rubber with the heat and Sun and all. It was funny during the unusual cold and snow, people were like 'Why are you making your wipers stick up like that when you park?' 'So they don't freeze down.' ' I don't know where I'm going to find a snow brush. When we had snow, I was out rescuing people and they were like, 'What's that?' 'This is your friend, tonight.'

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.
10-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(Hey, speaking of cars, does anyone like any wiper blades/refills out there? Not too fancy, but I actually do generally find that a few bucks over than uber-cheap is usually worth it.

With that I fully agree. I avoid the high and the low, usually buying at the mid-point after going to the parts store and reading the boxes.

About a year ago I replaced the ones on a 96 model for the first time ever. It was different than any I ever did before. The entire blade part came as a unit not as a refill like the old days. I mention this so you can take a hard look at yours before you buy.