Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much is a gallon of gas wherever you are?

Has been very quiet on this as of late. So are they going upwards or its now where you intend to grow/recycle your own fuel?

has it disrupted your photography business as in having to raise prices, smaller operational area or changing vehicle for the fuel economy?

09-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well,

I live in the Netherlands, the sad #1 in this list:

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

No, so far it has not stopped many people of getting into their cars....
Fuel efficient cars have never been more popular than now, however.

Bert
09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well,

I live in the Netherlands, the sad #1 in this list:

CNN/Money: Global gas prices

No, so far it has not stopped many people of getting into their cars....
Fuel efficient cars have never been more popular than now, however.

Bert
Apparently we Aussies don't buy enough petrol to figure in this chart, so I did a bit of a rough conversion myself.

Petrol prices vary between around $1.35 and $1.150 per litre in these parts. That equates to approximately $5.00 and up per gallon. (3.785 litres = 1 gallon x approx $1.40 Au) Which would place us somewhere between Hungary and Portugal on the chart.
09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best price I've seen lately in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area is $3.07 a gallon. It's been dropping steadily over the past couple weeks. The gas pricing hasn't stopped me from driving, but it's made me plan my trips around town more carefully. Things like combining several stops on one trip, looking for quicker routes and trying to avoid driving during rush hours.

09-28-2011, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than comparing actual prices around the world, a more revealing survey might be to find out how much ii costs in 'time worked' to afford a gallon, or litre, of Gasoline.

For example a price of $1 per gallon may seem inexpensive, but if that price is in a market where the average wage is, say, $100 per week, it is comparatively more expensive than $5.00 per gallon fuel in a market where the average wage is $600 per week.

For example, Australian average wage is around $70k per annum, with some, like Miners who earn up to twice that. So, an average worker earns (70k/52/38) around $35 per hour. So Petrol at $5.00 per gallon equates to 1/7 of an hour per gallon.

Anyone care to do their local calculations?
09-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Rather than comparing actual prices around the world, a more revealing survey might be to find out how much ii costs in 'time worked' to afford a gallon, or litre, of Gasoline.

For example a price of $1 per gallon may seem inexpensive, but if that price is in a market where the average wage is, say, $100 per week, it is comparatively more expensive than $5.00 per gallon fuel in a market where the average wage is $600 per week.

For example, Australian average wage is around $70k per annum, with some, like Miners who earn up to twice that. So, an average worker earns (70k/52/38) around $35 per hour. So Petrol at $5.00 per gallon equates to 1/7 of an hour per gallon.

Anyone care to do their local calculations?
About 1/11 hour/gallon in my locale (Iowa) - I'm retired and alone - it is no burden for me. I think it costs about 1.5x as much for the median worker.
09-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Depends where in Australia you live - I live remotely so $8.84/gal for reg. ULP.

09-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Depends where in Australia you live - I live remotely so $8.84/gal for reg. ULP.
Geez, way up there you really want a car with WINGS on it to go to your nearest Pentax stockist.

from Google maps

Your search for pentax near Bamaga QLD 4876, Australia did not match any locations.

Suggestions:
  • Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords

I've got got a company car so for me it would be $0.00 /gal.
09-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I noticed that if you read the news story, the last line reads: "All prices updated March, 2005."

Here now in Greece is about 1.75 eurocents per liter...3.8 liters to a gallon = 6.65 euros per gallon. If you do the current exchange into US Dollars, the cost is $9.08 per gallon. 1 year ago was nearly half the current price. Greece has the second highest gasoline prices in Europe (surprise) behind the Netherlands.

Jason
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's about $3.38 for regular gas right now, sometimes a bit less depending upon where you go, and yes, it definitely has had an impact on how much I drive period. I wait a lot more, combine trips, and I do a lot of my photography in the course of doing those trips rather than doing day trips. I'm going to be shooting a little this fall, portraits and stuff, but most of my people will be coming to me, or are very local to me. I'm not taking jobs too far out of range as yet. Can't afford the gas $$$.
09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

$1.15 per liter this morning for the medium blend, but then our gas comes all the way from Alberta, Oh wait I live there. However one figures it out it is more expensive than in Montana and the gas stations do not sell beer

There is a reason that Canadians statistically drive more small cars than our southern neighbours, fuel taxes are partly designed to encourage this. When I first started driving my own car gas was 51 cents per gallon and minimum wage was 1.10 so half an hour per gallon, now it most likely here is about half an hour at minimum wage for a gallon (Imperial) of gas however fuel economy is much better except for the fact that there are more large units but a good car for fuel other than the Beetle was in the high 20 mpg and now that is much higher.
09-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

1.558 € / litre (E95), so about 5.92 € / gallon (3.8 litres), with the current exchange rate (1.36) this would be US$ 8.05 / gallon. Average wage is 2980 € / month (2009), about 17.33 € / h so. 0.34 h / gallon. Income tax for 36000€/year would be about 28%, net income hence about 12.48 / h which works out to 0.47 h / gallon.
09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

They're finally starting to drop here, pretty precipitously, actually, after being stuck up around 3.80 or so a gallon for a while longer than the market prices would indicate, but they're starting to price-war, it seems. Think it was 3.35 the other day when I stopped, and the little guys I walked by were at maybe 3.40, today. (They're usually the slowest to lower prices: they seem to be on a pretty tight margin.)

Everything's ridiculously-tight, but gas prices really don't hit me too hard, directly. (The fact that they make everything *else* more expensive kind of does.) I don't drive too much, but it was quite an investment to initially put a bunch in this tank. (Big tank. ) The price fluctiations themselves don't really add up to too much, though, compared to just being 'high,' (For the U.S, anyway) I didn't buy it all at once, so it averaged out to about 3.50 a gallon at most, I estimate, and hopefully won't take too much to keep a fairly full tank, (I just feel better when I have that.) It dissuades me not to take frivolous trips, though, at least till I get this old gal running more efficiently.

Heard they were like 3.07 at one place in downtown Atlanta, though.
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If i did my conversion right it's $4.69/gallon here in Toronto ($1.24/L)
09-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In Pennsylvania, it's dropped from $3.69/gal to about $3.53/gal. in the last few weeks. I'm hoping it trends down more, since I go through 30 gal. each week, just for work use.